Bit Of A Yarn

A TAB NZ fail or just a personal Pet Hate?

I use the Blackbook facility on TAB NZ to keep track of horses that I have an interest in or that catch my eye.

I get an email notification when one of my blackbookers are lining up.  

Which is all good but....

Why the F#%K do I get a notification when they are SCRATCHED saying "Some of your Favourites are Racing today"?  Not late scratched but scratched before the email is sent!

I get all excited and rush in to check the odds and....deflation.  It's a bit like being on a promise and just before racetime she gets a headache!

Please fix this TAB NZ!  If you want to add some value then include in the email what you're offering on fixed odds and maybe a promotion bonus on the price!

Yes, this issue frustrates me, too. 

I am equally frustrated that I cannot access a list of early scratchings for the next days races. Sure, I can find them by clicking race after race but that is very time consuming. IMO, if a race is open for betting then a current scratching list should be available to punters. 

14 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I use the Blackbook facility on TAB NZ to keep track of horses that I have an interest in or that catch my eye.

Why the F#%K do I get a notification when they are SCRATCHED saying "Some of your Favourites are Racing today"?  Not late scratched but scratched before the email is sent!

I get all excited and rush in to check the odds and....deflation.  It's a bit like being on a promise and just before racetime she gets a headache!

Please fix this TAB NZ!  If you want to add some value then include in the email what you're offering on fixed odds and maybe a promotion bonus on the price!

Are you meaning favourites, I had some on my list,jockeys drivers and trainers,never once got a notification,check to see if I had my settings correct and they were but still nought.

6 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

Are you meaning favourites, I had some on my list,jockeys drivers and trainers,never once got a notification,check to see if I had my settings correct and they were but still nought.

Some of us BIG professional punters term it Blackbooking but yes the TAB calls it Favourites.  

Probably Blackbook is not politically correct in NZ anymore.

• Like 1

Well just read that scratching time for Ellerslie tomorrow is 12.30 , so if you want to put a bet on before lunch then go out somewhere you are just going to have to take your chances that your bet is going to run . Don't know why they think trainers need the extra 5 hours to decide if their horse is going to run .

10 minutes ago, nomates said:

Well just read that scratching time for Ellerslie tomorrow is 12.30 , so if you want to put a bet on before lunch then go out somewhere you are just going to have to take your chances that your bet is going to run . Don't know why they think trainers need the extra 5 hours to decide if their horse is going to run .

Things happen travelling to the course.

50 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Some of us BIG professional punters term it Blackbooking but yes the TAB calls it Favourites.  

Probably Blackbook is not politically correct in NZ anymore.

Are you really a professional punter or still have to go to work like most of us?

9 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

Are you really a professional punter or still have to go to work like most of us?

LOL.  I bet stuff all.  Can't afford to bet.  In terms of racing I'd rather back my judgement and spend my money on buying into a horse I liked.

Certainly would never pretend to be an expert on betting unlike some!

Still working on my database and computer program.  

nicolas cage wink GIF

1 minute ago, Chief Stipe said:

So you wouldn't have your horse on course before 12:30pm tomorrow?

How many times do you see a late scratching from a horse travelling to the races , not many . They don't have a late scratching time every time they have a twilight meeting . 

Anyway a horse scratched because of an issue on the way to the races is extra ordinary , the rest of the horses connections should be able to make their mind up by the usual 7.30am .

9 minutes ago, nomates said:

How many times do you see a late scratching from a horse travelling to the races , not many . They don't have a late scratching time every time they have a twilight meeting . 

Anyway a horse scratched because of an issue on the way to the races is extra ordinary , the rest of the horses connections should be able to make their mind up by the usual 7.30am .

You just proved my point.  It may be rare but it still happens.  A million dollar race why not be flexible?  

Why not have another 2 yr old race on the undercard?  Where the ballots are top of the order.  Spread the love a bit more.  There are some nice horses that have missed out.  Let them race for $50k.  No NZTR subsidy of course.

