NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Livamol Day At Te Rapa

All The Aces

LIVAMOL TO TE RAPA
Follow the partial abandonment of Saturday’s meeting at Hastings, New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing (NZTR) has made the decision to move the Saturday 12 October raceday and Group 1 Livamol Classic to Te Rapa. The move of the Group races is still subject to final Pattern Committee approval.
The Saturday 28 September Group 1 Arrowfield Stud Plate meeting at Hastings was partially abandoned following a horse slipping in the first race. Post abandonment work was carried out to the area of concern past the winning post and a set of jumpouts were held on Monday at the track. The jumpouts went without incident with several senior riders in attendance. A risk assessment was undertaken by NZTR management into, not only the safety of the track, but whether the industry could risk further damage should the worst happen given the tracks recent history.
“NZTR Board and management have carefully considered the remedial work that was completed on the track. After assessing all aspects of the situation, management believe it will pose considerable financial and reputational risk to the industry in the event of another abandonment at the same venue. Given the limited time to thoroughly test the track, the difficult decision was made to move the meeting to Te Rapa.” - Darin Balcombe, NZTR COO
“NZTR understand the devastating impact this will have on the Hawke’s Bay Club and region, and we will work with the Club over the coming weeks to provide support and identify a pathway forward.”
NZTR recognise the significance of this decision for Hawkes Bay Racing. However, the transfer will give industry participants certainty that a day of this importance to the industry can move forward without any apprehension.
“NZTR is committed to the long-term sustainability and safety of our racing operations and intend to return racing to the Hawke’s Bay.”

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, All The Aces said:
LIVAMOL TO TE RAPA
Follow the partial abandonment of Saturday’s meeting at Hastings, New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing (NZTR) has made the decision to move the Saturday 12 October raceday and Group 1 Livamol Classic to Te Rapa. The move of the Group races is still subject to final Pattern Committee approval.
The Saturday 28 September Group 1 Arrowfield Stud Plate meeting at Hastings was partially abandoned following a horse slipping in the first race. Post abandonment work was carried out to the area of concern past the winning post and a set of jumpouts were held on Monday at the track. The jumpouts went without incident with several senior riders in attendance. A risk assessment was undertaken by NZTR management into, not only the safety of the track, but whether the industry could risk further damage should the worst happen given the tracks recent history.
“NZTR Board and management have carefully considered the remedial work that was completed on the track. After assessing all aspects of the situation, management believe it will pose considerable financial and reputational risk to the industry in the event of another abandonment at the same venue. Given the limited time to thoroughly test the track, the difficult decision was made to move the meeting to Te Rapa.” - Darin Balcombe, NZTR COO
“NZTR understand the devastating impact this will have on the Hawke’s Bay Club and region, and we will work with the Club over the coming weeks to provide support and identify a pathway forward.”
NZTR recognise the significance of this decision for Hawkes Bay Racing. However, the transfer will give industry participants certainty that a day of this importance to the industry can move forward without any apprehension.
“NZTR is committed to the long-term sustainability and safety of our racing operations and intend to return racing to the Hawke’s Bay.”

A few questions.

How bad is the track that it cant be OK for 2 weeks time?

If senior riders say its OK after holding jumpouts - why are NZTR still moving the meeting?

What is the pathway forward that they will be identifying?

Wasn't Darren Balcombe running Hastings Racetrack before getting his current role?

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Assange said:

A few questions.

How bad is the track that it cant be OK for 2 weeks time?

If senior riders say its OK after holding jumpouts - why are NZTR still moving the meeting?

What is the pathway forward that they will be identifying?

Wasn't Darren Balcombe running Hastings Racetrack before getting his current role?

I doubt it will be used again without major reconstruction.

I wonder whether one of the problems is trying to accommodate a very awkward 1,600m start. I have often wondered why so many NZ racecourses have terrible 1,600m starts. It is almost as if 1,600m wasn't a popular distance when these tracks were designed many years ago.

The only two tracks I know of that have made an effort to fix their 1,600m starts are Oamaru and Woodville. Both very successfully, but doesn't seem to have done either club much good. 

Perhaps HB simply needs to give up on 1,600m races so the track can be properly cambered. Gore seems to survive without 1,600m racing. HB could follow the lead of Rosehill and Rotorua and stick to 1,500m races.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

The word I heard was that when Balcombe was CEO of Hawke’s Bay racing he knew about the problem bit didn't do anything to fix it.

Ironically he is now instrumental in determining the Livamol meeting be transferred to Te Rapa.

Yes, and the meeting has been transferred to Te Rapa run by a past CEO of Hawkes Bay, The Fat Butcher who also had meetings abandoned. I recall that a Livermol race day was postponed until Labour weekend due to the track.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2024 at 8:38 PM, Chief Stipe said:

The word I heard was that when Balcombe was CEO of Hawke’s Bay racing he knew about the problem bit didn't do anything to fix it.

Ironically he is now instrumental in determining the Livamol meeting be transferred to Te Rapa.

He wasn't worried about pulling the 30 years ago they didn't fix it card on Weigh In either.

On 1/10/2024 at 6:25 PM, Doomed said:

I wonder whether one of the problems is trying to accommodate a very awkward 1,600m start. I have often wondered why so many NZ racecourses have terrible 1,600m starts. It is almost as if 1,600m wasn't a popular distance when these tracks were designed many years ago.

The only two tracks I know of that have made an effort to fix their 1,600m starts are Oamaru and Woodville. Both very successfully, but doesn't seem to have done either club much good. 

Perhaps HB simply needs to give up on 1,600m races so the track can be properly cambered. Gore seems to survive without 1,600m racing. HB could follow the lead of Rosehill and Rotorua and stick to 1,500m races.

Otaki created a new one. It is perfect, with a long run down the back straight. Then so f#ck whits took their Gr1 off them and gave it to the Avondale haters to race on their new [still questionable] round course with the faulty corner into the home straight.

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 2