Bit Of A Yarn

Blinkers OFF - Happy Clapper!!! Come in Thomaas!

Surprise Happy Clapper gear switch to try to spoil Winx party

Surprise Happy Clapper gear switch to try to spoil Winx party
Happy Clapper (left) is used to running second to Winx (right) Photo: The Daily Telegraph
Ben Dorries
Article Author
Ben Dorries
33 Comments

Pat Webster has pulled a rabbit out of a hat and has switched Happy Clapper’s gear in a bold bid to spoil the Winx party next Saturday.

Happy Clapper has finished behind Winx in their 10 previous clashes, including five as runner-up, but Webster is leaving no stone unturned as he looks to shock the racing world by upstaging the mighty mare in next Saturday’s $4million Queen Elizabeth Stakes (2000m) at Randwick.

Octagonal and his son Lonhro were both beaten at short odds in their farewell runs in the Queen Elizabeth so Webster figures anything is possible, albeit very unlikely.

Happy Clapper has raced in blinkers for more than two years – since finishing second in the National Sprint in Canberra in March 2017 – but will race without them in the Queen Elizabeth next Saturday.

Trainer Webster knows it is a bold and somewhat unusual tactic going into a $4million race and especially with the eyes of the world watching Winx's last run.

But he figures it might be just what will bring the best out in his evergreen eight-year-old gelding. While blinkers go off, winkers go on.

“With the race worth so much, it’s not something you would normally do,” Webster said.

“He has won millions of dollars with the blinkers on.

“But he doesn’t carry blinkers in his trials and he always trials good – Blake Shinn came back in the other day after his trial and said he was very calm and relaxed and said racing without blinkers might now be his go.

“I had a think about it and I rang the owner and asked him – he told me I always did what I wanted anyway, and he was right, I did it.

“Happy will run without blinkers and hopefully now he has learned not to hit that flat spot in his races.”

Happy Clapper finished second behind Winx in the Apollo Stakes and Chipping Norton Stakes before venturing to Melbourne where the popular galloper ran eighth in the All-Star Mile.

Webster vowed after that run he would never race Happy Clapper in Melbourne again as he wasn’t at his best there.

Tab.com.au has Winx at $1.06 to go out on a winning note in the Queen Elizabeth Stakes.

The Sir Mark Todd-trained He’s Eminent, which finished second on his Australian debut behind Avilius in the Ranvet Stakes, is the clear second favourite at $15.

Happy Clapper is on the third line of betting at $21.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Interesting.. they must think the old boy will have some fight in him when challenged, pretty hard to chase her once she's swept past so I can see their logic.   Not sure it will be enough but worth a try :)

good money for 2nd v 3rd