So they change the scratching time just in case of an extraordinary event . Nah .

In any case the scratching time is 12.30 pm , so no horses will be on course till well after that , so it wont cover that contingency .

It's just giving trainers an extra 5 hours to decide whether they are running or not , don't know what's going to sway them one way or the other in that time . A horse that isn't running at 7.30am isn't going to be running at 12.30pm . If a horse gets injured in after 7.30am it can just do the usual thing and be a late scratching .

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

LOL.  I bet stuff all.  Can't afford to bet.  In terms of racing I'd rather back my judgement and spend my money on buying into a horse I liked.

Certainly would never pretend to be an expert on betting unlike some!

Still working on my database and computer program.  

nicolas cage wink GIF

We can all bullshit people on here aye lol,racing survives on betting,betting unfortunately is a losing game,I have given my service to the TAB,racing industry so for now I'm not betting just now because at present i too cant afford it,still like the interest in racing matters though,when you bet and either you bet for something to do or dont get excited about best to give it a spell but after time once you stop it's not that bad anyway,just the same as trackside radio,as it's not on and you stop listening you just change ya habits,after a while you just stop worrying about it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nomates said:

In any case the scratching time is 12.30 pm , so no horses will be on course till well after that , so it wont cover that contingency .

I bet my last dollar that they will be there well before 12:30pm.  You wouldn't risk an Alligator Blood scenario.  I'd have my horse there by 10am.  Pinch a box.  Settled in and relaxed.  Especially when $1m was up for grabs.  Anyone who was travelling further than Auckland, Northland or Waikato would have their horse there the night before.

27 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I bet my last dollar that they will be there well before 12:30pm.  You wouldn't risk an Alligator Blood scenario.  I'd have my horse there by 10am.  Pinch a box.  Settled in and relaxed.  Especially when $1m was up for grabs.  Anyone who was travelling further than Auckland, Northland or Waikato would have their horse there the night before.

Have they got boxes ? there only ever used to be 5/6 in the old set up , hard to get . Haven't heard about boxes in the new set up , good if they have .

Standard practice if in tie ups is 2/3 hours before race . Less if your horse is an active type .

36 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

We can all bullshit people on here aye lol,racing survives on betting,betting unfortunately is a losing game,I have given my service to the TAB,racing industry so for now I'm not betting just now because at present i too cant afford it,still like the interest in racing matters though,when you bet and either you bet for something to do or dont get excited about best to give it a spell but after time once you stop it's not that bad anyway,just the same as trackside radio,as it's not on and you stop listening you just change ya habits,after a while you just stop worrying about it.

Just to add,turnovers are going well so racing and the TAB will continue fine without my contribution anyway,I always listened to trackside daily,in some ways the tab have done me a favor but gee I couldn't even tell ya what races are on except for our own stuff which I like to keep a close interest in.

5 minutes ago, nomates said:

Have they got boxes ? there only ever used to be 5/6 in the old set up , hard to get . Haven't heard about boxes in the new set up , good if they have .

Standard practice if in tie ups is 2/3 hours before race . Less if your horse is an active type .

They must have boxes for colts and stallions.  But they should have the decent facilities for good tie ups.  Afterall it is the Premier track and it is the Horse that puts on the show.

5 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

They must have boxes for colts and stallions.  But they should have the decent facilities for good tie ups.  Afterall it is the Premier track and it is the Horse that puts on the show.

Well like i said only ever had a few . I remember being there with a horse for Jimmy Choux Derby i think , well He's Remarkable was putting on a real colty performance in the tie ups , that was enough to put me off him as a stallion , and proven right , his progeny were very touchy .

Be interested if someone could say if they added boxes with the new facilities .

On 22/01/2021 at 3:39 PM, Chief Stipe said:

I didn't realise you'd be having sooooo many issues recently...

Did Ma Santa give you punting money or something?

Here...

ian.long@tab.co.nz