NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Turn the Lights Out Otaki!!!!

Chief Stipe

Frost ready for Australian challenge

• Tue, 26 Jun 2018
  •  
  • NZ Racing Desk
Successful trainer Rachael Frost has relocated to Victoria.

Successful trainer Rachael Frost has relocated to Victoria.

Rachael Frost is looking forward to the next stage of her career across the Tasman.

Frost has made a permanent move to Victoria, having trained at Otaki since 2001 - sending out 66 winners with four at black-type level.

“I’ve been staying with Lisa Enright here at Mornington, and I’ve now rented a place just down the road,” Frost said.  

“I can have 10 horses there, I don’t want a heap of horses to train. I’d like to do some pre-training as well if I can.”

Frost said she had been mulling over a move to Australia for some time.

“I’m really looking forward to it, I’ve got some nice horses that can run for good money and there’s so many options for them here.”

Her flagship performer this season has been Travimyfriend, who won a Rating 85 event in the spring before placings in the Gr. 1 Haunui Farm Classic, the Gr. 2 Japan/New Zealand Trophy, the Gr. 3 Anniversary and the Gr. 3 Taranaki Cup.

“He’s had six weeks off and came back into work earlier this month so we’ll get him over here,” Frost said.

Redefine has already made the trip to Australia and Euphoria will also shortly relocate there.

The former, a son of Captain Rio bred and owned by Frost, has won seven of his 18 starts and was unbeaten in his last three New Zealand starts. He will be the first Victorian starter of the new venture.

“I’ll probably put him in at Caulfield on the weekend or wait for a race at Sandown on Wednesday week,” she said. “At this stage, I’m more tempted to go to Sandown. It’s a lesser race and a chance to get some money behind him. 

“He looks great, but he’s not been eating as much as he should. He’s more confined here, he’s used to his paddock, but he’ll be alright.”

Rip Van Winkle mare Euphoria has won five of her 15 starts and has already been successful in Australia, having won first-up at Ipswich last year before a virus halted her Queensland campaign.

•  

8 minutes ago, Poisoned Dwarf said:

G S Walton, C A Bowry, W McEwan, S Burgess, S Bryce, A E Skinner, K J Thomson and H Hakaraia are turning in their tombs

Showing your age?  I don't remember any of those.  We should list the recent departures.  Not to mention the money that was "invested" to make it a more attractive "training center"!

11 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Showing your age?  I don't remember any of those.  We should list the recent departures.  Not to mention the money that was "invested" to make it a more attractive "training center"!

Shame on you Chief, Wally McEwan trained Fury's Order , one of the best racehorses to ever come out of the CD

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Poisoned Dwarf said:

a 2 year old by MONITOR called MONRANA ridden by Peter Meynell at Awapuni on Feb 26 1972 won by 5 lengths and paid a win dividend of $348.95

One of the few ever trained by Guy Blenkhorn at Otaki

Was that the Rangitikei meeting Beatnik ran first or second in the Rangitikei Cup?

Important aspect of Otaki was its use as a staging post for horses racing at Trentham or travelling to the South Island. Horses from up north or Taranaki. The racecourse accommodation house was probably the biggest around. I remember one time staying and a highweight rider arrive 3.00am totally blotto. A few hours later a trainer had to drag him off the bed to wake him up. 11.0am that morning won the highweight i.e race one at Trentham.

2 hours ago, Poisoned Dwarf said:

Wally had departed Otaki when Fury's Order was happening.

Wow, you are never too old to learn, I never knew Wally was at Otaki, I started at Hawera in 68 and he was entrenched then.....I finished in Otaki in 72......what a year that was, Jim Didham and Ken Thomson were the leading trainers as Mick Preston's team was down to about 20.....Alby Skinner was going great guns as John had begun riding I think, he played them easy until weight got him.....Black Rod and Topsy were unreal, Clem had a wonderful jock riding for him, but hells bells I can't remember his name....he rode jumps, highlights and WFA.....God he was a great rider, very laid back and charismatic, Ray Brown I think it may have been......David Reed had a stint at Otaki too, he was just out of his time, and then the stipes started gunning for him, that's when he lost it...memories, some good, some not so good,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Poisoned Dwarf said:

a 2 year old by MONITOR called MONRANA ridden by Peter Meynell at Awapuni on Feb 26 1972 won by 5 lengths and paid a win dividend of $348.95

