Bit Of A Yarn

NZTR & Stable Returns

MaltedMilkshake

Just an observation  ..... has anyone ever looked at the trainers information on the NZTR site?  How can NZTR plan accordingly if trainers don’t provide accurate updates concerning horse numbers in their stables?  Does anyone (RIU) check the stable returns?  Does NZTR racing ever check the accuracy and/or currency of stable returns?  As they don’t, how can they plan? 

16 minutes ago, MaltedMilkshake said:

I think I’ll just ask them on Twitter. That’ll embarrass them...When I also include RNSW & RV on the question...????

Can't embarrass them , if their not embarrassed by the state they've got racing in , nothing will . Got more neck than a giraffe .

• Like 2

Answer to your question MM is yes.

For a long time I have noted the lack of accuracy in that database and the delay in registering changes which I know to have taken place ...

I am not familair with the obligations of the trainers or NZTR in this regard.  And while it's not directly related I can't help but contrast this with the rather firm approach of the officials towards such things as mare returns - deadlines set and signficant payments demanded eg. to register the birth of the long awaited foal which then has to be destroyed at birth ...     

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Changes - either arriving or departing  - are supposed to be notified within seven days...and yes,  MM...sometimes I've had to give myself a shakeup because the seven days has been and gone.

However,  things such as changes of addresses of licence holders,  new phone numbers, changes of employers in the case of apprentices,  can be months out of date to the annoyance and inconvenience of anyone trying to make contact.

It is a trainers responsibility to process a stable return when horses arrive or leave. This process isn't policed to the requirements of a stable return, hence why you can't rely on any data from any department in NZ Racing. Stable return requires at least 3 days prior to nominations, but a lot of trainers get this process done when nominating for a trial or race. To make the trainers follow the process policy rules is not accepting a nomination from late stable returns. Then the trainers number of horses in their stables will start becoming accurate. You would be amazed at how many trainers would still have retired or deceased horses in their trading lists.

Edited by Straightup
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Straightup said:

It is a trainers responsibility to process a stable return when horses arrive or leave. This process isn't policed to the requirements of a stable return, hence why you can't rely on any data from any department in NZ Racing. Stable return requires at least 3 days prior to nominations, but a lot of trainers get this process done when nominating for a trial or race. To make the trainers follow the process policy rules is not accepting a nomination from late stable returns. Then the trainers number of horses in their stables will start becoming accurate. You would be amazed at how many trainers would still have retired or deceased horses in their trading lists.

If that's the case then how can NZTR plan race programmes that optimise the availability of each grade of horse?

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

If that's the case then how can NZTR plan race programmes that optimise the availability of each grade of horse?

As Freda said. It's one area that has easy solutions to improve race scheduling. Allowing less races to cater for the needs of the population of horses across the year.

5 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Don't know if it would make much difference whether they had the info or not looking at how random the programs can be , i've seen the same grade race programmed 2 days in a row then nothing for a month or more or other grades having so many oppertunities over a period that they can't fill the fields . These programs are set by local committee's but seems like the people on the committee have just arrived from outa town . 

8 minutes ago, nomates said:

Don't know if it would make much difference whether they had the info or not looking at how random the programs can be , i've seen the same grade race programmed 2 days in a row then nothing for a month or more or other grades having so many oppertunities over a period that they can't fill the fields . These programs are set by local committee's but seems like the people on the committee have just arrived from outa town . 

No my understanding is that all programming is done centrally by NZTR.  Is that not correct?

7 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

No my understanding is that all programming is done centrally by NZTR.  Is that not correct?

May be incorrect but if done centrally might be with local input . I do recall certain trainers saying they were on programming committees , perhaps they went to HQ for these meetings and the scones and tea .

Whatever the case the programming can be a bit hit and miss , in the CD at least . Speaking of poor programming the Waikato Gns just run Sat and now the Avondale Gns running this Sat , who came up with that schedule leading into the Derby 2 weeks later . This sums it up for me , why couldn't Te Rapa run 2 Sat's ago and New Plymouth Sat just gone , no expert buts seems a more logical progression to me plus both races stronger for it . Is there a reason i don't know , perhaps someone could enlighten me .

3 hours ago, nomates said:

Whatever the case the programming can be a bit hit and miss , in the CD at least . Speaking of poor programming the Waikato Gns just run Sat and now the Avondale Gns running this Sat , who came up with that schedule leading into the Derby 2 weeks later . This sums it up for me , why couldn't Te Rapa run 2 Sat's ago and New Plymouth Sat just gone , no expert buts seems a more logical progression to me plus both races stronger for it . Is there a reason i don't know , perhaps someone could enlighten me .

Because we have SO MANY 3yr olds preparing for the Derby.....do we?