Bit Of A Yarn

Where the bloody hell were they??

Brodie

Watched a few of the races at Alex Park Friday night, being the first night of the interdominions.

There didn’t seem to be very many there at all and certainly didn’t appear to be anymore than a normal Friday night meeting there.

I do not believe that there is the interest in the Inters up there this year and the fact that there is only two pacing heats is pretty average.

I looked at the tote win and place pools at one stage a few minutes out from the start of the first pacing heat and there was only about $6k in both pools.

This showcase of harness racing being the Interdominion  is going to run at a serious financial loss for the Auckland Club unless things pick up majorly.

The days of getting good crowds to Alexandra Park appear to be well over and Cant see how it is going to improve knowing that they are in such a dire financial situation!

The Public Relations man will say what a great success story it is but that is what they are paid the big bucks to say while they have a job.

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Flagship uberalles said:

went Friday and the tab area and pokies were busy !!!! + function rooms top of the park etc, but outside is a far cry from a normal Saturday night when I was a kid..  +

Gee flagship, The outside rail was packed with people all the way up the straight, when I won there 83' Interdominion.

(GAMMALITE that is).

Watching on Fri at the 2200m starting point was a heap of weeds growing up through the fencing, a carpark at the 100m mark and 3 people as you got towards the post. Was nice weather wasn't it ???

What a sad state of affairs.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Gee flagship, The outside rail was packed with people all the way up the straight, when I won there 83' Interdominion.

(GAMMALITE that is).

Watching on Fri at the 2200m starting point was a heap of weeds growing up through the fencing, a carpark at the 100m mark and 3 people as you got towards the post. Was nice weather wasn't it ???

What a sad state of affairs.

Quite right gammalite no one interested in live racing, there is a big tab area inside now with big screens loads of rows of seats etc and unbelievably people actually got to the track and just sit in there and watch the races on the telly! and another 20 or 30 just in the pokies area wouldn't know what day it is.......what's the fucking point!!! We had a table in one of the function rooms, but we went out to watch the races, those 2200m races are great to watch the start of, right in front of of the public......and the grass coming up through the concrete!

• Like 1