Bit Of A Yarn

Oamaru Race 1 Attempted Abandonment

Happy Sunrise

I thought the race was going to be called off after a few hundred metres when I saw the clerk of the course wave them off. To my surprise they kept going. Then I read this below. They blame the clerk of the course and the club? Remembering the incident at Cromwell at New Year when they literally had a kid as clerk of the course I find it incredible that such responsibility would have been placed in the hands of a youngster if required. 

I still can't work out why the drivers didn't stop.

Such is the amateur state of the game at times.

Stewards ordered this race to be stopped after the field had raced 200 metres due to DREAM OF PAT running driverless on the track. Due to a communication error between the Clerk of the Course and the Drivers, this order was not relayed in an effective manner with the field continuing to race. The all clear was delayed until such time as the Stewards were able to view all available replays, firstly of the start, to ensure no runner had been denied a fair start and secondly, to speak to all drivers and ascertain that no horse had been disadvantaged due to the communication error. After speaking with all drivers Stewards were satisfied that no horse had been denied a fair start and that no horse's chances had been materially prejudiced due to the continuation of the race with the all clear duly authorised. Stewards spoke with the Club's President Mr D Heffernan and the Clerk of the Course Mr W Phiskie in relation to the procedure he is expected to follow when instructed to stop a race in future.

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I thought the race was going to be called off after a few hundred metres when I saw the clerk of the course wave them off. To my surprise they kept going. Then I read this below. They blame the clerk of the course and the club? Remembering the incident at Cromwell at New Year when they literally had a kid as clerk of the course I find it incredible that such responsibility would have been placed in the hands of a youngster if required. 

I still can't work out why the drivers didn't stop.

Such is the amateur state of the game at times.

Stewards ordered this race to be stopped after the field had raced 200 metres due to DREAM OF PAT running driverless on the track. Due to a communication error between the Clerk of the Course and the Drivers, this order was not relayed in an effective manner with the field continuing to race. The all clear was delayed until such time as the Stewards were able to view all available replays, firstly of the start, to ensure no runner had been denied a fair start and secondly, to speak to all drivers and ascertain that no horse had been disadvantaged due to the communication error. After speaking with all drivers Stewards were satisfied that no horse had been denied a fair start and that no horse's chances had been materially prejudiced due to the continuation of the race with the all clear duly authorised. Stewards spoke with the Club's President Mr D Heffernan and the Clerk of the Course Mr W Phiskie in relation to the procedure he is expected to follow when instructed to stop a race in future.

Very amateur happy, just watched the replay, bet your glad it wasn't!

• Haha 1