NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Winston Gave the Industry Nothing

Rt Hon Winston Peters

Deputy Prime Minister

Minister for Racing

17 May 2018

Bloodstock tax rules to change

Minister for Racing Winston Peters today announced changes to bloodstock tax rules for the New Zealand racing industry as part of Budget 2018.

“Racing is a significant industry in New Zealand and this measure will provide economic stimulus to many parts of the country. The change will encourage new investment in the breeding industry to make it more financially attractive and increase the quality of this country’s racing stock,” says Winston Peters.

“The Budget allows $4.8 million over the next four years for tax deductions that can be claimed for the costs of high-quality horses acquired with the intention to breed.

“The previous rules around tax write-downs did not serve their original purpose of promoting new investment, as they favoured established breeding businesses rather than attracting new entrants.

“These changes mean that a new investor in the breeding industry will be able to claim tax deductions for the costs of a horse as if they had an existing breeding business. To qualify, the horse must be a standout yearling.

“Quality breeding is the life blood of the thoroughbred racing code. It also helps sustain an iconic New Zealand industry and ensures New Zealand horses can compete with the best in the world.

“I expect the new rules will apply to yearlings acquired from next year’s premier bloodstock sales,” says Winston Peters.

What a joke.....the following quote from David Farrar at Kiwiblog

The most ridiculous policy is Winston forcing the Government to make horse purchases tax deductible if the horse is good looking.

No I’m not making it up. That really is the policy. A horse can be deemed tax deductible “by virtue of its bloodlines, looks and racing potential”. IRD is going to need a new division that can assess how good looking a horse is, and hence whether it can be tax deductible.

• Haha 1

To me that seems much easier to understand than most of this government's policies. It's pretty clear that the IRD experts will easily be able to determine the racing potential of a horse. I'll then hire them to pick a couple out for me.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Turny said:

Surely it is a joke

Unfortunately, unlike this coalition government, it's no joke, but by cutting beef numbers by 30% we will be able to increase the productivity of the dairy industry ! 

Tui have a new billboard, "I find it easy to get my fillies into the NZB premier sale"

4 hours ago, Nice Option said:

What a joke.....the following quote from David Farrar at Kiwiblog

The most ridiculous policy is Winston forcing the Government to make horse purchases tax deductible if the horse is good looking.

No I’m not making it up. That really is the policy. A horse can be deemed tax deductible “by virtue of its bloodlines, looks and racing potential”. IRD is going to need a new division that can assess how good looking a horse is, and hence whether it can be tax deductible.

Maybe that’s why Paula Bennett had her puku stapled, and a heap of Botox epoxy, she needs a pay rise??

I notice no one in this thread has indicated any policy or detail that they were expecting in this budget, just that 'something' should have been given to racing?

The 10 points i can find here: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11922050

1. Return a greater proportion of industry taxation to the racing codes.

2. Introduce a new (below Premier Meeting) category of meeting where every race will be for $15,000 minimum, with relativity across the codes.

3. Enhance employment and export opportunities by working with the industry to improve the international status of New Zealand Group One races to attract greater international interest.

4. Restore marque racing plans and prize money initiatives in line with New Zealand First policy implementation 2005-08.

5. Introduce means policies assisting importation of quality mares and properly using the sire cost writedown.

6. Urgently review the operations and costs of the New Zealand Racing Board. (Messara)

7. Continue to support projects and initiatives, e.g. the Racing Safety Development Fund (a contestable fund of $1.5 million per annum, matching dollar for dollar contributions from racing clubs) that enhances safety and improves the quality of facilities, in the racing industry, including the safety of riders, handlers, spectators, officials and others involved in racing codes, as well as the health and safety of animals.

8. Direct IRD and Treasury to respect the spirit of the laws passed to assist racing so we do not have specious departmental interpretations of laws that are clear to the industry. (budget)

9. Further improve the appeal of the racing industry to a wider audience by encouraging the promotion of "family-friendly" activities in conjunction with race meetings in all codes.

10 .Defend the historic, modest share of the racing industry, to lawful gambling proceeds, against unreasonable attacks.

Edited by Horseboy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, IWMCN said:

Reserve your criticisms until the review from Mr Messiah is released. Dont pre empt outcomes.

Potential savings resulting from the review should more than exceed petty cash handouts from a budget.

Huh? What potential savings?

On 18/05/2018 at 12:00 PM, Horseboy said:

I notice no one in this thread has indicated any policy or detail that they were expecting in this budget, just that 'something' should have been given to racing?

The 10 points i can find here: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11922050

2. Introduce a new (below Premier Meeting) category of meeting where every race will be for $15,000 minimum, with relativity across the codes.

3. Enhance employment and export opportunities by working with the industry to improve the international status of New Zealand Group One races to attract greater international interest.

4. Restore marque racing plans and prize money initiatives in line with New Zealand First policy implementation 2005-08.

5. Introduce means policies assisting importation of quality mares and properly using the sire cost writedown.

6. Urgently review the operations and costs of the New Zealand Racing Board. (Messara)

7. Continue to support projects and initiatives, e.g. the Racing Safety Development Fund (a contestable fund of $1.5 million per annum, matching dollar for dollar contributions from racing clubs) that enhances safety and improves the quality of facilities, in the racing industry, including the safety of riders, handlers, spectators, officials and others involved in racing codes, as well as the health and safety of animals.

8. Direct IRD and Treasury to respect the spirit of the laws passed to assist racing so we do not have specious departmental interpretations of laws that are clear to the industry. (budget)

9. Further improve the appeal of the racing industry to a wider audience by encouraging the promotion of "family-friendly" activities in conjunction with race meetings in all codes.

10 .Defend the historic, modest share of the racing industry, to lawful gambling proceeds, against unreasonable attacks.

10 hours ago, IWMCN said:

Reserve your criticisms until the review from Mr Messiah is released. Dont pre empt outcomes.

Potential savings resulting from the review should more than exceed petty cash handouts from a budget.

9 hours ago, curious said:

Huh? What potential savings?

I voted Winston and have said that on the other channel...(expecting a barrage of abuse) ...But after watching the video below and reading Horseboys and IWMCN,s posts above....I Agree, wait until Masara has cut some paper pushers and over-paid under-performers and has racing clubs utilising their facilities earning potentials with other functions and activities, (curious post).

Hopefully we can see a return to the glory days of racing. (it,s a cop out and easy way to fob off responsibility, to say, " there is so much other entertainment competing for the entertainment dollar out there these days", and racing can be enjoyed from your armchair these days !...

I say ...Get off ya arse and do it, or move aside and on a let someone else !

On 18/05/2018 at 12:00 PM, Horseboy said:

Perhaps those items should have had the following questions asked of NZF.

1. Why? Do you not think the government should earn any revenue from the industry it largely funds?

2. Are you going to shift money from higher end races to do this. That is where it should come from.

3. I don't understand how the first part would lead to the second part. Can you expand?

4. Can you expand on the plans. If they involve increasing stake levels, where is the money going to come from?

10. Can you expand on this . What is the modest share given the NZ racing industry doesn't earn any net revenue yet seems to be given $150 million per annum. What unreasonable attacks are you suggesting exist?

Edited by mardigras
  • Like 1

what " covered track "  ?   And this part is funny  !!!!!!!------ " Sir Patrick and Lady Justine Hogan took out this full-page advertisement in September 2018 in The Informant, a racing industry newspaper, endorsing New Zealand First in the 2018 general election. "

Edited by Poisoned Dwarf