Bit Of A Yarn

NZTR Change the Rules to hide their own Mediocrity!

Chief Stipe

Racing: Jockey shortage sees reduction of big bans

3 minutes to read
Jockeys such as Kozzi Asano will likely be racing more over summer. Photo / Trish Dunell
Jockeys such as Kozzi Asano will likely be racing more over summer. Photo / Trish Dunell
NZ Herald
By: Michael Guerin

Thoroughbred racing bosses are asking stewards and the Judicial Control Authority to help them avoid a jockey shortage over the summer, which should see suspensions reduced as hoops cop fines in lieu of an extra day out of the saddle.

New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing has released new guidelines for the next six months they hope will stem the tide of jockeys being banned as racing enters its busiest period.

NZTR's new guidelines suggest fines only for the first two breaches of the whip rule while fines can be added to suspensions for careless riding to reduce those terms and get jockeys back to the track quicker.

"We think the new guidelines will enable us to keep more jockeys riding, which is crucial at such a busy time of the year," says NZTR chief executive Bernard Saundry.

Saundry is quick to point out that horse welfare is still paramount when talking about breaches of the whip rules, with a starting point for sentencing for third offences a hefty $2000 fine and a two-day suspension.

"We aren't compromising on that," says Saundry.

The guidelines for careless riding charges range from a $250 fine and four-day suspension for minor offending up to a starting point of a nine-day suspension for more serious offending.

"We realise jockeys will get careless riding charges from time to time and we wanted to give the RIU and JCA guidelines that can punish that but still enable jockeys to be back riding a day sooner," says Saundry.

The ranks have already been hit by disqualifications, injury and retirements while overseas jockeys are extremely unlikely to be riding here this summer. There are seven race meetings in the top half of the North Island alone in eight days starting on Boxing Day.

"We are facing a jockey shortage and while bad riding will still be punished, we want to work with the jockeys and the authorities to find what is best for the industry," says Saundry.

Senior steward Alan Coles told the Herald they are happy to work with the guidelines but jockeys also have different takes on the new rules.

"For a jockey who is going to be riding at the carnivals they will probably prefer a fine rather than an extra day to get them back to the races," says Coles. "But I have also had some of the jockeys who ride less say to me they would rather have an extra day suspension if they have to rather than having to pay $500."

Just now, Chief Stipe said:

Thoroughbred racing bosses are asking stewards and the Judicial Control Authority to help them avoid a jockey shortage over the summer, which should see suspensions reduced as hoops cop fines in lieu of an extra day out of the saddle.

"Oh we are running out of Truck Drivers because they have lost their licenses for speeding and dangerous driving so we want the penalties reduced".

Um!  Isn't the shortage of Jockey problems related to a number of factors which are fully within NZTR's control and which they have done nothing for years?

Yes it is old news however it is another example of inconsistency in the application of the rules.  So it is aligns with the BS around the application of different penalties is a race is a Grp race or not or if the Stakes value is higher.

Old news or not the debate should continue as long as the rules are applied inconsistently.

That is different from you banging on about incidents that happened 3 years ago!  That's not old but downright ancient.

8 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

So the powers-to-be are pressing for fines in lieu of suspensions FFS. Why would a battling jockey prefer a suspension than a preposterous fine Mr. Saundry???

The underlying problem with the RIU / JCA is they get carried away with their own self importance and lose the common touch. I recall when the likes of Ching (a current JCA member and chair) was a battling mediocre jockey, now this very same prick doesn't hesitate to put the boot into jockeys at every opportunity.

Saundry is right with one thing though, the jockeys room of today more resembles a Thai prison !

8 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

So the powers-to-be are pressing for fines in lieu of suspensions FFS. Why would a battling jockey prefer a preposterous fine than a suspension Mr. Saundry ???

The underlying problem with the RIU / JCA is they get carried away with their own self importance and lose the common touch. I recall when the likes of Ching (a current JCA member and chair) was a battling mediocre jockey, now this very same prick doesn't hesitate to put the boot into jockeys at every opportunity.

Saundry is right with one thing though, the jockeys room of today more resembles a Thai prison !

1 hour ago, billy connolly said:

So the powers-to-be are pressing for fines in lieu of suspensions FFS. Why would a battling jockey prefer a preposterous fine than a suspension Mr. Saundry ???

Of course you all know why this is happening? 

They (y"all know who they are) dont want another Opie KM situation .

Bernard Saundry, James Dunne and co have been scrambling desperately looking for new sources of revenue. It was only a matter of time before they seen the money once reserved for the injured jockeys fund bolstering the coffers. No longer under Saundry and co do the fines go to the Injured Jockeys Fund. 

These fines now help prop up the Salaries of executives.

Morally I would have thought it was a bit on the nose to take money from crippled jockeys but we live in a world of Desperado's running racing for their own good so expect more decisions like this to made.

If the Injured Jockey's fund was still receiving the "Fines money" I sincerely doubt there would have been any change to this rule.

As earlier mentioned NZTR have had plenty of opportunity to do something about the jockey shortage. They have been warned for years about it as it has unfolded. They have not wanted to know about it and have failed to acknowledge it existed.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Bernard Saundry, James Dunne and co have been scrambling desperately looking for new sources of revenue. It was only a matter of time before they seen the money once reserved for the injured jockeys fund bolstering the coffers. No longer under Saundry and co do the fines go to the Injured Jockeys Fund. 

These fines now help prop up the Salaries of executives.

Morally I would have thought it was a bit on the nose to take money from crippled jockeys but we live in a world of Desperado's running racing for their own good so expect more decisions like this to made.

If the Injured Jockey's fund was still receiving the "Fines money" I sincerely doubt there would have been any change to this rule.

As earlier mentioned NZTR have had plenty of opportunity to do something about the jockey shortage. They have been warned for years about it as it has unfolded. They have not wanted to know about it and have failed to acknowledge it existed.

I'm surprised to hear that, as I'd have thought the jocks would kick up a stink. One area of the sport that has a considerable amount of power to alter things are the jocks.

NZTR simply do not know what they are doing, they are a copy paste organisation at best.

BS will cause considerable damage to the local industry before he goes back to Aus, unfortunately alot of it will be irreparable by then.

Your line of thinking may be correct about the injured jocks fund, but I can see a time when certain stables argue that there isn't a suitable enough rider around to ride their horse , so they get to pay the fine and have the rider available. Today would have been a prime example of that I'm sure. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony said:

Bernard Saundry, James Dunne and co have been scrambling desperately looking for new sources of revenue.

Makes one wonder why they are spending $2m on a new computer system that I fail to see will generate any revenue nor improve substantially any area of the operation.  I guess another business case is missing!

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Makes one wonder why they are spending $2m on a new computer system that I fail to see will generate any revenue nor improve substantially any area of the operation.  I guess another business case is missing!

Automated billing, perhaps it integrates with the studbook or the Racing Bureau or something like that?