NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Bruce Sharrock resigns

NZTR CEO Bruce Sharrock Resigns

New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing (NZTR) has today announced the resignation of its Chief Executive Bruce Sharrock, effective 31 December, following a decision made several weeks ago.

Under his leadership, Sharrock, who has served as CEO since April 2022, has brought about important changes and progress to the industry. 

“I joined NZTR with a genuine passion for racing and a determination to see us return to the glory days of the sport. I am immensely proud of what we have accomplished over the past 30 months, and feel the time is right to step aside and let the team continue to execute this vision for the future,” said Sharrock.

NZTR Chairman Russell Warwick commended Sharrock for his leadership through a time of transformational change.

“Bruce has played an integral role in navigating the business through some challenging times in recent years, guiding the industry through the pressures of the back end of the Covid-19 pandemic and repositioning the NZTR offices and functions from Petone to Cambridge being just two examples of his leadership,” Warwick said.

“During his time at NZTR he has built a first-class team around him, and I would like to thank him for his commitment to the revitalisation of racing”

Sharrock is grounded by the quality of people that the organisation has attracted and acknowledges the hard work, commitment and support from the staff throughout his time as CEO.   

“I would like to thank the NZTR Board and staff who have supported me throughout my tenure.”  

“The building blocks are in place to enable a bright future for New Zealand racing. We now need to accelerate and capitalise on the opportunities ahead,” Sharrock said.

Sharrock will remain in his role as CEO until 31 December and will continue as a consultant to NZTR until 31 March to oversee the implementation of current projects.    

Hanging around as a consultant is an absolute insult to the industry and just another piss take , the industry is full of these situations in racing clubs etc also. Its not enough that they have a COO to guide the industry while he is not there? He seems to have been doing that role for sometime already.

• Like 3

After putting on my thinking cap about possible newbies??

@TAB For Ever  To busy, to high on the official cool aid!

Trump is tied up with a election! and a few Court cases!

I recon that it is time to sort of jump on the Entain 'sports and racing entertainment' vibe!  

Hence Vince McMahon!!!!

https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJzj4tTP1TcwLDavMjBg9OIty8xLTlXITc5NzMjPAwBkegg0&q=vince+mcmahon&rlz=1C1CHBF_enNZ913NZ913&oq=wvince&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqDwgBEC4YChiDARixAxiABDIGCAAQRRg5Mg8IARAuGAoYgwEYsQMYgAQyDwgCEAAYChiDARixAxiABDIMCAMQLhgKGLEDGIAEMg8IBBAuGAoYrwEYxwEYgAQyDwgFEC4YChiDARixAxiABDIPCAYQLhgKGK8BGMcBGIAEMgwIBxAuGAoYsQMYgAQyEggIEAAYChiDARixAxiABBiKBdIBCTY3NjNqMGoxNagCCLACAQ&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The track debacle is probably what has drawn out his resignation but the botched project endeavouring to integrate NZTR data with Australian counterpart and 5 to 6 million dollars later, nothing to show for it, will be a major stain on credibility/performance. Read into what you will, a new chair arrives and in a relatively short time he is gone. The best thing that can now happen is for his direct reports to follow him out the door.

A new CEO, a new team of GM's, A new era and no, please, no 2nd/3rd rate career admin type from across the ditch. The board will if they are sensible appoint a local who understands the importance of the Racing Calendar and pattern. One who understands casual betting, serious punting and can articulate how they differ. This person will bring the right people into the right positions. One that understands that group black type is what matters most and will not allow KM to continue to distort the calendar. That will also see some tracks getting some serious attention and meaning not all Group one racing will remain where it is currently raced.

4 minutes ago, Wingman said:

e track debacle is probably what has drawn out his resignation but the botched project endeavouring to integrate NZTR data with Australian counterpart and 5 to 6 million dollars later, nothing to show for it, will be a major stain on credibility/performance.

But Cameron George and Mackenzie (?) sponsored that debacle.  It was well on the way to being a stuff up before Sharrock turned up.

6 minutes ago, Wingman said:

A new CEO, a new team of GM's, A new era and no, please, no 2nd/3rd rate career admin type from across the ditch. The board will if they are sensible appoint a local who understands the importance of the Racing Calendar and pattern. One who understands casual betting, serious punting and can articulate how they differ. This person will bring the right people into the right positions. One that understands that group black type is what matters most and will not allow KM to continue to distort the calendar. That will also see some tracks getting some serious attention and meaning not all Group one racing will remain where it is currently raced.

Agree 110%!

19 minutes ago, Wingman said:

A new era and no, please, no 2nd/3rd rate career admin type from across the ditch

lol, perhaps that approach is needed as what sensible young ambitious person with the needed skills want a gig like this??? 

Similar comments could be said re Track managers!