Bit Of A Yarn

A bit of nostalgia... Wellington Cups

All household names at the time from a golden era of stayers.
e.g. Gear Sensation, Stipulate, Floutulla, Eiffel Tower, Red Crest, Palisade, Terrific, Bright Chief, Michael Molloy, Loofah, Tatua, Il Tempo, City Court, Johnny Cash, Proud Chief, Whakamoa, Simon De Montfort, Princess Mellay, Artifice, Trelay, Ansin, Anne Gable, Silver Knight, Duty Free, Suttle, Sailing Home, Apollo Eleven, Rustler, Topsy, Glengowan, Peg's Pride, Battle Heights, Rose Mellay.

Peter Kelly's audio which everyone relied upon as live direct TV was still in its infancy.

https://youtu.be/xA6nfXJkAsc

NB. Peter Jenkins  Fort Hagen failed to stay. Try the Auckland Cups.

Mystery.... Simon de Montfort ran great 4th then the following year paid almost $200 for win.

• Like 1

Sad to see those great names confined to yesteryear..but how lucky were we to have been around to witness them.  Not just confined to Wellington Cups either.

I remember Trelay cantering home at Oamaru carrying 10 st. 11 - or 11 st,  can't remember exactly...and that would have been off an 8st minimum probably.

10 hours ago, Freda said:

Sad to see those great names confined to yesteryear..but how lucky were we to have been around to witness them.  Not just confined to Wellington Cups either.

I remember Trelay cantering home at Oamaru carrying 10 st. 11 - or 11 st,  can't remember exactly...and that would have been off an 8st minimum probably.

Yes so many names even overlooked a couple of Melbourne Cup stars unplaced in the Wellington race i.e. Polo Prince and Fans.

11 hours ago, Freda said:

Wasn't racing great when we had proper handicaps?