NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Waverley

I'm intrigued they can only start 12 in the maiden steeples at Waverley, 3 ballots. The field is hardly going to be as tightly packed as in a flat race.

I imagine it is because there are only 12 jockeys rather than any track limitations.

Could be a bit tough if the trainer of a balloted horse had a jockey keen to ride his horse but the jockey was forced to ride another horse because of jockey numbers rather than track limits.

I could be totally wrong, perhaps jumps races always have smaller limits and we just haven't seen large acceptances for a while.

15 hours ago, Doomed said:

I'm intrigued they can only start 12 in the maiden steeples at Waverley, 3 ballots. The field is hardly going to be as tightly packed as in a flat race.

I imagine it is because there are only 12 jockeys rather than any track limitations.

Could be a bit tough if the trainer of a balloted horse had a jockey keen to ride his horse but the jockey was forced to ride another horse because of jockey numbers rather than track limits.

I could be totally wrong, perhaps jumps races always have smaller limits and we just haven't seen large acceptances for a while.

I was pretty pissed off they didn't split the Maiden chase, was 16 noms so could have run two 8 horse races.  Nothing in the CD now for jumpers until the 25th of August or a week earlier at Rotorua. I would have gone south with my one but no low grade chase for whatever reason, and I do love a trip to the Chch winter carnival but nothing to go unfortunately. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Bid said:

I was pretty pissed off they didn't split the Maiden chase, was 16 noms so could have run two 8 horse races.  Nothing in the CD now for jumpers until the 25th of August or a week earlier at Rotorua. I would have gone south with my one but no low grade chase for whatever reason, and I do love a trip to the Chch winter carnival but nothing to go unfortunately. 

I don't think you are the only one scratching their head about the programme.  It's almost as if there is a desire to destroy the carnival - as we knew it - altogether.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Freda said:

I don't think you are the only one scratching their head about the programme.  It's almost as if there is a desire to destroy the carnival - as we knew it - altogether.

They've already done that haven't they?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, curious said:

They've already done that haven't they?

It will be interesting to see how many they get for the Cashmere Plate. The CJC has taken it upon themselves to run one 2yo race since the Champagne 3 months ago. Obviously working on the theory there are heaps of 2yos just waiting in the wings until they turn 3 before they get going.

The old model where they ran the Haldon Plate in July seemed to work ok. The Haldon often got divided too. But who are we to think we know more than the highly paid experts.

• Like 3

Going back even further...there was a 2 year old parade, just up the straight, run at the National meeting, often two heats of a dozen or more babies.  No shortage of youngsters then.

Along with the ordinary handicap two year old races, the first major aim following that was the McLean Stakes at Otago, into the Welcome Stakes at Cup time,  the Otago two year old race on Boxing day [ DJC Champagne I think ] then the Challenge at the Midsummer meet, then the Champagne at Easter.   sigh...structure...

Edited by Freda
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Freda said:

Going back even further...there was a 2 year old parade, just up the straight, run at the National meeting, often two heats of a dozen or more babies.  No shortage of youngsters then.

Along with the ordinary handicap two year old races, the first major aim following that was the McLean Stakes at Otago, into the Welcome Stakes at Cup time,  the Otago two year old race on Boxing day [ DJC Champagne I think ] then the Challenge at the Midsummer meet, then the Champagne at Easter.   sigh...structure...

They even used to have a race for 2yo fillies. Perish the thought these days.

They are probably busy organising a slot race on the AWT. And if they weren't, but now think that's a great idea, I would expect some sort of royalty for the inspiration.

• Like 3

Interesting day's racing at Waverley. Must be a while since one trainer has trained all five jumps winners on a NZ race card. Good to see a high class hurdler win a flat race as well. I can't remember the last time that happened in NZ. Happens a bit in Aussie.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Doomed said:

Interesting day's racing at Waverley. Must be a while since one trainer has trained all five jumps winners on a NZ race card. Good to see a high class hurdler win a flat race as well. I can't remember the last time that happened in NZ. Happens a bit in Aussie.

The Cossack R75 2200m at Hastings last year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doomed said:

Must be a while since one trainer has trained all five jumps winners on a NZ race card.

3 Quinellas , a 1st/3rd, and a 1st /4th for K Myers as well.🏆

10 jumpers in the money 💰 in the 5 Jumps races. What a Performance by that stable !!

A stunning achievement , and well done to the jockeys too.  

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

2 hours ago, Gammalite said:

3 Quinellas , a 1st/3rd, and a 1st /4th for K Myers as well.🏆

10 jumpers in the money 💰 in the 5 Jumps races. What a Performance by that stable !!

