Bit Of A Yarn

Race dates,next season question.

2 hours ago, mikeynz said:

After reading the draft what changes would you like,what changes if any do u think will happen.

Waterlea gets a double header on the grass and Geraldine keeps at least one date, preferably the November date. The racing at these venues is good value.

Not sure why Invercargill gets so many meetings when they seem quite self sufficient down that way.

They better be sure Forbury and Timaru closing for harness is the right thing to do. Once they go, they are gone forever.

28 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

A few days old but see it is not mentioned anywhere.

Shame about Wyndham as it is a good betting track. If Gore gets ONE date on grass then Geraldine can get its date back off Methven.

image.png.553df3c2322f7060227cd3a78850ad3b.png

Nothing makes sense.it seems the heads of hrnz need to be cut,they ain't working for harness racing,why race at gallop track in town and give all money to another code,in the invercargill setup.

Edited by mikeynz

11 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

Nothing makes sense.

RITA is in charge. 

So $139 million is allocated for next season. My question is though, will harness get its share to maintain the stakes of last season or will more of the 139 go to gallops? They seem to get everything else that they want ahead of the 2 other codes.

2 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

RITA is in charge. 

So $139 million is allocated for next season. My question is though, will harness get its share to maintain the stakes of last season or will more of the 139 go to gallops? They seem to get everything else that they want ahead of the 2 other codes.

Maybe that's why they want all the races at ascot park,give all the funds to gallop club,the harness guys can pull the pin from invers if they want,they've done it before in the past.

In the early eighties the trot club raced at Winton as a dispute with gallop club over fees ,nothing stopping them doing it again.The gallop track has a long history of problems,add that the home straight is only 200 meters gee greyhounds home straight almost beats that.

Edited by mikeynz
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

RITA is in charge. 

Quite possibly as under the new structure the codes have to agree.  Saundry vs Holden vs Hughes.

However there will be another organisation created called Racing NZ.

Yet another Board and more cost.

I've yet to work out where the extra revenue is coming from but supposedly they are smarter than all of us.

1 minute ago, Chief Stipe said:

Quite possibly as under the new structure the codes have to agree.  Saundry vs Holden vs Hughes.

In the June 23rd interview on HRNZ, Holden didn't know the figure of the bulk funding which is a touch odd considering it was only a couple of days later it came out. In the same interview he said that 139 needed to be divided up between the codes and he was still pushing the 'up to 25% less' number for stakes.

I just feel HRNZ is out of the loop and at the mercy of the big players. 

I don't think there is any success for this code until harness racing gets to see its share of the pie.

4 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I just feel HRNZ is out of the loop and at the mercy of the big players. 

I suspect that too.  Thoroughbreds are going to go into bat with the theory that because they have higher costs to produce then they should get a bigger cut of the pie.

The Dogs well they'll be getting stuff all kibble with Hughes batting for them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I suspect that too.  Thoroughbreds are going to go into bat with the theory that because they have higher costs to produce then they should get a bigger cut of the pie.

Don't the 3 codes operate independently under the new Racing Act? Won't that lead to codes fighting each other?

4 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Don't the 3 codes operate independently under the new Racing Act? Won't that lead to codes fighting each other?

Yes and No.  There will be a new Organisation called Racing NZ which has a Board comprising the three codes and sport.  It is that organisation that will decide how to cut the pie.  I think that's how it is going.....

It all looks like a disastrous rearranging of the deck chairs if you ask me.  

Plus the success of the whole shemozzle is reliant on getting the assets put of the 20+ tracks they are closing down.  Good luck with that one.

Won't worry Winston as he won't be around!

Just now, mikeynz said:

Personally I wouldn't even worry about these arseholes if they think that the dates are set as they set them,easy enough to change if  push comes to shove.

Wouldn't count on it.  We haven't seen ANY push back from clubs so far.  Nor do they have any power other than to take what they are given if they are lucky to be given anything at all.

2 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Plus the success of the whole shemozzle is reliant on getting the assets put of the 20+ tracks they are closing down.  Good luck with that one.

Really? How is that? Do you just mean Avondale with all its associated $$?

But are the tracks closing down to be sold or will they continue to operate as training tracks?

Just now, Happy Sunrise said:

Really? How is that? Do you just mean Avondale with all its associated $$?

But are the tracks closing down to be sold or will they continue to operate as training tracks?

Shoot no.  We are talking 20+ not just Avondale.  However don't be surprised if Avondale lead the fight in the Courts.  The law that they passed looks full of holes to me.

Many of those tracks closing down will not be recognised as training tracks indeed some are already designated as "not suitable".

How do you think Riccarton or Awapuni will fund their component of the All Weather Tracks without acquiring assets from elsewhere?

Stakeholders are going to get some rude shocks in the ensuing months.  Otago Gallops and Harness already have.