Bit Of A Yarn

Horse racing under attack

Basil

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/racing/108544739/horse-racing-the-sport-of-kings-or-dead-cert-gamblingdriven-animal-cruelty

Although mainly focused on thoroughbreds, it certainly gives the lie to the claim (made by some on here) that SAFE et al do not care about the use of whips.

It's hard to know whether eliminating the whip would placate animal welfare groups, but it's such a simple and low-cost step to take that not giving it a try seems like gross folly.

Pretty balanced article.

The article itself won't make much of a splash as it is lengthy and not sensational. Printed matter will never outdo the visual of a horse breaking down in the Melbourne Cup.

Good to see, from a harness perspective, the low death rate of horses compared to the gallops. Maybe consistent tracks helps us there.

As for the whip, interesting to see the study said they didn't make a difference.

I still cling to my believe that harness is a distant third behind the greyhounds and gallops as a target for the welfare groups.

However, harness has it's own issues so people in glasshouses...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Pretty balanced article.

The article itself won't make much of a splash as it is lengthy and not sensational. Printed matter will never outdo the visual of a horse breaking down in the Melbourne Cup.

Good to see, from a harness perspective, the low death rate of horses compared to the gallops. Maybe consistent tracks helps us there.

As for the whip, interesting to see the study said they didn't make a difference.

I still cling to my believe that harness is a distant third behind the greyhounds and gallops as a target for the welfare groups.

However, harness has it's own issues so people in glasshouses...

Harness should lead the way and ban whips.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

That would be bold but would need consent of the galloping code as it would leave them open to even more attack.

Aren't the 3 codes meant to be working together? ?

?  That's certainly the public spin, but the reality is that each would sell the others down the river by lunchtime if they thought it would improve their own competitive position. Which is as it should be. The cozy oligopoly that existed for so long was one of the chief contributors to racing's current malaise.

So rather than harness worrying about unilateral whip-banning leaving the thoroughbreds exposed, I suspect they'd see that as an added bonus. It's more likely to be internal resistance that's stopping them doing it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

That would be bold but would need consent of the galloping code as it would leave them open to even more attack.

Aren't the 3 codes meant to be working together? ?

the 3 code should be working together and racing should not be under attack jca and Riu should be under attack way things have been handled in Inca and other matters 

• Like 1