Bit Of A Yarn

Idol Tom

BitofaLegend

Absolutely disgusted with the connections of this dog. Only fractured a hock and you could not save him even after making and placing in several group one finals? What's worse is that they expect people to feel sorry for them? What a disgrace. This is why so many people have a bad view of this industry. If you can't even save and re home the good ones, what hope is there for the rest?

Edited by BitofaLegend
  • Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

3 hours ago, BitofaLegend said:

Absolutely disgusted with the connections of this dog. Only fractured a hock and you could not save him even after making and placing in several group one finals? What's worse is that they expect people to feel sorry for them? What a disgrace. This is why so many people have a bad view of this industry. If you can't even save and re home the good ones, what hope is there for the rest?

couldn't agree with you more. although there is the odd occasion when it is too badly broken into many pieces and it can't be saved. but most end up in the plastic bag and chucked in a hole when they could easilly be rehabilitated. I have 3 at home that have hocks pinned. sound and happy as. they weren't champions in the sense of the word but they are champions to me.On the rare occasions I hear of a battler dog being saved the connections go in my book as decent people. it is unfortunately a vety small book.

• Like 4

Guest CrossCodes

Anyone who worked for Roberts for that many years had to have a broken moral compass with all the shit they got away with, clearly she has learnt something from him, poor dog deserved better than just to be thrown aside when he could have been saved and rehomed.

27 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

Well in terms of trainers we want and trainers the code to do without there's not much debating about Ms Flipp
http://jca.org.nz/non-race-day-hearings/non-raceday-inquiry-riu-v-mj-flipp-reserved-penalty-decision-and-reasons-dated-2-september-2014/

She does look like a hard piece but at the time the rumour was it was blown out of proportion. can't say cos I wasn't there.but I do  remember when I first got into dogs seeing one well known figure around Addington kick shit out of his dog to get it into the boxes. it horrified me but didn't horrify anyone else around. Probably should have called it quits then if that was acceptable behaviour.

I agree with everyone's sentiments in regard to giving every dog a shot at retired life regardless of status achieved. That is the ideology that I apply to all my dogs. However, I am going to play devil's advocate in this case as I have personal knowledge of the dog and his behaviour. To say that Tom was at the difficult end of the behavioural spectrum would be a gross understatement. I would go as far as saying Tom fell into the category of unsafe and untrainable, that small percentage that we all know exist.  So, if you were faced with the same set of circumstances, what choice would you make? Would you choose to have him wither away in a kennel? End his days confined and confused, never understanding why his reason for being has been taken away? Cruelty comes in many forms, and sometimes the right thing to do isn't the most popular. Not having a go at anyone here, all are entitled to an opinion. Just something to think about.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BitofaLegend said:

I understand your sentiment, but because a dog performed well on the track, that doesn't give them any more entitlement to special treatment after injury/retirement than any other dog, in my opinion.

Also, I haven't looked the dog up as to who the current owner is, but isn't the ultimate call of a dogs outcome up to that person/persons?

I do know that a lot of dogs are still fully "owned" by the original person, with only the trainers name added to get around the public/private trainers license issues.

I'm not here defending this trainer in any way, but I am pointing out that the ridicule a trainer can get sometimes isn't always the best place to target the energy. Sometimes they are simply innocent bystanders.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Yankiwi said:

I understand your sentiment, but because a dog performed well on the track, that doesn't give them any more entitlement to special treatment after injury/retirement than any other dog, in my opinion.

Also, I haven't looked the dog up as to who the current owner is, but isn't the ultimate call of a dogs outcome up to that person/persons?

I do know that a lot of dogs are still fully "owned" by the original person, with only the trainers name added to get around the public/private trainers license issues.

I'm not here defending this trainer in any way, but I am pointing out that the ridicule a trainer can get sometimes isn't always the best place to target the energy. Sometimes they are simply innocent bystanders.

The dog was owned by a syndicate, not Marcie Flipp. I caught him once, never happened again. I have caught many, many dogs for as many trainers, the only one ever who tried to rip my face off was Tom.

