Bit Of A Yarn

One rule for some.... not for others.

Amazing how the industry operates. Example David Walker lifelong career destroyed over  alleged corrupt bets no more than $1000 similarly Darren Weir over some instances of using jiggers. In Darren Weir's case.... 

Mr Weir will not be permitted to participate in the racing industry in any way over the four-year period, including, but not limited to his participation in the training of horses, attending race meetings and licensed premises and deriving any benefit from the industry.

Now look at Leo Molloy. Advertising for Melbourne Cup day with the iconic Boys Get Paid.  $150 per person with heaps of prizes. Not only is the prizes element arguably against the Gambling Act ( you can't say a 2 course lunch is worth $150) its obvious Molloy is "deriving considerable benefit from the industry".

Hard to fathom Boys Get Paid already falling foul of gambling laws now associating with Molloy. There are plenty businesses running Melbourne Cup promo's but then again only Molloy thinks he is above the law.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Na he is just giving them the finger.  Any word on his contempt sentencing?

Probably buried thats the way the NZ legal system works when an influential QC is on the job.

Now its interesting that all around Australia and to a lesser degree in NZ there are bars and restaurants cashing in on the Melbourne Cup at no cost. Thats not the case when fight promoters in the USA find their fight being illegally shown.

e.g. 

Mingling among the fight fans Saturday will be an army of private investigators and freelance "auditors" armed with smartphones and camcorders who are paid a bounty for finding establishments that show the event without paying the commercial licensing fees.

And for those who get caught, a bevy of lawyers stand ready to extract more than a few pounds of flesh.

Edited by The Centaur

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add to the topic. The Racing industry bans a person from participating or deriving benefit from it. The TAB on the other hand says stuff you we need to derive max benefit so they join up with the banned person and in a whisker the approx $15,000 fine is eliminated. According to head honcho at the TAB their operations are more important than a Racing Industry ruling.

On Melbourne Cup day the TAB betting caravan was located on or next to property leased by Molloy. I don't necessarily agree with the banned requirements but surely any judicial rulings should be applied equally to all.

Banned should mean banned.  But hey David Walker is hosting the TAB betting caravan at his home. All welcome.

14 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

Just to add to the topic. The Racing industry bans a person from participating or deriving benefit from it. The TAB on the other hand says stuff you we need to derive max benefit so they join up with the banned person and in a whisker the approx $15,000 fine is eliminated. According to head honcho at the TAB their operations are more important than a Racing Industry ruling.

On Melbourne Cup day the TAB betting caravan was located on or next to property leased by Molloy. I don't necessarily agree with the banned requirements but surely any judicial rulings should be applied equally to all.

Banned should mean banned.  But hey David Walker is hosting the TAB betting caravan at his home. All welcome.

If what you say is correct then that is hypocrisy at its worst.

However in Molloy’s defence he has always defended and actually fought for David Walker.

The hypocrisy lies with NZ Racing Admin.  You can't proclaim integrity if you are inconsistent with the application of your "grey" rules.

• Like 1

On 13/11/2020 at 12:28 PM, Chief Stipe said:

If what you say is correct then that is hypocrisy at its worst.

However in Molloy’s defence he has always defended and actually fought for David Walker.

The hypocrisy lies with NZ Racing Admin.  You can't proclaim integrity if you are inconsistent with the application of your "grey" rules.

I presume the Victoria Racing Club holds some sort of trademark over the Melbourne Cup. Therefore if a business wants to use it for advertising and promotional purposes it would need to obtain permission. There is no way the holders of the trademark would allow a banned person exploiting the Cup regardless which country. Offcourse this being outside the normal duties of the mega paid legal eagles employed by the TAB or NZTR then obviously over their heads.

8 hours ago, The Centaur said:

I presume the Victoria Racing Club holds some sort of trademark over the Melbourne Cup. Therefore if a business wants to use it for advertising and promotional purposes it would need to obtain permission.

That's drawing a long bow and why pick on one business.  There is hardly a bar in NZ or OZ that doesn't promote Melbourne Cup Day.

If you have a beef with Molloy then that's OK but keep to specifics otherwise you look like you have a personal ax to grind.

7 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

That's drawing a long bow and why pick on one business.  There is hardly a bar in NZ or OZ that doesn't promote Melbourne Cup Day.

If you have a beef with Molloy then that's OK but keep to specifics otherwise you look like you have a personal ax to grind.

You miss the point. The Melbourne Cup is a valuable brand. Most bars owners are not banned from racing and Melbourne Cup is just another major sporting event shown in the bars. If one wants to use the Cup over and above the norm then like any trademarked event I daresay would need permission.

16 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

You miss the point. The Melbourne Cup is a valuable brand. Most bars owners are not banned from racing and Melbourne Cup is just another major sporting event shown in the bars. If one wants to use the Cup over and above the norm then like any trademarked event I daresay would need permission.

Then file a complaint.  However the point is where do you draw the line on who can or cannot use it?  Plus you don't know if permission was asked for and granted to the company that owns the bar in question.

Now if you are gunning for a scrap why don't you get on the case for when the said establishment starts their Karaka Millions or Auckland Cup events.

The person that you seem to have a gripe with is not allowed on a race course or to own a racehorse.  There is nothing in the rules saying that person can't hold a party that promotes themselves AND the event.

As I said above I don't agree with Molloy's antics.  Personally I've been on the receiving end of his vile abuse even when I helped him out.  There are a lot of people in that category.

I don't agree with the way he goes about things and I certainly don't agree with what he has done with regard to the contempt of court case.

BUT he did go into bat for David Walker AND he did go into bat for those who have been on the raw end of the misguided (illegal?) INCA investigations.  I wouldn't have him on my team but full credit for his support of those who have been mistreated.

Shoot if he makes a few dollars out of hosting the BGP on Melbourne Cup Day and takes the piss in doing so well I don't have a problem with it.

Is there some element of hypocrisy from the Racing Authorities?  Yes there probably is - for one they are not hiding in hedges in the Viaduct!  But that isn't Molloy's fault - point the finger at where it should be pointed.  Those who hid in hedges to catch David Walker riding trackwork on a private property and who hid in hedges to raid harness training properties to catch nothing.