A stunning achievement , and well done to the jockeys too.  

Hope you recovered from Leap To Fame , Gamma , he something special.

Kevin Myers seems to condition his horses so well.

Many of those that featured today for him ,including 4 x winners were competing in the Castle Point Beach races in late February . He had over 30 x horses at Castle Point from memory.

Plus 3 of his winners have raced on the Synthetic in past 5 x weeks so varies their work !

Another interesting fact today was that after a fall there  were only  9 x  jumps jockeys available after 1 x stand down which resulted in a scratching from maiden chase. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

Hope you recovered from Leap To Fame , Gamma , he something special.

Kevin Myers seems to condition his horses so well.

That is something else. That horse on another level to any predecessors. Leap To Fame a hoof-in for the NZ Cup if Swayzee can beat Akuta there (like he did last year)

Kevin Myers awesome mate. The kiwi jumpers always a great sight.

I went to Ellerslie a few years for the 'Great Northern' . Nearly passed out as holding breathe for a few minutes as the magnificent animals charged the fences. Kenny Browne to the fore. 😁

and of course with the Olympics on Sir Mark Todd , a legend of New Zealand always springs to mind. CHECK Out this Jump ??😳🫣. OMG !! looks like Man from Snowy River type stuff.  (they're all quite mad, it's a bit safer sitting on 2 wheels I suggest 😆)

even Kevin Myers might struggle to get some over the obstacles that Mark took on around the world with Charisma (and his other great horses)

and wishing the kiwi and Aussie equestrians a great olympics this time round too.

images.jpg.4fc8c8312cf9eb515ebd4535a115a59b.jpg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Gammalite said:

That is something else. That horse on another level to any predecessors. Leap To Fame a hoof-in for the NZ Cup if Swayzee can beat Akuta there (like he did last year)

Kevin Myers awesome mate. The kiwi jumpers always a great sight.

I went to Ellerslie a few years for the 'Great Northern' . Nearly passed out as holding breathe for a few minutes as the magnificent animals charged the fences. Kenny Browne to the fore. 😁

and of course with the Olympics on Sir Mark Todd , a legend of New Zealand always springs to mind. CHECK Out this Jump ??😳🫣. OMG !! looks like Man from Snowy River type stuff.  (they're all quite mad, it's a bit safer sitting on 2 wheels I suggest 😆)

even Kevin Myers might struggle to get some over the obstacles that Mark took on around the world with Charisma (and his other great horses)

and wishing the kiwi and Aussie equestrians a great olympics this time round too.

images.jpg.4fc8c8312cf9eb515ebd4535a115a59b.jpg

Yes ,brilliant horses at the Olympics........Kiwis doing very well and their interviews were great....very positive and gave a lot of credit to the magnificence of their horses.

And they very bullish about their horses and their Showjumping ability.

Currently 6th , but hopefully they can get into the medals as a team !

We need some reward cos the Aussie horses coming over to Cup week to take home our big stakes.

Aussie owners been doing it a lot in recent times , but a repeat of Aussie trainers and drivers will be too much !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TAB For Ever said:

Yes ,brilliant horses at the Olympics........Kiwis doing very well and their interviews were great....very positive and gave a lot of credit to the magnificence of their horses.

And they very bullish about their horses and their Showjumping ability.

Currently 6th , but hopefully they can get into the medals as a team !

Have always loved it. teams Aus and NZ had some great clashes in the 90's and a few teams and individual medals. Australia with team gold at Barcelona, Atlanta and Sydney. 

Alas an Aussie horse broke down in the cross country yesterday so we are out of it at Paris. They did get silver last time in Tokyo. so hoping NZ have a great show-jumping day today and can medal today.

The Rugby 7's I like too. the kiwi and Aussie men's teams both dumped out of the medals by South Africa 🙄, which was a bit unfortunate. 

Could be a Quinella in the women's though. I'm picking the Aussie girls to knock off the defending champions Black Ferns lol 😁🥇 the girls are super primed.

1 hour ago, TAB For Ever said:

Aussie owners been doing it a lot in recent times , but a repeat of Aussie trainers and drivers will be too much !

yeah a few NZ Cups sitting here in Australia lately with Self Assured and Copy Thats and Swayzee's all crossing over the ditch with the Aussie owners.

Grant Dixon is terrific bloke though and Seymour the owner of Leap To Fame has poured a lot of money into harness racing over decades to keep it all going here, so can't begrudge him , a top horse after racing must be a thousand previously. NZ Cup looks a certainty.