Bit Of A Yarn

harnesslink article on fresh indictments in new york

the galah

I have just been reading the above article,which on the face of it seemed pointless. They had removed the comments made by the president and CEO of the thoroughbred horse racing council of north america,James Gagliano. 

Well,that didn't surprise me given the NZ arm of harnesslink is a media outlet that always criticises anyone who suggests that performance enhancers are used in the sport and is so far up the backside of its favorite nz stable that they will never see the light of day. 

But i  suggest people google it as it is very interesting and only lasts about 10 minutes. Initially It has a lady discussing the plight of those who rehome and look after retired standardbreds and how their support network has been effected by the virus and how that has impacted on what they do.

And it has Mr gagliano discussing the performance enhancing subject. At one point he was asked what he thought of the the group of racing authorities who had come out and said the indictments showed the current system is working. He labelled that statement as a joke,and that those concerned would never have been caught without the input from federeral authorities and information from the  the company that investigates illegal drug use in other sports,because they were not sophisticated enough with their  testing and correlation of information..

It seems every year  from nz harnesslink we have been  told its only the uneducated,jealous underachieving losers who suggest the possibility that performance enhancers are being used and that success may not be totally down to superior skills.. People that write that are worse than those they cover up for.

• Like 1

Well it seems those that contribute to harnesslink in the USA have different views than the man who runs the nz side of things.

Best to listen to this weeks edition before the audio is taken off the harnesslink website like they did last week.

This time  it has an interview with a former president and chairman of directors of the United states trotting association.

Here's just a quick summation of what he had to say.

Cheating is a cancer that has been eating away at harness racing.

He is highly critical of the current leadership of the UTSA saying they are doing everything they can to stop light being shone on the corruption and use of drugs.

That those that want the industry cleaned up are facing resistance from within the industry and that is why they need an independent investigative agency outside harness racing.

The betting side and owner participation is being impacted because they have realised the industry is not a good industry to be in and is not being managed correctly when it comes to policing corruption.

That is one of the reasons the industry faces very difficult times ahead. He refers to yonkers(one of the tracks where cheating was prevalent ) and says the person that runs that track is unlikely to renew harness racings lease when it expires in 3 years time.

Now lets be honest. The USA is different from NZ.   But there are many similarities in attitudes of industry participants when it comes to corruption. Just look at the hatred,and i do mean hatred so many have expressed against those who investigated INCA.  John Curtin from harnesslink being one of the worst. Just look at the other website. Its ridiculous that so many would rather look after their mates and decry an investigation into corruption,rather than criticize dishonesty. Fair enough to have a view of waiting until something is proven,however the personal attacks always get louder when the truth is closer to being revealed. 

Edited by the galah

1 hour ago, Noodlum said:

You're a bit premature on the sanctimony!  INCA hasn't exactly been a goldmine of convictions.  More collateral damage than anything of substance.

Your reply just confirms what i have just said.  

You just don't get the point i am making,or if you do you ignore it  or simply don't care.

Guilt or not in the Inca case is not the point. What  Inca has shown is how many think dishonesty should not be exposed or  even investigated. Collateral damage? So that"s what you think undermining  punters confidence is..  

The United states cases i have referred to clearly shows that many believe that those who lead the sport over there have turned  a blind eye,and that ultimately will speed up the demise of the sport they are supposed to protect and administer..  It also proves 100% that performance enhancers were used,and as they put it had been a cancer,eating away at their sport for some time..

Remember the harnesslink stories of 3 or 4 years ago lambasting the meadowlands boss for the treatment he dared give to drug cheats. How dare he it said, when he had no proof.  What a plonker he has proved to be.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, the galah said:

Guilt or not in the Inca case is not the point. What  Inca has shown is how many think dishonesty should not be exposed or  even investigated. Collateral damage? So that"s what you think undermining  punters confidence is..  

Seems your sanctimony knows no bounds.  You arrogantly assume because I have been critical of INCA that I don't believe dishonesty should be exposed.

Have you considered that rather than ME not getting YOUR point or choosing to not consider it that you may not be making YOUR point not very well?

Tell us all how does INCA give punters any confidence?  A very flawed investigation that has so far made the RIU at best look incompetent or at worst corrupt.

"Oh but they are doing SOMETHING", you say.  And anyone who disagrees "doesn't get the point" or "doesn't want dishonesty investigated".

Edited by Noodlum
  • Like 2
  • Champ Post 2

3 hours ago, Noodlum said:

Seems your sanctimony knows no bounds.  You arrogantly assume because I have been critical of INCA that I don't believe dishonesty should be exposed.

Have you considered that rather than ME not getting YOUR point or choosing to not consider it that you may not be making YOUR point not very well?

Tell us all how does INCA give punters any confidence?  A very flawed investigation that has so far made the RIU at best look incompetent or at worst corrupt.

"Oh but they are doing SOMETHING", you say.  And anyone who disagrees "doesn't get the point" or "doesn't want dishonesty investigated".

"Have i considered that rather than me not getting your point.....that you may not be making your point very well." 

Yes i  did consider that as a possibilty before i replied. I say that  in my reply don't i.

My interpretation of your  comment about collateral damage  i took as an insight into your thinking. Collateral damage is unintended/unexpected. How do you know its been unintended  or unexpected.? I don't think that to be the case..

Your comment about "tell us all how does INCA give punters confidence? " Seems you haven't read what i said.  Its there for you to read so  go re read it.  I say"so thats what you think UNdermining punters confidence is"

Then your final comment about  my saying anyone who disagrees with me doesn't want dishonesty investigated. Another twisting of my words.  I state "what inca has shown is how many think dishonesty should not be exposed or even investigated".  Thats blatantly obvious in my opinion. . Anyway the word Many does not mean anyone or everyone. There is a difference and i would have said  so had i thought  that.. 

1 minute ago, the galah said:

My interpretation of your  comment about collateral damage  i took as an insight into your thinking. Collateral damage is unintended/unexpected. How do you know its been unintended  or unexpected.? I don't think that to be the case..

Right so INCA deliberately targeted Natalie Rasmussen for personal drug use?

8 minutes ago, Noodlum said:

Right so INCA deliberately targeted Natalie Rasmussen for personal drug use?

I'm  guessing not,and that would be an example of unintended consequences you refer to.

I have been referring to consequences from a harness racing side of things.