Bit Of A Yarn

Race 3 Addington today

Vanturk

41 minutes ago, Vanturk said:

Winner paid $72. I'e never seen a dog pay that amount before. Anyone got a  closer divvie on the dogs

You get lopsided divies such as this when you have a small win pool and some idiot at the death lumped about a $2000 win bet on the 10 dog. This inflated all other runners, and the winner was the rank outsider.

13 minutes ago, Lad27 said:

Had field in that leg of the quad. Then i looked at pool and shead a tear.

Missed it anyway but excitment levels were up at one stage.

Yeah the early quaddie seems to always be crap pools. Even oaks night first quaddie was only  $889.

• Like 1

I had noted that the Eyrewell greyhounds had been going quite well lately - there is some good breeding there -  and when I looked at that field I checked on the dog's record. It was abysmal but two factors stood out (1) the greyhound had had a freshener and they had increased its weight coming in at plus 1.9 (2) the races it had been in, for the most part, had been won by some very promising dogs e.g. Perfect Result and Oh So Nitro which broke 30 seconds that day. There did not appear to be anything of that calibre in this field so I decided to back the dog, but probably just for a place, showing  $8 from memory.  I am pretty sure it was around the $40 mark to win. I might have made it each way but ...

Just as I was about to take my bet the number 10 greyhound caught my eye. Backed as if unbeatable. 

Foolishly I changed my bet to a quinella - the 5 and the 10.

So I  can say I had a bet on a greyhound which paid one of the biggest-ever win divs. But I never made a bean.

Rule 101 of punting says: If you like a greyhound, back it,. Then, and only then, have a look at the alternatives, the quinellas, doubles etc etc, the so-called exotics.

What you are now doing, as happened to me, is you are relying on another dog or dogs to perform as well as your initial selection.

As it happened the 5 flew the lids, went clear and never looked back. The 10 got into all sorts of trouble, was almost stopped to a walk, then rattled home late for 4th.

PS I did come out in front later in the day but my account could have looked so much better. Incidentally, the quinella would have paid $48.

I feel your pain.  Every punter has their own story.  The other day I had set up an EW bet on a dog I liked paying $11, got distracted, and closed the window because I knew I had already taken the bet.  Except I hadn't ... you know the rest.

Makes you wonder whether there's a website concept in "Infinite Ways To Lose on the Punt" ?

I hope you are enjoying watching the racing more these days too.

Thanks.

Funny, that word "more" got me thinking.

I loved the job in the judge's box working with some really talented and interesting people.

When one leaves any occupation I believe what one misses most is the people one worked with. Very true. Along with watching some very fast greyhounds.

Anyway, back to "more".

The one really big difference these days, of course, is I can bet on the dogs.

That "more" probably depends on whether I am having a good day betting. 

All punters talk/watch through their pockets/wallets. That is why I now prefer not to bet on the very big races. That way, I can enjoy the spectacle be it dog or horse of trying to achieve at the highest level. Watch the whole race, and not just looking at the ones I have backed.

The enjoyment is greater as the potential disappointment no longer exists.

PS I heard the Trackside presenter this evening commenting on numbers  of wins by certain harness drivers e.g Dexter two years ago to the night - 7  and AG Herlihy - 7 and Doug Watts 40 or 50 years ago or maybe more.

I said to my wife who is lightning on numbers, How long ago is 1954? She answered, 64 years. I said , Well, that is how long ago it was that Doug Watts drove the first 7 winners on an eight-race card at Reefton. 

I know, because I was there.

• Like 2