Bit Of A Yarn

Transparency?

Joe Bloggs

41 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Oh ye gods, they pre-race tested today, congratulations! For a while only you have rejoined the 1st world racing fraternity, I hope you find the funds to continue this practice and regain the trust and confidence of the punting, owners and trainers collective.

I doubt it made one jot of difference to the punting turnover figures.  If you are anything to go by no one knew before hand anyway.

1 minute ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Please explain? Were you pissed when you wrote this? has Tom hacked your computer?

Well you obviously didn't know BEFORE the race meeting that there would be pre-race testing.  So that raises the question who did know and when?  So it can't have had any impact on betting on that particular meeting.

Now the next thing to consider does pre-race testing raise punting turnover?  I haven't seen any evidence to support that contention.  That aside where is the evidence that pre-race testing achieves more than post-race testing.

I think you maybe one out on this Chief, talking to a few trainers yesterday here and all of them were gobsmacked that most meetings in NZ go by without pre-race testing. I'm not the punter I was, age has caught up with me, and wisdom, but no way we would bet large on races where they could be milk shaking FFS...and the old bi-carb has many uses, not only does it assist with tummy aches and makes your silverware shine like a babies bum, it masks other illicit and illegal pain killers and go fasts....it has done since God's dog took a dump outside Adam and Eve's bungalow. Read the stipes report from the meetings here yesterday and look at how many pre-race tests conducted...

3 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Well you obviously didn't know BEFORE the race meeting that there would be pre-race testing.  So that raises the question who did know and when?  So it can't have had any impact on betting on that particular meeting.

Now the next thing to consider does pre-race testing raise punting turnover?  I haven't seen any evidence to support that contention.  That aside where is the evidence that pre-race testing achieves more than post-race testing.

I'm 2000km away, however, those on the ground know absolutely when there is pre-race testing Chief, you're not that naive are you...I don't really think you are..if so, you wouldn't last 5 min here.

And I do recall an interview with a leading Kiwi trainer whilst he was over in Oz, "we have to behave ourselves here"..that comment raised eyebrows over here.was he being facetious or a Freudian slip of the tongue.

I do know without question that CD trainers have been known to scratch horses from trials when it was leaked there would be TC02 testing at the trials.

Trainers in Oz that have served long stretches have been picked up by pre race testing.on race day.  Ive seen horses at the races in NZ with haematomas that were obviously race day administration, but as usual nothing was done, and no way I was going to be a whistleblower, we all know what happens to whistleblowers...

7 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

I think you maybe one out on this Chief, talking to a few trainers yesterday here and all of them were gobsmacked that most meetings in NZ go by without pre-race testing. I'm not the punter I was, age has caught up with me, and wisdom, but no way we would bet large on races where they could be milk shaking FFS...and the old bi-carb has many uses, not only does it assist with tummy aches and makes your silverware shine like a babies bum, it masks other illicit and illegal pain killers and go fasts....it has done since God's dog took a dump outside Adam and Eve's bungalow. Read the stipes report from the meetings here yesterday and look at how many pre-race tests conducted...

But not EVERY horse at EVERY race meeting in EVERY State.

As for bicarb where is the evidence to show that pre-race testing is more likely to capture it within the time-frame that it would be effective?  Where is the irrefutable evidence that bicarb "masks" the detection of other drugs?

5 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

I'm 2000km away, however, those on the ground know absolutely when there is pre-race testing Chief,

Maybe the Trainers do Joe.  But do the punters?  

You still haven't answered the question about what does pre-race testing actually pick up that post-race testing doesn't.  

Any research on what the effects of taking up to 6 vials of blood from a horse 2 hours out from a race?  Then doing it again if the poor horse happens to win?  To achieve what?

Given the accuracy of modern testing the biggest issue is not failing to detect a substance but in getting a false positive due to the ability to pick damn near single molecules of a substance!

3 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

But not EVERY horse at EVERY race meeting in EVERY State.

