Bit Of A Yarn

2019 Harness Stories

Happy Sunrise

I see HRNZ had this has a Xmas story but it is quite lame if I may say. Somewhat Box Seatish in its avoidance of anything controversial so I had a think about what has happened in 2019 and wrote about some of them.

image.png.43429e81902f594f6505f44607388887.png

Mark McNamara left and I was shocked to see him calling country no names in Australia. A bit of a loss to say the least but Matt Cross has done well even though he gets the names of horses wrong occasionally ? but he is a rising talent. 

Both HRNZ and the TAB introduced new websites. Both seem to be built for mobile users so it took some getting used to and the TAB site took a lot of flak early on. HRNZ continues to be an excellent site full of information and lots of revelvant stories. 

Matty Williamson represented NZ at the World Drivers and performed creditably.

The Aussie brigade at the NZ Cup and Inter doms were rubbish. Not just outperformed but smashed by the All Stars. They would be competitive against the rest of NZ lol.

The RIU seem to be all over place. No consistency. Rulings are confusing. Starts are confusing, even the mobile ones at times. But hey, if they think they are doing a good job then it is fine ?

INCA continues at a snail's pace. Some claim it is going nowhere and it is a sham but extra charges being laid recently must put those claims to the test. 2020 will be another holding year? Goodness knows who is charge or who is doing what and who is on what side. I wonder how Simon Lawson feels after getting 18 months for betting on another horse other than his own drive. That is efficiency if I have ever seen it.

The money continues to pour into the coffers (of who I don't know) for those in charge of the whip rule. Polarising.

Dream About Me retired after 11 groups 1s. I shouldn't say this but it barely causes a ripple as the All Stars machine just keeps pouring group one winners out.

Dream About Me also joined  a list of injured horses this year in Sweet On Me, Turn It Up, U May Cullect, Spankem and even  Ultimate Sniper who missed the first part of the year due to a knee complaint. The attrition rate can be high.

Both Inter dominion winners turned around their performances from before the series to defy the odds. Ultimate Sniper couldn't perform to a level to allow himself to get into the NZ Cup and Winterfell was a headcase. Remarkable .

Speaking of headcases, Sundee's Sun in and out performances were remarkable. Another trotter not finding his groove was Monbet and surely he must be retired now.

Shartin became the fastest mare of all time and amazingly Balraj went 1.49.1 after being just another horse in NZ.

Methven got moved to Ashburton due to the track conditions and the world seemed to stop spinning for a short time. Never put farmers in charge of growing grass...?

Mitchell Kerr made his name as a trainer with some standout horses like Smokin By and Matt Damon.

Alta Maestro and Pat's Delight passed unexpectedly and the great mare Kym's Girl left us at the age of 24.

Drivers need a pat on the back as their were very crashes or injured horses during the year. They all seem pretty competent (unless you are a hobby trainer, junior or amateur as then you may get treated like Jesus Christ on Good Friday by the stipes)

The stories in the Star about fridge gas being used on horses to improve performance could become the big story of 2020 if found to be proven. INCA and this would be a horrendous PR mix so it needs to be sorted quickly.

The Maurice Holmes Vase nearly didn't happen due to a shortage of entries until it was saved with a few late ones. Next year will be very interesting with the inter dominions after the Cup. It could kill the lead up races.

But, the best story of the year was the Overzealous one. After the awful accident, it was great to the trainers and horses recovering somewhere back to their best.

Not worth mentioning are the Box Seat - just rerun last year's shows and no one would notice and the excellence of the All Stars, as 2019, 2018, 2017 etc etc just merge into each other.

I am a bit tired after trying to remember this stuff and write it so I might head to the fridge to replenish?

• Like 6
  • Champ Post 3

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I see HRNZ had this has a Xmas story but it is quite lame if I may say. Somewhat Box Seatish in its avoidance of anything controversial so I had a think about what has happened in 2019 and wrote about some of them.

image.png.43429e81902f594f6505f44607388887.png

Mark McNamara left and I was shocked to see him calling country no names in Australia. A bit of a loss to say the least but Matt Cross has done well even though he gets the names of horses wrong occasionally ? but he is a rising talent. 

Both HRNZ and the TAB introduced new websites. Both seem to be built for mobile users so it took some getting used to and the TAB site took a lot of flak early on. HRNZ continues to be an excellent site full of information and lots of revelvant stories. 

