NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Apparently NZ races are all war events and have an AFTERMATH!

Considering in NZ they only interview the winning Jockeys and Trainers why does the Trackside presenter insist on calling it an AFTERMATH.

noun [ U ] /ˈæf·tərˌmæθ/ the period following an event, such as an accident or war, and the effects caused by the event: We all worked together in the aftermath of the earthquake.

• Like 2

I remember looking that up some time ago because I thought it was a strange use of the word. Cambridge says, "AFTERMATH definition: 1. the period that follows an unpleasant event or accident, and the effects that it causes."

Most New Zealanders  have been raised in a working class environment where clichés and phrases/words like aftermath are common. So we parrot them and being an isolated country did not have a lot of people around us, better educated, particularly re language, who would correct us. Yes there are many of us who have improved our language skills but now we are in the digital age the younger generation do not care. Much discussion is no longer face to face, just like this forum. So roll with the punches "Cos nxt year Rodney' we'll all be willionaires. 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Wingman said:

Most New Zealanders  have been raised in a working class environment where clichés and phrases/words like aftermath are common. So we parrot them and being an isolated country did not have a lot of people around us, better educated, particularly re language, who would correct us. Yes there are many of us who have improved our language skills but now we are in the digital age the younger generation do not care. Much discussion is no longer face to face, just like this forum. So roll with the punches "Cos nxt year Rodney' we'll all be willionaires. 

That may be, but it doesn't make it acceptable in a professional sports presentation imo.

old school standards, todays standards.. that's why old people huffed and puffed when we were young and now we are, if we choose to be, now the huffers and puffers. Don't be surprised, if you are still around Curious, that presentation will go up a significant notch in another decade or so, as what you deem to be unacceptable presentation, is seen as just that by an emerging generation. Full circle.

• Like 1

Fair points W, but still unacceptable for mine.

Professional standards my arse.

Language is one defining difference of our species.

It's sobering when the immigrant folk I converse with on a daily basis speak better English than we do.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wingman said:

re language, who would correct us. Yes there are many of us who have improved our language skills 

for me, it was via girlfriend who was doing a Masters in Soc at Massey, that lead me to moving into a flat with some bright cookies! The found the need to correct me, especially around malapropism! One I recall that use to get some going! was H, the saying, pronunciation of that, apparently growing up in Waltham, going to catholic schools! we said it rong!!!

if I had a bane about the 'talking heads',  it would be around the questions they ask a trainer or jockey after a race, often they make a statement, the T or J has a puzzled look and parrots back a inane answer!  So shown in the aftermath of the big race at Tauranga on Saturday!

23 hours ago, Murray Fish said:

for me, it was via girlfriend who was doing a Masters in Soc at Massey, that lead me to moving into a flat with some bright cookies! The found the need to correct me, especially around malapropism! One I recall that use to get some going! was H, the saying, pronunciation of that, apparently growing up in Waltham, going to catholic schools! we said it rong!!!

if I had a bane about the 'talking heads',  it would be around the questions they ask a trainer or jockey after a race, often they make a statement, the T or J has a puzzled look and parrots back a inane answer!  So shown in the aftermath of the big race at Tauranga on Saturday!

Hell yeah, those questions are cringeworthy.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...