Bit Of A Yarn

If this is true it could seriously damage the foundations of the industry.

Chief Stipe

1 hour ago, Dark Beau said:

Bill Stewart or his father. 

That's the man , Bill Stewart , never had to pay more than a couple of hundy for a seasons vet work , and they always got in foal . Wish a couple hadn't going on results , but it's a lottery , their all champions till they prove otherwise eh .

• Like 1

Just a thought with regards to this embryo debacle , this must only be the tip of the iceberg as at branding & microchipping time sample are taken by the veterinarian to be DNA tested for registration purposes . Forgive my naivety but if embryo transfer was being used on certain mares in order to breed the " Group 1 " champion then surely some DNA must be disturbingly closely related . How big is the can of worms and what damage controls will be implemented by those concerned & industry leaders ? Oh dear .

On 16/02/2021 at 6:41 PM, nomates said:

Also tho , with that advanced technology comes the large vet bills because mares will be scanned day after day until primed to ovulate . Iv'e heard some instances where the vet bills have been more than a 4/5k service fee .

Can't remember his name , but the old vet up Wanganui way stills does manual palpation , well was 6/7 years ago , those bills were great to get . And he didn't often get it wrong .

Very true with regards to the veterinary intervention as per numerous  palpations & whatever else etc . $6500 mainly due to " palpations or flushes from a Zabeel mare ( winning family ) who supposedly conceived twins to a 4k stallion & no foal . Not the only one I've heard about also & some have concerned imported mares . Great way to expand the genetic base .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Integrity said:

Very true with regards to the veterinary intervention as per numerous  palpations & whatever else etc . $6500 mainly due to " palpations or flushes from a Zabeel mare ( winning family ) who supposedly conceived twins to a 4k stallion & no foal . Not the only one I've heard about also & some have concerned imported mares . Great way to expand the genetic base .

Not sure they even bother with physical palpations now , not as i knew them . They just run the scanner over the overies , day after day till their experience tells them the mare is right on ovulation and can be covered , back in next day to ensure the mare has ovulated , if not repeat . If the mare doesn't catch then they will just go by the book as to when she should be back in heat and start the process again . That's where the money starts racking up because i'm sure each scan isn't cheap .

None of this out with the teaser before breakfast to see which mares are in season . In fact there would be very few studs that still keep teasers . 

On 16/02/2021 at 6:41 PM, nomates said:

Also tho , with that advanced technology comes the large vet bills because mares will be scanned day after day until primed to ovulate . Iv'e heard some instances where the vet bills have been more than a 4/5k service fee .

Can't remember his name , but the old vet up Wanganui way stills does manual palpation , well was 6/7 years ago , those bills were great to get . And he didn't often get it wrong .

Dr Bill Stewart by any chance MN?

1 minute ago, jess said:

Dr Bill Stewart by any chance MN?

Apologies - I posted that before I read the whole thread.  My father used to tell us kids - "fools and bairns should never see a job half done".  Clearly I didn't listen.  And sadly I am no longer a bairn.  Only leaves one option I guess .... 😜

• Like 1

On 17/02/2021 at 10:41 AM, Freda said:

Ha.Col would have been saying ' I told you so'  and rubbing his hands with glee..as well as the rorts and kickbacks in sales.as well as the lack of documentation that used to accompany overseas sales.  May have changed now, haven't sold one overseas for a good while.

The practice of 'reinforcing' a service is A.I in any language.but still done.

Anyone who thinks that everyone obeys the rules and plays nice needs their head read.

Spot on Freda.  "doin' it all day, Ref". 

That "reinforcing the service" is AI by any other name.  And those stud masters smugly chalking up 170 odd mares to their expensive horse are dancing on the head of a pin when they describe their practice.     

On 17/02/2021 at 10:41 AM, Freda said:

Ha.Col would have been saying ' I told you so'  and rubbing his hands with glee..as well as the rorts and kickbacks in sales.as well as the lack of documentation that used to accompany overseas sales.  May have changed now, haven't sold one overseas for a good while.

The practice of 'reinforcing' a service is A.I in any language.but still done.

Anyone who thinks that everyone obeys the rules and plays nice needs their head read.

Very good & well respected vet, Bill Stewart.  And I believe his dad before him.  There's some great technology about these days but I admire the likes of these guys who achieved so much with so little (as far as technical aids, I mean).   

Edited by jess
  • Like 1

Poor Buckers.....

Some of these big boys think they're invincible and would do ANYTHING to keep it that way....

This is connected...