Matty Williamson represented NZ at the World Drivers and performed creditably.

The Aussie brigade at the NZ Cup and Inter doms were rubbish. Not just outperformed but smashed by the All Stars. They would be competitive against the rest of NZ lol.

The RIU seem to be all over place. No consistency. Rulings are confusing. Starts are confusing, even the mobile ones at times. But hey, if they think they are doing a good job then it is fine ?

INCA continues at a snail's pace. Some claim it is going nowhere and it is a sham but extra charges being laid recently must put those claims to the test. 2020 will be another holding year? Goodness knows who is charge or who is doing what and who is on what side. I wonder how Simon Lawson feels after getting 18 months for betting on another horse other than his own drive. That is efficiency if I have ever seen it.

The money continues to pour into the coffers (of who I don't know) for those in charge of the whip rule. Polarising.

Dream About Me retired after 11 groups 1s. I shouldn't say this but it barely causes a ripple as the All Stars machine just keeps pouring group one winners out.

Dream About Me also joined  a list of injured horses this year in Sweet On Me, Turn It Up, U May Cullect, Spankem and even  Ultimate Sniper who missed the first part of the year due to a knee complaint. The attrition rate can be high.

Both Inter dominion winners turned around their performances from before the series to defy the odds. Ultimate Sniper couldn't perform to a level to allow himself to get into the NZ Cup and Winterfell was a headcase. Remarkable .

Speaking of headcases, Sundee's Sun in and out performances were remarkable. Another trotter not finding his groove was Monbet and surely he must be retired now.

Shartin became the fastest mare of all time and amazingly Balraj went 1.49.1 after being just another horse in NZ.

Methven got moved to Ashburton due to the track conditions and the world seemed to stop spinning for a short time. Never put farmers in charge of growing grass...?

Mitchell Kerr made his name as a trainer with some standout horses like Smokin By and Matt Damon.

Alta Maestro and Pat's Delight passed unexpectedly and the great mare Kym's Girl left us at the age of 24.

Drivers need a pat on the back as their were very crashes or injured horses during the year. They all seem pretty competent (unless you are a hobby trainer, junior or amateur as then you may get treated like Jesus Christ on Good Friday by the stipes)

The stories in the Star about fridge gas being used on horses to improve performance could become the big story of 2020 if found to be proven. INCA and this would be a horrendous PR mix so it needs to be sorted quickly.

The Maurice Holmes Vase nearly didn't happen due to a shortage of entries until it was saved with a few late ones. Next year will be very interesting with the inter dominions after the Cup. It could kill the lead up races.

But, the best story of the year was the Overzealous one. After the awful accident, it was great to the trainers and horses recovering somewhere back to their best.

Not worth mentioning are the Box Seat - just rerun last year's shows and no one would notice and the excellence of the All Stars, as 2019, 2018, 2017 etc etc just merge into each other.

I am a bit tired after trying to remember this stuff and write it so I might head to the fridge to replenish?

Excellent summary mate.

The only thing I would add is the great effort by Sarah O'Reilly to win both the NZ Junior Driver Championship and Australiasian Junior Driver Championship in the same season. She seems to have inherited the driving genes of her father, Gerard.

I have not heard about the fridge gas being used to boost performance... surely you jest? I

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, globederby12 said:

Lest we forget Happy. The Jewels being  shifted to Addington, on one of the worst weather days in a long long time. Sleet, wind and driving rain, with hardly any public support apart from us owners huddling in the stands. 

That is an omission. 

What is the future of the jewels? Maybe if it was gone we would bemoan it's disappearance.

21 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

That is an omission. 

What is the future of the jewels? Maybe if it was gone we would bemoan it's disappearance.

If you leave the obvious out of Jewels day , its good fun with some surprise results in amongst  the minor  placegetters, which is good for those battlers and smaller stables competing on the big stage.

Its the one time of year I really have a larrip at them, so am hoping we get one or two qualifying next year as its a good excuse to have a few days off and enjoy some top racing. Cambridge nxt year and will have my son in law tagging along (as long as he behaves himself) and as long as we have a horse to run.

I think it would leave a gaping hole in age group racing if it discontinued. IMHO

• Like 1