As for bicarb where is the evidence to show that pre-race testing is more likely to capture it within the time-frame that it would be effective?  Where is the irrefutable evidence that bicarb "masks" the detection of other drugs?

Of course not every horse, race, state, random testing and aimed at horses firm in the market and big shorteners.

2 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Maybe the Trainers do Joe.  But do the punters?  

You still haven't answered the question about what does pre-race testing actually pick up that post-race testing doesn't.  

They would pick up the same Chief, you would hope, what it does do, massively is to deter needling Raceday, the fear of a 'lump' or blood on the jugular would raise concerns, we have had a few recently taken out before racing as they were treated within the one clear day rule..do you have the same rules in NZ? Bi Carb levels are announced in the RIU for standard breds I see and they do great testing, but not the thoroughbreds...I scratch my head with that.

25 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

I think you maybe one out on this Chief, talking to a few trainers yesterday here and all of them were gobsmacked that most meetings in NZ go by without pre-race testing. I'm not the punter I was, age has caught up with me, and wisdom, but no way we would bet large on races where they could be milk shaking FFS.and the old bi-carb has many uses, not only does it assist with tummy aches and makes your silverware shine like a babies bum, it masks other illicit and illegal pain killers and go fasts..it has done since God's dog took a dump outside Adam and Eve's bungalow. Read the stipes report from the meetings here yesterday and look at how many pre-race tests conducted.

Yep and then read the report from te rapa? What about Melody Belle, stinking hot ( $1.30) favourite, craps out with a very lack lustre run. Maybe she's had enough and is looking for the stallion.however if that took place in Oz they'd have the trainer in the room, questions asked about how the horse was training, any medication or injuries leading up to the race etc etc..what do we get from oathum? bugger all apart from obvious replies from Opie..jeeze the stipes here in nz are nillers.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

2 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Bi Carb levels are announced in the RIU for standard breds I see and they do great testing, but not the thoroughbreds...I scratch my head with that.

That's not a case for one justifying the other.  Bicarb's reputedly main benefit, although there is some doubt about its efficacy, is to aid in neutralising and/or preventing lactic acid buildup.  That benefit is supposedly greater in horses racing over distance which Standardbreds do predominantly e.g. when was the last time you saw a harness racing under 1609m?

4 minutes ago, Horace said:

Yep and then read the report from te rapa? What about Melody Belle, stinking hot ( $1.30) favourite, craps out with a very lack lustre run. Maybe she's had enough and is looking for the stallion.however if that took place in Oz they'd have the trainer in the room, questions asked about how the horse was training, any medication or injuries leading up to the race etc etc..what do we get from oathum? bugger all apart from obvious replies from Opie..jeeze the stipes here in nz are nillers.

Did you watch the race or read the Stewards report?  It was clearly evident to anyone who did both that at a critical point in time she was blocked for a run.  Hell if Opie had forced the issue through that closing gap and injured her I'm sure the same critics would be hammering away.  

1 minute ago, Chief Stipe said:

Did you watch the race or read the Stewards report?  It was clearly evident to anyone who did both that at a critical point in time she was blocked for a run.  Hell if Opie had forced the issue through that closing gap and injured her I'm sure the same critics would be hammering away.

Yes I did watch it. You must have been watching a different race. She was battling before that happened. opie made a show of it but come on, she was beaten before the straight.

1 minute ago, Chief Stipe said:

That's not the point though, Horace is spot on, it's called transparency Chief, how much was the tote holding on that mare? the racing police should have gone over that mare with a fine tooth comb and taken all swabs....so the public have faith that it's all fair and above board..Opie was outridden no doubt, twice! but Horace's point is valid..totally.

1 minute ago, Horace said:

Yes I did watch it. You must have been watching a different race. She was battling before that happened. opie made a show of it but come on, she was beaten before the straight.

You're right, if the mares was travelling so well when he had the coveted one one he should have been half carting at the 1000m and pushed the other horse 4 wide and made his run, he wouldn't have been boxed in, she wasn't going that well to do it notwithstanding the poor ride from Bosson.