Millionaire Ultra Tune founder Sean Buckley has launched Supreme Court action to block the release of an audio recording that captured him threatening to kill a former business associate and allegedly assaulting his then partner.

The sound of Mr Buckley allegedly hitting and choking Jennifer Cole can be heard on the graphic 20-minute recording, in which he accuses her of interfering in a dispute that he says could expose his involvement in potential criminal activity.

A lawyer for Mr Buckley declined to comment about the contents of the tape, other than to say it had been tampered with and his client’s comments had been taken out of context.

The audio file below contains edited excerpts of the recording. And a warning, some readers may find the contents distressing.The lawsuit, filed by Mr Buckley in the Supreme Court of Victoria on Tuesday, seeks an order banning Ms Cole and a former employee Anthony Swords from distributing the tape and forcing them to locate and destroy any copies, including the original.

The documents filed by Mr Buckley do not describe the content of the recording but allege it was made illegally and forms part of an attempted conspiracy to extort him and damage his company’s reputation.

Ultra Tune founder Sean Buckley has sought to prevent the distribution of the recording.

Ultra Tune founder Sean Buckley has sought to prevent the distribution of the recording. The recording, which was made in a suite at Melbourne’s Crown Towers, contains Mr Buckley describing to Ms Cole a plan to hire a hitman to kill former business associate Jimmy “Vegas” Seoud before he could implicate him in criminal activity. There is no further evidence that Mr Buckley implemented the plan. Mr Buckley and Ms Cole had been involved since 2017 and the recording was made shortly before their relationship ended. Mr Seoud – who is widely known as Jimmy Vegas – was a director and licensee of Surfers Paradise strip club Toybox Gentlemen’s Club owned by Mr Buckley, until they fell out dramatically in 2019 and their more than decade-long friendship also ended. Mr Seoud lost an unfair dismissal claim against Mr Buckley.  The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald have chosen to publish excerpts from the recording because of the public interest in revealing allegations of domestic violence, death threats and potential involvement in criminal activity by a well-known and influential business figure.  “I’m now quite distressed about what’s going to be revealed. Jen, I could go to prison. Proceeds of crime – I’ll lose everything,” Mr Buckley can be heard saying in the recording.  “This is so f---ing critical I’ll probably have to hire someone to kill him ... OK, I’ve already made those programs to do it, just in case ... I’m not going to go spend the rest of my life in prison I’d rather f---ing shoot him and kill him.”  Mr Buckley does not discuss the specifics of the alleged conduct he is concerned about.

29 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Keep up.

The latest on the AI/surrogacy is that the foals produced were not registered in the stud book.  Apparently the loop hole is that you can do AI/Surrogacy but not if you wish to register the foals.

What's the point then?

Beach racing?

Not sure on situation now , but when i was younger , mid 70's , i remember plenty of non stud book horses racing , and non stud book mares being bred from . Never seemed an issue . There are horses i used to follow that i can't find any information for now .

I assume all mares have to be stud book registered now , perhaps some one can enlighten me .

18 minutes ago, Freda said:

Pretty sure the loophole to which you refer was tightened up.

Headline news last week about Sean Buckley’s mares Miss Andretti and Strikeline being the subject of a RV investigation into the possible use of surrogate mares in breach of Australian Stud Book regulations.

Buckley can find a headline at the moment but this will be a nothing burger story.

Buckley has said he will fully co-operate with the inquiry and denies any wrong-doing. 

“On the allegations, as best I can understand them from the media, I fail to see what the issue is,” he said.

“The progeny of the two mares born in 2020 were not and were never going to be registered.” 

There were no attempts to register the 2020 foals of either mare into the Stud book, as required to race as a thoroughbred in Australia, but a certificate of paternity is pending for 2021 to Buckley’s Cox Plate winning stallion Shamus Award.

As an aside - finding a 2006 Stud Book history record last week, “there were also many foals by thoroughbreds which were not recorded with the Stud Book and produced generations of horses in the Non-Stud Book Register”. 

A notable case was Redelva, who won 17 stakes races, but a pedigree check found its great dam Damelsa was 'not foal recorded' but succeeding generations were mated to stud book sires, which enable his dam Delvena to be promoted to the Stud Book.

Rivette, the 1933 Caulfield-Melbourne Cup winner could not be accepted as its parents had not been previously recorded.

Aquanita, the winner of 17 races including a Cox Plate and stood as a stallion, could not be accepted because his great-granddam Brilliant Queen had not been returned to the ASB as a foal.