Bit Of A Yarn

Harness Racing Is Dying?

Newmarket

The first thing that comes to mind is the drug problem. An honest horseman has no chance at succeeding if the powers that be allow so many cheats to rule this sport.

I don't think this applies to New Zealand. 

This next topic really bothers me, and I assume it bothers many others as well. All of the drivers today are friends,

Remember the last time you were on that corner street in Rome and you meet this Kiwi fella who was friends with your brother....we live in a fish bowl so I think the drivers are going to know each other pretty well. Can't change it.

Trainers, all of the small farms or barns have no chance to compete anymore. The super trainers have all the money, they get the better horses, and get the best drivers as well. Harness racing really needs to find a solution for this. 

Well, that is the Purdon barn. A solution would be good but the author didn't give one.

Why hasn’t harness racing become more popular like T-bred racing? To me it is very simple, people want a chance to win big amounts of money. 

The author is more onto it here, why the TAB doesn't allow massive pools to build up is frustrating. The same old 25 000 or 50 000 Pick 6s are chump change to the general public. Racing needs a monthly jackpot rising well into the hundreds of thousands, if not more.

Unfortunately, not too many answers given.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

If the TAB had a consistent Pick 6 pool (jackpot or they just front up with money) every 4 or 5 or 6 weeks of hundreds of thousands of dollars would you bet into it?

Pick 6 is there each week I suppose....I don't like the bet myself.....but some on here tell us they know so much....they should be cleaning up bigtime..