Bit Of A Yarn

Mark Purdon buys Weanling.

Double R

Reading on the Allstars website., Mark is going to have a go at training a thoroughbred.

Lot 249, by Tavistock from the latest Karaka sale.

I have decided its "now or never' training a galloper and I bought one at the May sale at Karaka. He will do a month back at Brighthill Farm who offered him at the sale and then he will come south. Barry enjoyed training the thoroughbreds and I have wanted to have a go. If I don't do it now I probably won't and the timing seems right. 

Actually this colt wasn't my first choice but there is a story behind that. Roy and I were going to the sale but the car broke down in traffic and we ended up having to get it towed home so we didn't make it. My first choice from the catalogue was earlier on and went for a bit more than I wanted to pay. This one was passed in. I had liked the look of him and for $8000 he seemed a reasonable buy to me. Time will tell !

Earlier Nat and I had an I Am Invincible youngster we bought at the sales in Australia but we didn't really have the time to do it and after it was broken in down here and proved a bit of a handful it ended up at Graeme's (Rogerson). I think it is best known for the day it got to the barrier and bolted over the fence before the race ! I hope this one will be different. I am looking forward to the challenge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Double R said:

I hope this one will be different. I am looking forward to the challenge.

Training all those Group 1 winners must get a bit the same. I can't see how it could not. They have trained and driven the best of the best so that mountain has been climbed so I can understand the temptation of trying their hand at a galloper. Be a nice change for them to apply their vast knowledge to something different but still similar.

A great idea for them to have a crack.

...Odds on the All-Stars training a Cox Plate winner? 

Bit of a Yarn odds - 60 to 1

'Other Site'  odds -  2 to 1

Sorry, couldn't resist. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Training all those Group 1 winners must get a bit the same. I can't see how it could not. They have trained and driven the best of the best so that mountain has been climbed so I can understand the temptation of trying their hand at a galloper. Be a nice change for them to apply their vast knowledge to something different but still similar.

A great idea for them to have a crack.

...Odds on the All-Stars training a Cox Plate winner? 

Bit of a Yarn odds - 60 to 1

'Other Site'  odds -  2 to 1

Sorry, couldn't resist. 

Hi Happy,

I am sure David Walsh works at the Allstars, so no lack of knowledge between David and Mark.

Cheers.

Robert.

9 minutes ago, Double R said:

I am sure David Walsh works at the Allstars, so no lack of knowledge between David and Mark.

I am sure the knowledge base at the stable is enormous. I will be surprised if they are not successful at their new 'hobby'

Be very interesting to see where it leads.

What is your take on it, DR? Just a new challenge or a new direction?

9 minutes ago, hunterthepunter said:

double r david left allstars about 12 months ago took up a job training apprentice jockeys as far as I no

You maybe right, but thought he might still have been doing some part time work at the Allstars.

44 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I am sure the knowledge base at the stable is enormous. I will be surprised if they are not successful at their new 'hobby'

Be very interesting to see where it leads.

What is your take on it, DR? Just a new challenge or a new direction?

I think with the stable reducing their numbers, it might be time to try something a bit of different.