Bit Of A Yarn

Nominations

Ludwig

Two meetings in the north this week, total nominations 180.             Three meetings in the south this week, total nominations 577.             And I get berated when I oppose closing clubs( both codes) where local interest is high, to support big city clubs.Grrr.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

5 hours ago, Ludwig said:

Two meetings in the north this week, total nominations 180.             Three meetings in the south this week, total nominations 577.             And I get berated when I oppose closing clubs( both codes) where local interest is high, to support big city clubs.Grrr.

The heart of harness is in Canterbury region but that is dependent on having a consistent tier down from Addington racing on both grit and grass. Attendance only happens at grass track meetings because it is a (cheap / fun / family) day out but it creates everything that is good about harness racing. Have a look at Motukarara.

Southland do well with a predominantly all weather racing surface but know when head off to the right regions at the right time eg Cromwell at New Year.

The North Island have no idea and are shooting themselves in the foot with their programming.  The irony is the upper North has a big population who go on holiday to all the places they could race at but what do they do? The opposite of what happens in the  other regions. 180 nominations shows the death spiral harness could be on up north.

Hey, but who gives a dam. 

180 nominations in the North is probably not too bad considering at times Auckland weren’t getting enough noms to even look like being able to stage a profitable meeting.

You are correct,  harness racing is pretty stuffed in the North Island and not a lot of promising things in the future with it.

How on earth Auckland is able to maintain the stake money at the moment is very hard to fathom.

No new trainers coming thru, junior drivers very scarce and without the South Islanders going up there, there wouldn’t be races for them.

Seasoned trainers getting out of the industry and very few new owners wanting in spells disaster for racing up there.