Bit Of A Yarn

Petrol Heads

Thought I would start this to see the reaction, and if any horse enthusiasts are into cars at all.

Here is my history with classic American cars. ( If you are into English or other ,thats alright.)As long as its not Holden ?

First was a 1934 Ford Victoria (imported),made in the second half of 1934 with the addition of a boot, and original Henry Ford steel. A small fortune but worth it. Original type 58 flat head V8.

Second was a 1939 Ford Tudor(standard) imported, full restoration model, it had a beautiful 1942 flathead V8 from a bren gun carrier. Cruise all day long at 70 mile an hour.

Third was a 1966 Buick Riviera, 425cu Nail head V8. Very quick off the mark with heaps of torque (a hall mark of nail heads)

Forth was a red 1968 Buick Electra Convertible, 430 cu V8, electric everything. Buick's were incredible.

My last (so far) a 1952 De Soto Diplomat Custom. Made in USA, assembled in Belgium as right hand drive and exported to England ,Sth Africa and Australia.

It arrived here as a swap for wool from the NZ Wool Board as one needed overseas funds for cars and most Chrysler's ( Plymouth, De Soto ,Dodge)ended up on farms.

In the process of pimping the De Soto. Rebuilding the flat head 6, installing new manifold with twin carbs and pipes provided from a connection in the States who raced Flat Head sixes at Bonneville .

Complete rewire and dashboard Gauges. Lowered two inches, with new low profile smoothies. Will sand down and repaint pastel green.

Any other car nuts out there.

Regards Globe.

Not a car nut Rees, but know enough about cars to get by.

My old man said if I averaged 80% in School Certificate(remember that), he would but me a car.  I did and he did, a 1938 Austin 10 which cost him $20.  I went out and bought a 1936 A10 for $15 abd we spent the next couple of years putting one decent car together.

We got most things right, the old man was an electrical engineer so knew his stuff, except, as it turns out, we didn't hone the cylinder walls so the rings could bed in. You would drive a few miles and oil would get pushed from the sump through the crank case into the gear box bell housing and drip out onto the ground.

We never figured out what the problem was for quite a while, so every couple of weeks had to pull the gearbox out, take out the clutch plate and clean the oil off it to stop it slipping.

Learnt the technique of double declutching in that car.

Good on you though, I presume you do all the work yourself.

Have to smile as you drive around Auckland, wall to wall 4X4's, mostly driven by the fairer sex.  I reckon 99.9% of them could not change a wheel if they got a puncture

3 hours ago, hesi said:

Good on you though, I presume you do all the work yourself.

No not all. Engine rebuilding I leave to the experts. Have mates in the trade so we swap jobs. A mate is going to rewire it, and I am going to do some work for him, even though I have my Associated Trades electrical ticket. Works well.

Have learnt heaps trying different things over the years and  being able to weld helps. 

The thing is with these cars there is a complete absence of electronics , no computers to go bust, only relatively simple electrics. 

So things are easily fixed.  

Say that again The air flow controller went on my Nissan a few years ago, I didn't even know I had one

You'll be right, sort off, in a nuclear explosion, no electronics for the electromagnetic pulse to knock out

7 hours ago, mumbles said:

No car nut but enjoy the AMERICAN PICKERS coming across rare vehicles on their show..

I would have to confer with that sentiment Mumbles. I love watching the show. Apart from the cars they stumble across, the amazing array of memorabilia stashed away in American homes and barns . Fascinating stuff really, and all the more interesting because of peoples inability to let go of what most people would call junk. 

Love the old American V8's Rees but never owned one basically because of the left hand drive. Son is now living in Colorado so we get regular reports on what is about, and at what price...!

Prefer the Europeans myself...currently on our seventh BMW, a 4.8i Motorsport X5 but the missus is making noises about getting "something smaller"......quite like the Audi S6 although its bloody hard to drive a normal car after being in a SUV......?