NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Holy S**T Aaron Kuru

pete

I'm sitting here in Brizzie with a few mates enjoying bacon sandwiches watching the jump racing from NZ, when we saw what none of us have witnessed before, an absolute wonderful display of horsemanship. Congrats AK......if this doesn't go viral, nothing will....#bestseatinthehouse

• Like 2

Heard T Lee's call on radio - had to then go watch on TV - the call was no exaggeration - incredible effort by Aaron Kuru.  

Also fabulous, gutsy effort by the horse to pick itself up and still get up to win.  

(would love to know what Aaron said to the clerk of the course after he got back on and galloped off ... ?)

Edited by jess
addition

8 minutes ago, jess said:

Heard T Lee's call on radio - had to then go watch on TV - the call was no exaggeration - incredible effort by Aaron Kuru.  

Also fabulous, gutsy effort by the horse to pick itself up and still get up to win.  

(would love to know what Aaron said to the clerk of the course after he got back on and galloped off ... ?)

Race you back to the winning post!

Sorry mate I don't need a hand.

• Like 1

Guest CrossCodes

Reminds me of years ago, in the same colours as well I think, when DeeCee Seven was so exhausted at Trentham I believe and he collapsed and slid across the winning line and held onto the race. This was almost as dramatic and those who backed the horse might want to send some of the winnings to Aaron Kuru!

Bloody good effort from the horse to, to be able to get straight back up and into full gallop mode straight away, many would have thought bugger this.

Sensational athleticism from Kuru...previously a potential NZ Softball player I've heard ??

Dont want to put a dampener on things sensational..

but

...if we're following the rules...and rules rule ok??

This horse should have been scratched....

Lets face it..the horse FELL...all fours were sideways as they were skidding along the ground...Kuru came totally off and slid alongside...

...besides...the horse FELL...did I say the horse FELL??

The Stipes investigated....and then came up with a totally new rule about the ajo

1. (c)  if a horse and/or Rider falls or gets away from its Rider after a race has started [Amended 1 June 2013]:

1. (i)  that horse shall take no further part in the race unless:

1. (A)  the Rider has been examined by a Racecourse Medical Officer, and

2. (B)  the horse has been examined by a Veterinary Surgeon; and

2. (ii)  provided that both the Rider and the horse are passed fit to race, that horse may be remounted and the Rider shall ride to either [Amended 1 June 2013]:

1. (A)  behind the place where the fall occurred or where the horse got away from its Rider, or,

2. (B)  if the horse missed a jump prior to such fall or where the horse got away from its Rider, a place from which the horse can approach and negotiate that jump 

• Champ Post 1

Interesting as I'm sure I've previously seen jockeys remount their horses after falls (albeit not that dramatic/outstanding) in order to weigh in and claim some of the spoils - never seen vets 'n' docs scamper onto the track in the midst of it all to give them the green light ....

Perhaps that's what A Kuru's quick word with the clerk of the course was about? - maybe the clerk's a particularly erudite and well qualified man and gave the all-clear for man and beast to continue .... ?  

• Like 1

Yes Jess that was a few years ago now though..

...you may remember during the reign of Cammo George, there was bedlam one day when Jocks were re-mounting all over the place...

...he changed the rule after that...and coincidentally the rest of the jumping World already had the current rule in place...

Obviously in the good olde days of anything goes and tally ho...

There were injured horses being re- mounted...and of course injured concussed Jocks..

Now every man and his dog knows that horse FELL...

The Stipes took the flat rule of contact close to the winning post in this case...

...and ignored the Jumping Rule of "falls must be Veterinary checked...and Jocks passed by Docs"

It spoils a great story...but you simply can't  have rules for one instance and glory...and not the other

12 minutes ago, Thomass said:

Yes Jess that was a few years ago now though..

...you may remember during the reign of Cammo George, there was bedlam one day when Jocks were re-mounting all over the place...

...he changed the rule after that...and coincidentally the rest of the jumping World already had the current rule in place...

Obviously in the good olde days of anything goes and tally ho...

There were injured horses being re- mounted...and of course injured concussed Jocks..

Now every man and his dog knows that horse FELL...

The Stipes took the flat rule of contact close to the winning post in this case...

...and ignored the Jumping Rule of "falls must be Veterinary checked...and Jocks passed by Docs"

It spoils a great story...but you simply can't  have rules for one instance and glory...and not the other

good old cameron george what a great bloke

4 hours ago, Thomass said:

Sensational athleticism from Kuru...previously a potential NZ Softball player I've heard ??

Dont want to put a dampener on things sensational..

but

...if we're following the rules...and rules rule ok??

This horse should have been scratched....

Lets face it..the horse FELL...all fours were sideways as they were skidding along the ground...Kuru came totally off and slid alongside...

...besides...the horse FELL...did I say the horse FELL??