4 minutes ago, Horace said:

Bollocks.  I suggest you watch the video again.  She was caught a bit flat footed when they sprinted at about the 500m which isn't surprising given they had walked the first 1200m in 1:16!  But she was knocked over twice on the turn.  If you have watched her best wins she likes clear air and to wind up into it.  Go back and look at all the form lines for her wins they all read the same.  Wide at the 600m - 400m and improving.  

She was vet checked after the race and had been pre-race tested.  What more do you want?  A Spanish inquisition?

16 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

You're right, if the mares was travelling so well when he had the coveted one one he should have been half carting at the 1000m and pushed the other horse 4 wide and made his run, he wouldn't have been boxed in, she wasn't going that well to do it notwithstanding the poor ride from Bosson.

FFS Joe.  Watch the race again!

The ran the first 1200m in 1:16!  Ran home in 46.  2:02 for the 2000m isn't a bad gallop on that track.  Fastest 2000m of the day.  

3 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

A slight laceration? You know what would have happened here Chief? ordered to trial to the satisfaction of the stewards and/or trainer requested to follow up and report back, when a 1-30 pop gets beaten that's what happens, it's not a Spanish inquisition it's called transparency. 

BULLSHIT Joe!  Absolute BULLSHIT!  

Tell me how this report from Flemington yesterday is ANY different from what we saw from Te Rapa?

https://www.racing.com/form/2021-02-13/flemington#/stewards-report

Wasn't Bivouac the favourite in the Lightning?

Bivouac Rider Glen Boss reported the horse would derive benefit from today's race. Rider Glen Boss was notified to ensure he rides all his mounts out hands and heels to the end of the race. Stewards were satisfied that Glen Boss's actions did not affect the result of this race. A post‑race veterinary examination failed to reveal any abnormalities.

4 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

FFS Joe.  Watch the race again!

The ran the first 1200m in 1:16!  Ran home in 46.  2:02 for the 2000m isn't a bad gallop on that track.  Fastest 2000m of the day.  

Hang on, what am I watching? Bosson having had the run of the race lets Camino Rocoso go around him and whoa he's snookered, his momentum is not stopped but slowed, then he has to come around that horse heels, meanwhile Vinne Colgan see's what's happening and being the good rider he is puts his horses shoulder into MB when OP tries to push out..she wasn't going well enough to shoulder her way out, then Bosson overdoes it to make it look like he's been hard done by...academy award job that...

17 hours ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Oh ye gods, they pre-race tested today, congratulations! For a while only you have rejoined the 1st world racing fraternity, I hope you find the funds to continue this practice and regain the trust and confidence of the punting, owners and trainers collective.

Just to put some perspective on this.  Joe you bag NZ racing all the time.  But I think there were more horses "Pre-race Tested" at Te Rapa than at Flemington yesterday.

Pre-race blood for post-race analysis:

Race 1 Selica (NZ), Brazen Song

Race 2 Ingratiating, Birdsville, Mt Buller, Gimmie Par

Race 3 Buffalo River (USA), Irish Flame (USA), Regardsmaree

Race 4 Good Idea, Sikorsky, Coolth

Race 5 Zou Dancer, Starelle, A Pinch Of Luck

Race 6 Dadoozdart (GB), Holbien, Polanco, Skyman (GB)

Race 7 Cherry Tortini, Brando (NZ), Aysar, Zac De Boss (NZ)

Race 8 Bivouac, Halvorsen

Race 9 Rich Itch, Ruban Bleu, Zakat, I'm Telling Ya

Pre-race urine for post‑race analysis:

Race 1 Silent Sovereign

Race 2 Treporti, Frost Flowers

Race 3 Widgee Turf, Takumi (IRE)

Race 4 War Critic (NZ)

Race 5 Personal

Race 7 Tagaloa

Post‑race samples from following horses:

All Winners

Race 5 Personal (2nd placegetter)

Race 7 Aysar (2nd placegetter)

Race 8 September Run (2nd placegetter), Swats That (3rd placegetter)