Bit Of A Yarn

Betting market percentage 158%

Rusty

Methven race 5 final field odds - 

158% betting market percentage. 

ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY-EIGHT.

At least a bank robber would do the decent thing and give some clues, that they are stealing!! 

158% is criminal. 

Market opened at 137% 

But then a few hours later, the market changed, and here it is: 

#1 scratched

#2 - 21's into 18's

#3 - 5.50 into 4.80

#4 - 7's into 4.80 

#5 & #6 no change 

#7 - 21's into 13's 

#8 & #9 scratched

#10 & #11 no change 

#12 - 6.50 into 6 

#13 - no change 

#14 - 6 into 4.20 

#15, #16, #17 & #18 no change

Do we see a wee sneaky pattern here?

So out of the 15 runners, odds of 6 horses were reduced, some quite noticeably. 

But here's the thing - 

Not one single horse drifted in the market (final field). 

It's fine and dandy to say if you don't like the odds on offer, don't bet into that market. That market at one hundred and fifty bloody eight percent. That's fine I will not. But a large portion of punters out there, are blind to this. And they deserve to be treated better than getting ripped off blind. 

Let's get this straight. The people setting and adjusting these markets are not bookies. They are not bookmakers. Real, genuine bookmakers, wouldn't operate markets the way they do in Petone. 

• Champ Post 3
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Rusty said:

Let's get this straight. The people setting and adjusting these markets are not bookies. They are not bookmakers. Real, genuine bookmakers, wouldn't operate markets the way they do in Petone. 

Great post Rusty.

158! Good darts score but not a market percentage for a race.

It is no surprise is it. We have always said they are no bookies.

The setting of the odds was off the mark (for me that is) as I alluded to about a few other horses in another thread. Some a bit high but many short. 5s for Dreamsinthe Mist is a direct fear of the trainer and nothing to do with the horse's ability as it has been very mediocre at the trials.

The TAB will loosen the odds this morning once they awaken. It seems to be the pattern. They also seem to be very paranoid about getting taken to the cleaners when the market opens up so it seems the day before race day is a defensive day for the TAB harness team.

Aveross Spitfire at 7ff is a classic example of the TAB setting the odds. 

The only thing I can say in their defence is the odds are only incorrect after a race. If Spitfire wins then they are right, if Gil Favour doesn't win, they were right.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

33 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Funny.

Good to see he reads this channel. 

Either that, or it was just a scary freaky coincidence that he tweeted (if that is even a word) about the exact same rant as me 30 minutes after my post, late on a lazy Saturday night. 

Good on him though. He has a big audience, and the more people that can be made aware of these bastards trying to rip us off, the better. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rusty said:

Either that, or it was just a scary freaky coincidence that he tweeted (if that is even a word) about the exact same rant as me 30 minutes after my post, late on a lazy Saturday night. 

Good on him though. He has a big audience, and the more people that can be made aware of these bastards trying to rip us off, the better. 

He quoted the  Great Rusty. Flattering.

I paste his tweets on here sometimes as he has good information and mentions things worth discussing. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

The TAB will loosen the odds this morning once they awaken. It seems to be the pattern. They also seem to be very paranoid about getting taken to the cleaners when the market opens up so it seems the day before race day is a defensive day for the TAB harness team.

Dead right Happy. 100%. 

No, actually you are 158% correct. 

It is all very well for them and others to brag that "the market is already open, the odds are out (early)." Bullsh!t. Noone should give a monkey's if the odds are out early, and they are set at damn near 160%! Jesus. 

As sure as night follows day, the TAB will lengthen out most of the outsiders, closer to start time. They have to. They have to because the market percentages need to be closer between the tote and the final field odds. And there is every chance, a good chance, that the tote divi's will be a lot higher than the final field odds on offer. And if they are not, then the favourites will be better on the tote. 

The rare occurence where the TAB offers stupid money (market opening odds), on a decent horse in a race (i.e they misread the market), there is the possibility that they cancel the bet and say the odds set were wrong (like Love N The Port a few months back). Sneaky bastards have the rules to suit themselves. And then they bitch and moan about offshore leakage, and wonder why. 

Give me a break. 

• Champ Post 1

40 minutes ago, Nowornever said:

Was that a 158% market with emergencies still in the field?

158% is daylight robbery but would logically be higher with extra horses still in the field.

Dead right it's daylight robbery, but I guess a lot of crime happens late on a Saturday night (when I was looking at the fields). And at that time, numbers 1, 8 and 9 were already removed from the market, leaving a field of 15 runners at 158%

• Champ Post 1

I honestly think they (NZ TAB) are trying to take advantage of the drunk, or "under the influence of alcohol" punters late on a Saturday night, amongst others. 

We have all seen them at local pub-TABs with a self service machine. Feeding notes into it and then wildly hitting the screen getting their bets on horses/sport events, well after a few too many lemonades onboard. They are not exactly going to take a step back and think hmmm what odds exactly am I taking here.

The market betting percentage started off at 137% upon opening. Which is bad, but kind of normal. The criminal part comes in when 6 horses are moved in and none moved out, creating a 158% market. 

That's enough ranting from me. I'm off to see if Brodie has given me some help by offering his picks for today so I can enter the comp! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rusty said:

Nice try Rusty... silver medal 🥈 for you.

186CF660-6395-4F25-8F31-165CE3FF22F3.jpeg

758A1FAC-1409-4333-B7C7-87BB360E6DA5.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Spatchcock said:

Nice try Rusty... silver medal 🥈 for you.

186CF660-6395-4F25-8F31-165CE3FF22F3.jpeg

758A1FAC-1409-4333-B7C7-87BB360E6DA5.jpeg

9 minutes for me to read that tweet (immediately), and then type my post out on my cell phone haha on ya champ. I'm not after any medals, whatever colour they may be. 

To be fair, this has been happening for many weeks, that several horses have been shortened in and nothing at all lengthend!

I didnt bother working out what the% was, as the TAB does what it wants to!

Amounts able to be won is pitiful and when you do get on, they slash the odds several times, so it looks like there has been a big go on it!

It can take a couple of hundred dollars on to basically halve a fixed price, both win and place!

The TAB seems to want to drive punters away in big numbers, and they will achieve it bigtime!