1 hour ago, Cockyaleg said:

I agree with everyone's sentiments in regard to giving every dog a shot at retired life regardless of status achieved. That is the ideology that I apply to all my dogs. However, I am going to play devil's advocate in this case as I have personal knowledge of the dog and his behaviour. To say that Tom was at the difficult end of the behavioural spectrum would be a gross understatement. I would go as far as saying Tom fell into the category of unsafe and untrainable, that small percentage that we all know exist.  So, if you were faced with the same set of circumstances, what choice would you make? Would you choose to have him wither away in a kennel? End his days confined and confused, never understanding why his reason for being has been taken away? Cruelty comes in many forms, and sometimes the right thing to do isn't the most popular. Not having a go at anyone here, all are entitled to an opinion. Just something to think about.

Very well said.

I think your all a bunch of muppets.

How can you come on here and say the shit you do about others that are doing all the hard yards for the sport.

Dogs break down, dogs break bones.

Just like horses, cats, cows and people.

Some are worth saving and some are not.

The trainers are the ones along with the owners who have to make the hard decisions at times like this and for the most,

The trainers are the ones that know their dogs and their dogs traits, 

How is it that the keyboard warriors that hide behind an alias so they can attack the peers and fallow trainers, know other peoples dogs better than themselves.

Who is to say this dog was a dog that would have failed the GAP test and been know good as a pet,

Thousands of dollars later and all for nothing but keeping all the muppets happy .

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

I've seen some nutters get rehomed. I've seen some mild dogs get put down. every dog should be given a chance. No ifs or buts about it. You find many dogs change after retiring. No matter how bad they are.

I for one do not think you should be putting down a dog for a fractured hock. One of the easiest injuries to bring a dog back from.

If an owner or trainer can't afford to save a dog, than they shouldn't be allowed to race. This is another welfare issue in my honest opinion and does not hold well for us. I had a few people during the cup heats actually ask me about the dog and we're horrified to hear it was put down

Edited by BitofaLegend
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BitofaLegend said:

I've seen some nutters get rehomed. I've seen some mild dogs get put down. every dog should be given a chance. No ifs or buts about it. You find many dogs change after retiring. No matter how bad they are.

I for one do not think you should be putting down a dog for a fractured hock. One of the easiest injuries to bring a dog back from.

If an owner or trainer can't afford to save a dog, than they shouldn't be allowed to race. This is another welfare issue in my honest opinion and does not hold well for us. I had a few people during the cup heats actually ask me about the dog and we're horrified to hear it was put down

Are you for real .” One of the easier injuries to bring a dog back from” what a complete plonker you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. 

• Like 1

Guest CrossCodes
15 minutes ago, Honestly said:

Are you for real .” One of the easier injuries to bring a dog back from” what a complete plonker you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. 

Get off your high horse ‘Honestly’, coming from the Homebush Kennel any ideas or thoughts you have on the rehabilitation and rehoming of greyhounds is laughable! Your kennel had murdered thousands of greyhounds over the years and don’t even attempt to regime them, makes me vomit every time I see the McInerney name.l, and why the NZGRA support this is just as bad.

That would be your reflection can’t do much about that can we.the only thing that is laughable was the stupid comment. See big nose was the first to like your post , more pillow talk. I’m very “interested “ as your comments have no facts behind them .once again another blow hard comment 

1 hour ago, Honestly said:

As far as injuries are concerned, a fractured hock takes time but I do not recall any of my dogs actually having any reoccurring issues after the 3 month recovery period. Prefer a hock to a tendant, muscle, or other more serious bone injury

Edited by BitofaLegend

6 minutes ago, BitofaLegend said:

As far as injuries are concerned, a fractured hock takes time but I do not recall any of my dogs actually having any reoccurring issues after the 3 month recovery period. Prefer a hock to a tendant, muscle, or other more serious bone injury

Although I believe any injury can be healed or maintained if treated correctly.

17 minutes ago, BitofaLegend said:

I do agree there are far more serious injuries they a greyhound can pick up , and it does depends how badly the hock is damaged. Arthritis is a huge concern and needs to be taken into account when dealing with such injury. Yes pills etc can help but overall won’t help the pain long term. Muscle injuries although time consuming are the easiest to deal with and have a greater recovery rate .

2 minutes ago, Goldstar said:

What a disgrace you people are,  Bagging out Marcie for what has happened,  for anyone who knows Marcie they will know she would do anything to save a dog.  The injury wad way more than a fractured hock , but you dickheads just keep jumping to conclusions 

If the injury was more than a fractured hock, why was it not in the stipes report?