Bit Of A Yarn

"WASH YA GATES!!!"

Are me ears deceiving moi or is that what the Starter's yelling out..simultaneously as he/she releases the field when pressing the button??

Maybe the Jocks all carry a rag out with them and give them a swipe as they leave or something...wiping all the b/s they've just spouted out to the starter...or the Shyte talk they expunge in the gates between themselves...

...like "which one of us is going to lead boys and girls...ok I'm gunna take an uncontested lead...agreed?...yep no probs"

Because we know what goes on girls and boys....

Anyway..if it's "Watch ya Gates"...which could be a possibility ...then that would be the silliest requirement that the previous Barrier Boys at Ellerslie ever foisted upon the rest of the country...

...you know... when they had a mass meeting of Starters...organised by the hopeless RIU at HQ so ALL Starters in NZ were on the same page...aka PROTOCOLS 

Guess what...there is ABSOLUTELY no good that can come out of that ridiculous standard requirement...only F Ups

Which is what happened back in a March at HQ...when unbelievably the new Starter McGovern...a vastly experienced Starter....got all miscombomulated and pressed the go button while shouting out the required b/s "WASH YA GATES"!!!

Trouble is he didn't press the button hard enough...the Jocks anticipated he would....over half the field hit the gates...the Jocks then looked around to abuse him...then McGovern let them go!!

Without a vet check FFS!  4 Horses came back to scale injured and McGovern got hauled into the room

"McGovern...WTF were you doing letting the field go without vet checking them"

"Your Honour...I didn't see any horses hit the Barrier"!!!

Holy f...if b/s were Jelly Beans...McGovern just swallowed the whole f in packet right there!

That aside you'd think the hopeless boys at the RIU would realise that "Wash ya gates" was a hopeless dead end nothing good to come out of it b/s statement.....yea na

Come the return to Racing post bug...surprise surprise...the rusty Starter at Riccarton on the first 2 days...

"ok...last one coming up boys and gals....WASH YA GATES"!!!

" oh..f me hold it..no power"!!!

Brilliant...at least no horses hit the gates hard enough to come back injured....4/5 did though...

Listen up John Oatham of the hopeless RIU...just tell them to STOP IT

NOW..

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, nzhorseracing said:

What did i just read

Let moi simplify the readings for you...

Many of us care for the state of NZ Racing...

Retaining pathetic protocols such as these led to the McGovern f up

Similar to the pathetic scenes at HQ where Gripper lost the plot in the COA Cup....by not following laid out common sense protocols...funnily enough

Hope that helps

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So another f up by the Highly touted ex HK starter McGovern...

After Gripper and Scooter didn't bother reading the Starters Manual and got the DCM...post City of Auckland Cup debacle...

McGovern came out of retirement in sleepy Muttamutta...and promptly fell asleep!  Forgot to push the re-set button at the HQ Premier meeting...

...yelled out "WASH YA GATES"...the Jocks anticipated the start...as ya do...and almost all of the field hit the front of the stalls...

Did the Macca get anything vet checked??  NA!

Four horses came back injured with 3 bleeding ffs!

So to Pukekohe a couple of weeks ago....AGAIN forgot to push the re-set button....just a few hit the stalls this time...

...a few too F IN many though!  At least the Stipe at the start butted in before Old Tones could press the button with vet checking this time...

Maybe Tones should tape a big reminder notice across the Starters panel

PUSH THE F IN RE SET YOU FOOL

Read and weep

LIVVY LASS, IL AFFARE and PACIFIC MASTER all removed from the barrier after striking the front of the gates being cleared fit to race after undergoing veterinary examinations. Starter Mr T McGovern reported that the incident was due to an attempt to start the race when the reset switch had not been activated FFS.

Re -set button.  I see now.  

We had permission to put a problem horse in the [ raceday ] gates following jumpouts.

Got her in with a bit of 'discussion'  and after she had [ finally ] settled and was standing quietly, it was time to let her pop out.  But the starter had ambled off to do something else and was nowhere in sight.

What to do?  None of us watching had had any practice or knowledge of starting procedures.   There was  no guarantee the horse would remain calm until the bloke was  found.    Finally, one watching apprentice jockey volunteered to push the button.

Logically, he had been closer to the procedure than any of the rest of us, so seemed the best call at the time.

But they didn't open.

And the horse, which up to then was having quite a good learning/confidence experience, hit the gates, and went absolutely berserk. Lucky she and/or her rider weren't killed.

Yeah, I get you now.

Yes, it should be idiot proof.  I could have worked it then.

There is, I believe, a manual over-ride but again, I don't know how to trigger that.  Too late now, anyway, the horse's racing career is finished , the owner won't invest again, and the rider was lucky to escape with a few bruises.

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Seems like a poor system if it isn't fool proof.  No disrespect Freda.

It's like a Car...put it into gear before it goes vroom vroom...

Imagine the barriers being LIVE at all times and a bird acidently lets loose a big un after a night of Wind a loo??

12 minutes ago, Thomass said:

It's like a Car...put it into gear before it goes vroom vroom...

Imagine the barriers being LIVE at all times and a bird acidently lets loose a big un after a night of Wind a loo??

Dickhead.  Do you actually read anything?  Is there a light on the dashboard?

As evident from the mistakes the system needs fixing.

Moi's dash or the Starters?

If McGovern can't remember he could put a plaster over the starter hole button....which reminds him to press RE-SET...then Whip the plaster off after he's pressed re-set...but never ever say WASH YA GATES again...

Cos if he screwed up the Jocks simply anticipate the start...and crash into the closed gates....again...

Id say 3 strikes and you're out McGovern...go back to sleepy Muttamutta

Pretty simple

It seems the flaw in the system is the starter who didn't reset the gate electrics. Either that or they should be automatically reset. However that may create a risk of them being triggered accidentally so it seems sensible to have a 2 step process. A bit like having a double layer of password protection for more confidential files. Though I don't think encryption would be a good idea here.

• Haha 1

Yep I think I pretty much said that big C...

The real problem is this shouting whatever just before the gates open...

Can you imagine THE ENGLISH DERBY starter yelling shit like WASH YA GATES??

Its happened twice in August at Riccarton....

"ok...wash ya gates.....oops didn't push the power button"

A number charged the gates....again

Nothing as bad as McGovern at HQ in March though

Premier day...didn't get vet checked....same day down South Kylee Williams does a wee victory salute just before the post...fined 2 Hundy

McGovern lets 4 horses race injured....3 of them 3rd last, 2nd last and last and he gets a...

REPRIMAND

F ME

Interesting after that NM...

George Simon who knows McGovern well told us he expects Jockeys to be ready AT ALL TIMES....

Hes old school....unfortunately he's come into a system where ALL starters throughout the country were told to start this way....standardisation it's called...

The problem being he wasn't prepared for a re/set button and yelling out "WASH YA GATES"

Gripper had part of it right

"ok last one coming up riders"

Thats where it should end....nothing else needs to be said....

...this b/s WASH YA GATES has created 4 races where horses have struck the barriers head on now....