Bit Of A Yarn

Any guesses on what the track will be like at Riccarton 27 March 2021?

Chief Stipe

4 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

FFS shows where our standards have slipped to if the South Islands leading trainer calls that a half decent track.  It was an absolute disgrace for the South Islands premier racecourse.

Where's the plan to fix it?

I've told you how to go some way to fixing it but you refuse to listen.  Get an effing chisel plough onto it to try to get some aeration into the shit hole.   

But as far as you insulting Michael Pitman well I will tell you exactly what I told a few moaners among a syndicate of owners in a horse I had a share in a year or two back - 'he's trained the guts of 2000 winners  - I've trained none.  I am not telling him what to do'.

The difference between you and MRP is you have an opinion and he has a record. When it comes to Riccarton I think I will be listening to him before anyone else.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nomates said:

Maybe he's chipper because he won 4 races , but sorry the overheads around the top bend showed how threadbare it is , no idea what the next meeting will be like , simple not acceptable for a metropolitan club .

Well as he told me he tends to have horses who appreciate decent tracks (Our Rosette being an example).  And they got one today. 

He is entitled to be happy and he bloody deserves to be happy.

I'm not talking through my pocket here I might add - I did have small bets on a couple of his winners but lost money overall for the day.  But I had a share in one(now sacked) which time and again fell victim to ending up bogged in the shit down on the fence at Riccarton and I got sick of that excuse.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Reefton said:

Well as he told me he tends to have horses who appreciate decent tracks (Our Rosette being an example).  And they got one today. 

It was not a decent track!  FFS it barely had grass on it!  Pitty may as well have raced his horses down Riccarton Road.  The crowds would have been bigger and there wouldn't have been any dirt flying!

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

It was not a decent track!  FFS it barely had grass on it!  Pitty may as well have raced his horses down Riccarton Road.  The crowds would have been bigger and there wouldn't have been any dirt flying!

There were you?

They dodged a bullet today.  A shower of rain and it would have been a skating rink.  

What I can't understand is how bad it has got so quickly.  The grass has browned right off and there are numerous bare patches.  It has got worse since close up pictures of the were posted on BOAY.

It would appear that they are in a holding pattern until the AWT is finished.  But then what?  Sell off Rangiora, Motukarara AND Ashburton to fund fixing the turf track?  

14 hours ago, Reefton said:

The difference between you and MRP is you have an opinion and he has a record. When it comes to Riccarton I think I will be listening to him before anyone else.

But he has a record for training race horses NOT a record for maintaining race tracks.  If he is saying that that track yesterday was a decent one then he is lying or he has different standards to the rest of the industry.  You can call that an insult if you wish.  

The problem is far more fundamental than putting the chisel plough through it which you keep banging on about.  "Oh go ask my local dairy farming mates they fixed Omoto and Reefton with the chisel plough!"

14 hours ago, Reefton said:

I've told you how to go some way to fixing it but you refuse to listen.  Get an effing chisel plough onto it to try to get some aeration into the shit hole.   

SO you admit it is a shit hole?  But your only solution is a chisel plough to "get some aeration into the shit hole".

This is your solution:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.png

They will work as long is there is sufficient structure remaining in the soil.  I doubt that the will work at Riccarton because there obviously isn't any left.  If there was the grass wouldn't be dying off as quickly as it is.  The chisel plough is used to break a hard pan (sub soil) at 20cm to 40cm below the surface while minimising the impact on the top layer of soil.  Notice how the tines are thinner at the top than at the bottom?

Yes there may well be a compacted sub-soil issue BUT the main problem lies in the top soil.  A chisel plough will not fix that.