Bit Of A Yarn

BARNESWOOD FARM ECLIPSE STAKES (G2) - How good is Khufu?

Dividend Doc

• Journalists
1h 31m1.54pm

BARNESWOOD FARM ECLIPSE STAKES (G2)

Stakes:100000 NZ
Class:2YO SW
Distance:1200 METRES
Rail:Out 3m | 4mm Irrigation Applied Overnight
Option Numbers:FFWIN: 203, FFPLC: 1203
TIPS:3, 5, 2, 1
Win/PlaceQuinellaTrifectaFirst4Big Race Pack

Win:$5,490.00
Place:$3,360.00
|
Easybet
WIN
Easybet
PLACE
Stormy
JLisa Allpress(56.5)
TTony Pike
Avonallo
JCraig Grylls(56.5)
TJamie Richards
Sword Of State
JOpie Bosson(56.5)
TJamie Richards
Wolfgang
JShaun McKay(56.5)
TPeter McKay
Khufu

JMichael McNab(56.5)
TTony Pike
JSamantha Collett(54.5)
TGlen Harvey
Imperatriz
JDanielle Johnson(54.5)
TJamie Richards

36 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Interesting Khufu was talked up big time from the Waikato.  Even Te Akau thought he was the horse to beat today and in the Karaka.  Now he is unlikely to have enough $'s to even make the field.  Maybe that AWT form isn't all that hot?

Try running at the beach , then on the grass , you use your legs completely different , same with horses , i am giving A/W trials no consideration when studying form , there will be the odd one buck the odds but not many .

Wait till they start racing on A/W's and horses start going no good on it , they will start to struggle to get the numbers . We haven't got the population . 

Very few dirt track stallions have made an impact in the southern hemisphere , for a reason .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Interesting Khufu was talked up big time from the Waikato.  Even Te Akau thought he was the horse to beat today and in the Karaka.  Now he is unlikely to have enough $'s to even make the field.  Maybe that AWT form isn't all that hot?

Maybe he should stick to the Egyptian sands

2 minutes ago, nomates said:

Try running at the beach , then on the grass , you use your legs completely different , same with horses , i am giving A/W trials no consideration when studying form , there will be the odd one buck the odds but not many .

I'm picking that that track at Ellerslie is rapidly heading towards a G2.  Some horses are not handling it and Khufu didn't look like he did.  Notice also how the jockey's are not going too wide on the track in the straight either.  It will be as hard as concrete out there.

32 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I'm picking that that track at Ellerslie is rapidly heading towards a G2.  Some horses are not handling it and Khufu didn't look like he did.  Notice also how the jockey's are not going too wide on the track in the straight either.  It will be as hard as concrete out there.

They broke 1.09 and he motored thru the first 2 furlongs using a bit of gas , he was stepping up from an 800 trial and going against experienced race fit horses , had a lot going against him , and the betting drift showed the punters were of that mind . He had won on grass at Ruakaka a bit back so not like he didn't have grass experience . I think he's got serious ability , just a lack of fitness and working so hard early told in the end . They knew they were up against and were pulling the trigger to try and make the millions , they will back off and go again . 

Will make a lovely 3yo .

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, nomates said:

They broke 1.09 and he motored thru the first 2 furlongs using a bit of gas , he was stepping up from an 800 trial and going against experienced race fit horses , had a lot going against him , and the betting drift showed the punters were of that mind . He had won on grass at Ruakaka a bit back so not like he didn't have grass experience . I think he's got serious ability , just a lack of fitness and working so hard early told in the end . They knew they were up against and were pulling the trigger to try and make the millions , they will back off and go again . 

Will make a lovely 3yo .

Those exact same things didn't stop Imperatriz!

9 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Those exact same things didn't stop Imperatriz!

She drew 1 and done little in the running and had a race on a wet track a month ago , so had race fitness on her side and a soft run with cover . The disappointing runner for mine was the fav .

3 hours ago, nomates said:

Wait till they start racing on A/W's and horses start going no good on it , they will start to struggle to get the numbers . We haven't got the population . 

Very few dirt track stallions have made an impact in the southern hemisphere , for a reason .

Exactly right, some very good points. So if we can't follow the form from the AWT to the grass , whats the point of it from a punters perspective ?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Huey said:

Exactly right, some very good points. So if we can't follow the form from the AWT to the grass , whats the point of it from a punters perspective ?

That's the problem these turkey's have overlooked.  If you look at the UK approach they tend to have AWT horse's and Turf horse's i.e.  each sticks to to their preferred surface.  

I'm picking it is going to take those Cambridge trainers a couple or three seasons to work out how best to manage their training to achieve the same level of results.  

In my opinion training up a young horse solely on an AWT isn't going to develop horses with strong bone and ligament/tendon structure.

Curious and Freda might have a different opinion as they have had hands on experience.  I'm just looking at it from a theoretical perspective with an understanding that you have to stress horses to make them stronger.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

That's the problem these turkey's have overlooked.  If you look at the UK approach they tend to have AWT horse's and Turf horse's i.e.  each sticks to to their preferred surface.  

I'm picking it is going to take those Cambridge trainers a couple or three seasons to work out how best to manage their training to achieve the same level of results.  

In my opinion training up a young horse solely on an AWT isn't going to develop horses with strong bone and ligament/tendon structure.

Curious and Freda might have a different opinion as they have had hands on experience.  I'm just looking at it from a theoretical perspective with an understanding that you have to stress horses to make the stronger.

I have every faith that those running the industry know very little about the sport, but what surprises me most is the trainers in behind the AWT , it appears as though they have only looked at it from a training perspective?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Huey said:

I have every faith that those running the industry know very little about the sport, but what surprises me most is the trainers in behind the AWT , it appears as though they have only looked at it from a training perspective?

Well for the one at Awapuni to pay its way they are either going to have to close all the other courses in the CD including Trentham and Hawkes Bay or magically find a shyte load of horses from somewhere.

56 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Curious and Freda might have a different opinion as they have had hands on experience.  I'm just looking at it from a theoretical perspective with an understanding that you have to stress horses to make them stronger.

The Kensington track in Sydney is a prime example , just like the night racing at MV and Canterbury . But they have the populations that fill that arena , but even then it is a small percentage of their horse population , but it give those horses that like it an outlet .

As for development issues , the exercise in it's self will help those , but IMO too much forces a horse into an action the allows it to handle that surface that it may not be able to change when going onto grass , same issues arise when horses are worked solely left or right handed . I'm a firm believer that most issues around sound bone etc are created with poor diet as young horses i.e. older foals thru weanling and yearling stages . Seen many a young horse raised solely on grass as it's principle diet that has structural deficiencies , owners saying it was raised on good grass so should be enough .

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

17 hours ago, nomates said:

Will make a lovely 3yo .

1/2 second faster than the Railway