Bit Of A Yarn

Interesting Stipes reports to come! Both from Hastings and Ellerslie! Incorrect Weight Allocated to Two Horses - Club Official informs Stewards AFTER Horses Leave for Start!

Chief Stipe

20 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Isn't it an NZTR issue?  Aka Mr Saundry?

Yes. It's a handicapping stuff up but I agree with Pike and the JCA as to the ruling.

Interesting that the JCA could find no official programme for the race!

Edited by curious

1 minute ago, curious said:

Yes. It's a handicapping stuff up but I agree with Pike and the JCA as to the ruling.

Since when has Pike and Saundry shown so much love for the Punter?  I suggest it was in the Pikes interests to have the weights stay where they were (did he know before hand? - as a professional trainer you would think he would) and Saundry wouldn't want a punter outcry and would have wanted it swept under the brush asap.

Look at the timeline.

The Calendar was determined weeks ago.  Conditions of the race are published - for Maidens as at midnight 28 July

Nominations closed - noon Tuesday 13 October.
Weights declared - Wednesday 14 October (mistake is made).
Withdrawals - 10am Wednesday 14 October.
Field declared noon (?) Wednesday 14 October.
Riders declared 1pm Wednesday 14 October.

I think the first chance that punters can get to punt is Friday morning.  That's a full two days after the fields have been declared.

Horses are in Parade Ring - Saturday 17 October after the jockey's have weighed out but some time before 1:20pm - a HB Official notifies the Stipes of the "mistake."

Stipes decide that the two horses in question need to carry the correct weight.  Both horses had won twice since 28 July and were R63 horses in a maiden field so get a 1kg penalty.  Pike the trainer of one files an information with the JCA at 1:20pm.  Pike with Saundry in tow argue that "the punters shouldn't be disadvantage."

When did Pike and Saundry FIRST know of the mistake?  I don't believe that these "professionals" only found out 10 minutes before the race was due to start!!!!!  That is at least 72 HOURS after the mistake was first made!

As for the JCA saying that have no jurisdiction over who made the "administrative" error - give me a break!  I thought there was a "bringing racing into disrepute (embarrassment)" rule?

• Champ Post 1

More Amateur hour in NZ racing!

NP Raceway

Withdrawal Morning
Weather: Cloudy
Track: Slow 8
Rail: Out 7m| 1mm Rain Overnight 
Weather and track updated at 8:38am Wednesday 21 October

Please note that the running rail has now been advised as Out 7m

Nomination Morning
Weather: Overcast 
Track: Slow 8