Bit Of A Yarn

Cromwell Trots- Stake money??

Brodie

Love watching the Cromwell trots and they are probably quite a progressive club considering that they only have the one harness meeting a year!

I note that all the maiden races are worth $10k which is good!

However, question why race winners are racing for lesser stakes in several of the races, including one for as little as $7k?

Roxburgh the other day, the amateurs raced for a pittance being $6k!!!!!!
yes I appreciate we need to attract maidens to race but surely there are more than enough maidens around, but what incentive is there to race horses when race winners are racing for $6k and $7k?.

Personally believe that race winners should be racing for at least what non winners are racing for and you can see why our horses are being sold overseas in big numbers!

Anyway, hope everyone had a good New Year and if you are still punting, then have a prosperous successful year,

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Brodie said:

yes I appreciate we need to attract maidens to race but surely there are more than enough maidens around, but what incentive is there to race horses when race winners are racing for $6k and $7k?

seems that they are continuing to reward maiden winners along the lines of the top up that hrnz started in 2017 but have since discontinued

47 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

seems that they are continuing to reward maiden winners along the lines of the top up that hrnz started in 2017 but have since discontinued

Fair enough Ranga, but to the detriment of race winners who raced for $6k yesterday and $7k tomorrow?

It costs just as much to keep a race winner in work as a maiden!

Seriously, why would you bother?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

Love watching the Cromwell trots and they are probably quite a progressive club considering that they only have the one harness meeting a year!

I note that all the maiden races are worth $10k which is good!

However, question why race winners are racing for lesser stakes in several of the races, including one for as little as $7k?

Roxburgh the other day, the amateurs raced for a pittance being $6k!!!!!!
yes I appreciate we need to attract maidens to race but surely there are more than enough maidens around, but what incentive is there to race horses when race winners are racing for $6k and $7k?.

Personally believe that race winners should be racing for at least what non winners are racing for and you can see why our horses are being sold overseas in big numbers!

Anyway, hope everyone had a good New Year and if you are still punting, then have a prosperous successful year,

$15000 for the r56 - r110 pace, 13 horse field but the top rated horse r64!  such a hole between the very few highly rated horses left in the country and those further down the ladder.

• Like 2