Bit Of A Yarn

Calendar Innovation Project

I'm going back earlier to when I was quite small, and the United Service was pretty upmarket for its time.

Many visiting dignitaries stayed there and my mother used to do floral arrangements for them, in particular the King and Queen of Thailand .

Wrt the Calendar..?

Personally I think it is bollocks, appears to cut out most of the South island, and as NZTR will be defunct if RITA is put in place, why bother even giving it a passing thought?

NZTR have already and repeatedly shown themselves to be lacking in vision and integrity, why should a shiny 'new ' plan mean anything other than self-justification?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Turny said:

All spin Hesi

My list was a practical list showing what punters want, but we aren't in the mix

Their list is pure spin

If you look through the balance sheet for the most recent NZTR Annual Report, they don't even have a budget for Marketing and Promotion, I don't think they even have a Marketing person, so how can all this happen.

Next they will be talking about an industry working group, you know the sort, that donate their time to 2 meetings per year..........amateurish

19 hours ago, Turny said:

Good report.

At no cost I will give you some innovative ideas

Return trackside to free to air (an absolute must - item 1 page 1)

No entry charge to go on course

Saturday racing starts 1.30 pm and last race of 9 at 5.30pm

Return Derby Day to Boxing Day

For summer allow on course picnic venues complete with BYO

Forget about twilight racing

Send a team to any Australian venue and see how to provide edible food on course - hot dog and chips remains in the 70s

Have on course patrons jackpots over 5 races

Stop the slaughter of over priced alcohol on course

Reward people who go on course regularly a form of "flybuys" they can cash in for drinks and food

I could add 20 more but another day maybe

Raises the question of, do you schedule based on what is best for the horses, or what is best for racing overall.

The Derby in March, clearly gives more time for the 3 year olds to mature, and is a lead into the derby at Randwick, but course attendance is poor

The Derby on Boxing Day, gave 3 year olds more time, was out of sync with the racing in Aus, but was very popular, that is when the ARC allowed picnics, boot parties and BYO in the infield.

It's ironic, that this was cut out, sure there were the troublemakers, but mainly it was 'middle NZ' enjoying a bit of relaxation at the races after Xmas Day, with the Xmas dinner leftovers and a bottle of wine.  Now it's the nouveau riche getting pie eyed in the stands, which seems more acceptable.

Can't beat tradition, look at NZ Cup Day at Riccarton, even though the field for the cup was piss poor

Edited by hesi

Who would have thought...."racing at HQ every week"

What a damn shame the suits, including Russell Warwick, got rid of the only training centre that had been planned in the Metro area...which would have encouraged greater investment into wide ranging Thoroughbred interest...

"Stubbs and his fellow directors, including radio broadcaster Barry Holland, have backed Price Rd because they believe it is necessary to have a training facility in the northern region to draw fields to Ellerslie.

"Auckland is a major racing centre of New Zealand and if we don't have a training facility, people will lose interest in owning horses [in Auckland]," said Stubbs.
At Price Rd, the club will be able to lease facilities, helping young trainers."

12 hours ago, Freda said:

I'm going back earlier to when I was quite small, and the United Service was pretty upmarket for its time.

Many visiting dignitaries stayed there and my mother used to do floral arrangements for them, in particular the King and Queen of Thailand .

Wrt the Calendar..?

Personally I think it is bollocks, appears to cut out most of the South island, and as NZTR will be defunct if RITA is put in place, why bother even giving it a passing thought?

NZTR have already and repeatedly shown themselves to be lacking in vision and integrity, why should a shiny 'new ' plan mean anything other than self-justification?

And of course Freda, the insulting piece of KUK issued earlier last week by that bastion of integrity and fairness, the NZTR re their stance on harassment and bullying. 

They will regret issuing this piece of hypocrisy.....especially as a senior official who was embroiled in the Kate Goodrich v Kilmore Race Club bullying allegations and subsequently surfaced in the shaky isles a few years ago to take up a senior position in the racing industry.