Bit Of A Yarn

WTF

Joe Bloggs

Anyone provide an acceptable answer to why there are 30 trials today? When I was a kid riding out at 15 we had only the odd 'Matinee' as we called them then, few and far between, would that be because the blokes and ladies training back then could get their horses ready without these things? The bloke I was apprenticed to could get horse to win first up, first starters all educated and ran well......oh, we only had racing twice a week back then too, what gives? are they trying to win a trial to sell to Asia do you think? or do they need to see what they can do as it's too dark in the mornings or their track riders are keeping secrets from them?.......love to know, do tell.

Speaking as an accomplished fence-sitter....I'm told that the Cambridge lot don't get the use of their gallops whenever they wish, as the huge numbers in training there preclude that.  Okay, I can understand that, but now that the AWT is in action, that shouldn't be an issue.

Clearly, the need/desire to sell drives most trialists I should think regardless of the above comment.

Locally? the tracks and the rules inherent mean that no more than two are supposed to be worked upsides.  That doesn't provide suitable education for a novice in my book.  You can't work your baby tucked in behind a couple of older sorts to get a line on him and teach him.  In our day, JB,  the the boss may give a youngster a couple of quiets before deciding that it is ready to 'have a go' ..again, that is frowned upon now... and with no form you have no ratings points so can't get a start.  A trials win does give you that.

Also,  the tracks available may be awful so you go somewhere else to get a nice gallop into your horse.   The cost is draconian all the same.

I've trialled some more than I would like, because barrier manners, for example, need polishing - yes we do have jumpouts but only up the back straight as a rule, and from the old wooden gates.  Apply raceday conditions and overhead gates and things can be very different as we found out with a recent barrier drama.  

As for the track rider comment - it may well be that it is a chance to get  jock on as opposed to your fledgling apprentice, for an opinion and education.  There is no doubt that a quality rider is worth at least fortnight's work to your novice.

21 minutes ago, Freda said:

Speaking as an accomplished fence-sitter....I'm told that the Cambridge lot don't get the use of their gallops whenever they wish, as the huge numbers in training there preclude that.  Okay, I can understand that, but now that the AWT is in action, that shouldn't be an issue.

Clearly, the need/desire to sell drives most trialists I should think regardless of the above comment.

Locally? the tracks and the rules inherent mean that no more than two are supposed to be worked upsides.  That doesn't provide suitable education for a novice in my book.  You can't work your baby tucked in behind a couple of older sorts to get a line on him and teach him.  In our day, JB,  the the boss may give a youngster a couple of quiets before deciding that it is ready to 'have a go' ..again, that is frowned upon now... and with no form you have no ratings points so can't get a start.  A trials win does give you that.

Also,  the tracks available may be awful so you go somewhere else to get a nice gallop into your horse.   The cost is draconian all the same.

I've trialled some more than I would like, because barrier manners, for example, need polishing - yes we do have jumpouts but only up the back straight as a rule, and from the old wooden gates.  Apply raceday conditions and overhead gates and things can be very different as we found out with a recent barrier drama.  

As for the track rider comment - it may well be that it is a chance to get  jock on as opposed to your fledgling apprentice, for an opinion and education.  There is no doubt that a quality rider is worth at least fortnight's work to your novice.

What a bloody shame and shambles, Hawera back in 68, we had a set of caddy gates up the back and we had our horses jumping out and running up 600/800 whenever we wanted, back then the likes of Deac, Wally McEwan, Ginner Hart, Herbie Bergerson, to name the larger stables would organise the Jumpouts and 'or we had enough to run our own......no fees, no fools either, and if the track was rooted through bad weather, up the road to Pihama, and the old racecourse to gallop......to think you are still jumping from Wooden gates, christ almighty, how the mighty Riccarton has gone backward.

Educating our babies, as Deac had 4 apprentices, not uncommon to work 4, gallop, jostle them about, make a bit of noise, get them to go through gaps,..... serious, but good fun for horse and rider. Being taught by Campbell and Walker helped, 2 of the countries leading jockeys never mind apprentices, it was different back then, times have changed, health and safety and new rules, the horsemanship is just not there with these young ones, in general I mean......there are some outstanding young riders coming on, Hazel S for example, but her boss id old school, his Dad was the best as was the uncle, so Hazel has a huge head start........IMO of course.

Not your fault, but why hasn't the bloke with the leviathan team spoken out.........

• Like 1

Yep, I remember the third ride- out, boss didn't go, we took the novices and raced each other for milkshakes,  cigarettes,  and yeah, we'd try and run each other off the track, I cringe at the thought now but those horses were educated all right.  So were we...!

3 minutes ago, Freda said:

Yep, I remember the third ride- out, boss didn't go, we took the novices and raced each other for milkshakes,  cigarettes,  and yeah, we'd try and run each other off the track, I cringe at the thought now but those horses were educated all right.  So were we...!

Were the milkshakes malted?

• Like 1