The Stipes investigated....and then came up with a totally new rule about the ajo

1. (c)  if a horse and/or Rider falls or gets away from its Rider after a race has started [Amended 1 June 2013]:

1. (i)  that horse shall take no further part in the race unless:

1. (A)  the Rider has been examined by a Racecourse Medical Officer, and

2. (B)  the horse has been examined by a Veterinary Surgeon; and

2. (ii)  provided that both the Rider and the horse are passed fit to race, that horse may be remounted and the Rider shall ride to either [Amended 1 June 2013]:

1. (A)  behind the place where the fall occurred or where the horse got away from its Rider, or,

2. (B)  if the horse missed a jump prior to such fall or where the horse got away from its Rider, a place from which the horse can approach and negotiate that jump 

..... Have you heard of the " 3 Seconds  Rule "  : 

.... If you drop any food on the ground , you have 3 seconds to pick it up and still eat it  :D:D .... Aaron`s reactions were well under 3 seconds!!

:ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I'm not arguing the point one way or the other Thomass  - merely observing.

In fact back in the day - I heard that another jockey remounted someone else's fallen runner and finished the course! 

When did the rule change? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jess said:

I'm not arguing the point one way or the other Thomass  - merely observing.

In fact back in the day - I heard that another jockey remounted someone else's fallen runner and finished the course! 

When did the rule change? 

Good observation Jess...

The old rule even allowed for wannabe tally ho's members of the public to jump the fence and just get on...

Cammo changed it around 8 years ago and it was Re-written 5 years ago...

Nothing could be clearer...the horse took off...screwed mid air...landed awkwardly and...

FELL on landing 

There appears to be a whole lot of romantics out there prepared to ignore THE RULES...ok

A rules a rules a rule...where the 'romantic' Stipes dreamed up the jockey "had contact" rubbish from...wtf knows??

Its an INTERNATIONAL rule ffs...

...he immediately should have pulled up after FALLING...

...like it or not

You can't have "however after falling and the jockey falls out of the saddle and slides nicely alongside...but held the reins...and goes onto win to become a World wide hero"

..."then that's ok"

thats b/s...

But the CD Stipes like making or ignoring the RULES...

After last years Trentham debacle,  where the starter allowed an attendant to stand in front of the entire field...and the subsequent mee lee of Riders getting jettisoned...

..and not ask one question of the Starter...after he broke the RULES

ffs, NZ looks like a country back water when this type of thing happens

FELL...look up the definition in the Equestrian Handbook one day...

Edited by Thomass

7 hours ago, Thomass said:

Good observation Jess...

The old rule even allowed for wannabe tally ho's members of the public to jump the fence and just get on...

Cammo changed it around 8 years ago and it was Re-written 5 years ago...

Nothing could be clearer...the horse took off...screwed mid air...landed awkwardly and...

FELL on landing 

There appears to be a whole lot of romantics out there prepared to ignore THE RULES...ok

A rules a rules a rule...where the 'romantic' Stipes dreamed up the jockey "had contact" rubbish from...wtf knows??

Its an INTERNATIONAL rule ffs...

...he immediately should have pulled up after FALLING...

...like it or not

You can't have "however after falling and the jockey falls out of the saddle and slides nicely alongside...but held the reins...and goes onto win to become a World wide hero"

..."then that's ok"

thats b/s...

But the CD Stipes like making or ignoring the RULES...

After last years Trentham debacle,  where the starter allowed an attendant to stand in front of the entire field...and the subsequent mee lee of Riders getting jettisoned...

..and not ask one question of the Starter...after he broke the RULES

ffs, NZ looks like a country back water when this type of thing happens

FELL...look up the definition in the Equestrian Handbook one day...

you really need to chill out or go on holiday with bailey to singapore to help him settle in

• Haha 1

Could not believe that the result was in question, but then also did not know about “the rule” either. Surely the circumstances on Saturday will have NZTR reviewing/removing that rule - hats off to the stripes for a common sense outcome in this case.

• Like 1

Oh dear....acting Cheief Stipe Williamson was on yesterday trying to explain the indefensible...

" Goodwin told me the action(of falling) was 'one fluid action' and the jockey had his hands on the reins"

No Willie...the neddy FELL...all four hooves were pointing in the AIR...the jockey was unseated sliding alongside the FALLEN neddy...

...the horse could have been injured in the process of FALLING...

...that's the purpose of having the INTERNATIONAL rule...to stop FALLERS and injured Jockeys continuing on while injured...

You can't have a rule that says

" since the FALLER continued on and won...it obviously wasn't injured...and the jockey held the reins"

no no no...that's a country bumpkin rule...which we used to have

It turns out the conversation Kuru could be seen having with the Clerk went like this

" can I keep going"

" yea go for it"

The Clerks need to be quizzed up on the....RULES OK

" no you fell...you're a gonnnner...pull up...you've had your chance and you FELL"

..should have been the narrative