Bit Of A Yarn

How the TAB Got It Wrong - Lincoln Farms

Happy Sunrise

4 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Gives power to each of the codes to Register and DEREGISTER Clubs i.e. determine who races and who doesn't and who have other functions within the industry e.g. trials and workouts;

So why would HRNZ dump the likes of Geraldine or is this all after the deciding has been done under the cover of covid? 

4 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Of those clubs each code deregisters they will be given the power to acquire and distribute their assets as they determine (not the clubs).  Further if unable to get agreement or when they face legal difficulties in doing so they will be able to appeal to the Minister for An Order in Council to effectively confiscate those assets and distribute as the code administration recommends;

Clubs should sell up and distribute before they get pillaged.

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

FFS put a figure up?  You profess YOU are in the know but won't say.  

Can you give us at least an idea of what "nowhere near that" means?

I agree that betting on an unknown number is kind of hard to do.?  But does that number really matter anyway? After all, we know from examining the accounts over a number of years (or just reading the Lichter article that Happy posted) that the TAB's financial woes don't have anything to do with the odd high salary. Instead, those woes are primarily the result of being crap at fixed odds bookmaking (particularly on sports where they're subject to competition) and being taken to the cleaners as a result.

A couple of semi-related personal observations that are probably of no interest to anybody:

• In the early noughties, I had some involvement with John Allen via a shared connection with a Wgtn-based think-tank. He was, shall we say, distinctly underwhelming. That he's continued to be appointed to a succession of high-profile and high-paying roles has been one of my life's great mysteries. But his salary (as opposed to his business acumen) hasn't been the cause of the TAB's problems.

• Chch high school debating is run exclusively for the benefit of 3 private schools — St Maggots, Christs and STAC. So unlike Westland/Nelson back in your day, the corruption is based on class rather than politics.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Basil said:

I agree that betting on an unknown number is kind of hard to do.?  But does that number really matter anyway? After all, we know from examining the accounts over a number of years (or just reading the Lichter article that Happy posted) that the TAB's financial woes don't have anything to do with the odd high salary. Instead, those woes are primarily the result of being crap at fixed odds bookmaking (particularly on sports where they're subject to competition) and being taken to the cleaners as a result.

A couple of semi-related personal observations that are probably of no interest to anybody:

• In the early noughties, I had some involvement with John Allen via a shared connection with a Wgtn-based think-tank. He was, shall we say, distinctly underwhelming. That he's continued to be appointed to a succession of high-profile and high-paying roles has been one of my life's great mysteries. But his salary (as opposed to his business acumen) hasn't been the cause of the TAB's problems.

• Chch high school debating is run exclusively for the benefit of 3 private schools — St Maggots, Christs and STAC. So unlike Westland/Nelson back in your day, the corruption is based on class rather than politics.  

Basil, you are correct that it is not just Mr Allen’s ludicrously high salary that is the cause!!!

All of the other overpaid big wigs should also be on their bikes for total incompetence in allowing the TAB to go from a cash rich organization to a bankrupt organization.

It is the height of arrogance that these suits can expect to be paid in excess of $10k each and every week and all along knowing that the business was going backwards and eventually expecting a taxpayers bailout!!

Without doubt they all should be given the heave ho out of the establishment now as they had plenty of time to go against John Allen if they had high enough morals and business senses!
Instead they wanted to protect their own self interests being their massive salaries at the expense of the industry participants who at this stage would appear to be having to find a new career within the next year or so!!!!

To allow Allen to waste 40million and then an ongoing $17m per year is just total insanity and has now shown what poor decisions that many of these big wigs are capable of.

As for doing a crap job on fixed odds especially on sports betting, I somewhat agree!

They were hard on stopping anyone semi successful On fixed odds betting on harness racing by not allowing them on to win!

However they were prepared to accept unlimited amounts on sporting events at the expense of the racing industry.

They would fly people all over the country and pay employees high salaries for doing next to nothing without the blink of an eye!

I knew that the current hierarchy were bloody useless, however I don’t think many knew just how useless!!!

Edited by Brodie

On 7/06/2020 at 4:01 PM, Happy Sunrise said:

He 'hears' things. All top secret of course.

Well of course it is if your told confidentially.Did you ever think to listen?

The Chief bailed on a bet that his number was correct re CEO salary or even close but then he is a guesser and loves to debate without facts on this occasion. As for salary i have passed a number on to another BOAY poster. In the fullness of time one of us will be right . whats your guess?. By all means keep having a crack at me , its what you do best and have done for ages without even getting close to a bullseye IMHO.

Greg

Edited by JJ Flash

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

Well of course it is if your told confidentially.Did you ever think to listen?

The Chief bailed on a bet that his number was correct re CEO salary or even close but then he is a guesser and loves to debate without facts on this occasion. As for salary i have passed a number on to another BOAY poster. In the fullness of time one of us will be right . whats your guess?. By all means keep having a crack at me , its what you do best and have done for ages without even getting close to a bullseye IMHO.

Greg

it is all in your head who is having a crack at you??