Bit Of A Yarn

33 STRIKES with the WHIP is OK in NZ...OK!!

Thomass

Yes it happened recently at Awapuni...and it was WITHIN THE RULES...OK.?

Parkes of course...and won by a nose

...he who whipped one of Wheelers 45 times at the last NZ Cup meeting...outside of the Rules...Just...won by a nostril as well...but NO protest allowed!

NZ is terribly out of touch with the rest of the World on this...and all NZTR have to say is

"we're keeping our EYE on it...possibly an announcement coming??"

Yea...meanwhile our Highweight/Amatuer riders continue to smash their way to victory...

Luke Myers at it again last week...a 2 day holiday...hopeless got as hopeless did

And of course at the recent Royal AssKit meeting...all the talk was around the Woman Jockey Hayley Turner breaking the whip rule by 4 strikes...11all up....

...where the Trainer of the said horse....Charlie Fellows said..

" she should have been DQ'd...the future of our sport depends on new blood...and the new blood don't like what they see"

Yea...what he said

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's just becoming ridiculous.  No better in a junior drivers' race in the other code I saw on TV last night.  And yes - the horse who was thrashed won by a head. The commentators seem to studiously ignore these thrashings (on instructions not to draw attention to it??).  I don't want to repeat myself as I have commented on this crap before & the need to forgo races for these transgressions.  But hear this:  all you highly paid administrators (and yes - I call you administrators because you do not display the qualities of leaders) - you are doing all of us in the industry a disservice by your inaction - your weakness, ineptitude & your lack of foresight & simple decency.

And despite this you will all still whine & gnash your teeth when the "greenies" (the sort of term your lot would use) try to shut it all down.  Wake up and maybe go spend some time with a horse today - up close & personal (not in the corporate box or via the big screen).  Look in that eye -feel her breath on your cheek.  Then visualise that animal being thrashed 30+ times as hard as you can, when she's already trying her heart out.  

And hear this too:  the people who object are not just your despised "greenies" - they are right-thinking, practical, intelligent, invested horse-people like Freda.  Start listening.  And bloody well do something. 

Edited by jess
typo
  • Like 4
  • Champ Post 4

Well said Jess. Unfortunately I think your comments, while relevant, will fall on deaf ears. The people who should be taking notice of statements like yours-the raceday 'stewards'-are to my mind incompetent. Not only incompetent but protective of their own little power play, and they won't step outside the square to stop what a lot of 'us' class as animal abuse. There is a crunch coming and these 'stewards' will wander around like stunned mullets when the shit finally hits the fan. Lets face it, they call themselves race readers-most of them couldn't read Winnie the Pooh without help.

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 2

I 100% agree with everything you said Jess.

The rules of racing (in both codes) need to change, where relegation can occur due to excessive, improper or inappropriate use of the whip. Until this happens, jockeys and drivers will forever be up on whip charges. Nothing surer. 

Currently stewards cannot relegate a winner or placed runner, based on whip use.

The rules must surely change, however I am more hopeful than confident. 

• Like 2

It's a grey area as they say...a relegation occurred in Australia a couple of years ago but there's no way it'd be happening here..

...but there's no rule against asking for a ruling here as far as I know at present...

France now have the 5 whip limit...Britain 7...

One could argue for a 1/2 strike over that before being DQ'd...and for sure it'd stop...

Parkes striking Wheelers horse 45 times when winning by a nose while the runner up remains unable to protest is simply ridiculous though..

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

So BB HONG gets 10 days for a whipping frenzy last Saturday...

...Stipe Oathey counted 30 Strikes and then threw his hands in the air...

If only BB had have been able to count like Parkes can...where he knows how to manipulate the 'system' of 5 on 5 off...

...so he can frenzy whip 33 times..and get off scot free..

Brilliant rule RIU...

#nofinidea

A bit of both by the looks Freda...

"Mr Oatham had Stipendiary Steward, Mr J M McLaughlin, show video replays of the last 600 metres of the race. He pointed out ROCK ISLAND LINE, ridden by Mr Hong, racing in last position in the 13-horse field, being drawn wide by Mr Hong as the field entered the final straight.

He then showed Mr Hong commence using his whip shortly thereafter. Mr McLaughlin said that the Committee needed to look at Mr Hong’s use of the whip “in totality” for the length of the straight. Mr Hong had passed one other runner approaching the 200 metres.

He continued to use his whip until inside the 100 metres. There was an early five-stride respite, Mr McLaughlin said, but the horse was not making ground. Inside the 200 metres, Mr Hong continued using his whip “well over five times”, and has passed only three other runners, he said. Stewards estimated that Mr Hong had used his whip approximately 30 times in the final straight, Mr McLaughlin said.

Mr Oatham said that Stewards were concerned with the totality of Mr Hong’s whip use – close to 30 times in the final straight, he submitted – on a horse that had only struggled to pass three horses that were being eased down. There was only one break for the full five strides in the home straight, Mr Oatham alleged, and the whip action was so “quickfire” that it was giving the horse no chance to respond to it."

So BB Gun still broke the 5 stride on/off rule

So get this...

Sammy Weatherely gets back last week and frenzy whips a Pitty horse 30 times...and breaks the rules by forgetting the 5 on 5 off rule...

Being wrist slappers and huggers...Stipe Oathey gives him a warning...wtf??

So did Sammy learn anything about the warning and OUR rule..not Aus's?

Na...Wednesday he breaks the rule again by striking 20 times...again without the required 5 strides break before the 100...

...will be charged today and wrist slapped fined...even though he won

Any Inquiry allowed by the runner up?

Na

#integritynzstyle

So Sammy got fined 4 hundy....for 20 strikes...but none for 30...

..just like Parkes for 33...who didn't even get a warning

This is how confused NZTR/RIU are with their pathetic response to the whip debate...

...and Godber had the cheek to spruik our rule over Australia's one...

Yea 33 strikes and no warning...20 and you get a 4 Hundy fine...

Thatll work