One of the few ever trained by Guy Blenkhorn at Otaki

Guy was threatened by a posse one morning, he tied his horse up reverse order in the tie ups, except he used the conventional chains.......the horses bum was out in the 'lane'.....it double barrelled a couple of times and then the posse formed......I hate to say it, but guy was a sandwich short of a picnic, a kangaroo loose in the top paddock......it was laugh a minute.....

47 minutes ago, Rowley Mile said:

, Clem had a wonderful jock riding for him, but hells bells I can't remember his name....he rode jumps, highlights and WFA.....God he was a great rider, very laid back and charismatic, Ray Brown I think it may have been....

Ray Brown it was - and about this time there was also an ex Otago jockey riding out of Otaki - Paul Silver.

Rowley are you missing the 5* days we have here yet? ?

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

20 hours ago, Rowley Mile said:

Wow, you are never too old to learn, I never knew Wally was at Otaki, I started at Hawera in 68 and he was entrenched then.....I finished in Otaki in 72......what a year that was, Jim Didham and Ken Thomson were the leading trainers as Mick Preston's team was down to about 20.....Alby Skinner was going great guns as John had begun riding I think, he played them easy until weight got him.....Black Rod and Topsy were unreal, Clem had a wonderful jock riding for him, but hells bells I can't remember his name....he rode jumps, highlights and WFA.....God he was a great rider, very laid back and charismatic, Ray Brown I think it may have been......David Reed had a stint at Otaki too, he was just out of his time, and then the stipes started gunning for him, that's when he lost it...memories, some good, some not so good,

So you'd remember Allan Reuben, Laurie Helmling Rod Walsh, Robert Lammas, Robert Walsh, Stewart Munro, Kevin Bull, " Hustler " and Bill Paul ?

4 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

I remember Fury's Order.  An earlier Bonecrusher!  Won the Cox Plate with a pretty decent jockey on board!  Brent Thomson.  An apprentice at that!

Image result for fury's order 1975 cox plate

Fury's Order was among the first horses who fired my imagination and got me hooked on racing...Triton was another..both CD horses and great lookers! Have always wanted to own a chestnut with a long white blaze and four white socks!

1 hour ago, Poisoned Dwarf said:

So you'd remember Allan Reuben, Laurie Helmling Rod Walsh, Robert Lammas, Robert Walsh, Stewart Munro, Kevin Bull, " Hustler " and Bill Paul ?

Oh Yeah....Rubes was a mate of Dids and his pool partner at the Jube, you remember the Jube? now that was a pub......Laurie Helmling was a class above me at Mana College, and I missed him by a year at Otaki, he was driving horse floats over here in Oz for a while while I was training at Flemington......Rob Lammas......ha, he broke his neck one day at Otaki I think, in the 2nd race a hurdle, he was sitting next to me in the jocks room complaining of the neck pain, I told him to see the doc, nah he said, I'll see him after the Steeple, .....he won the bloody steeple, Gun I think it was, might be wrong, and then he see's the doc.....a plaster cast from head to navel for 3 months.......priceless......only Charlie Gestro was tougher, he was special that fella. Stew Munroe was great, apprenticed to Mick Preston I think, he had a brother, do you remember his name per chance? we got into some shit one night, ......these fellas I remember well, can't recall the others....sorry!

1 hour ago, von Smallhaussen said:

Ray Brown it was - and about this time there was also an ex Otago jockey riding out of Otaki - Paul Silver.

Rowley are you missing the 5* days we have here yet? ?

Thanks Von, can't recall Paul, I only lasted 12 months there, last ride was at Wanganui, horse had 8-7 I rode 8-12......and lost 10 pounds in a week to do that, turning for home I saw a bottle of Leed Lemonade instead of the winning post, peed a bottle of blood from the piss pills, called it stumps and David Reed showed me a night out in Wellington, pissed and fat......nothings changed!.......Do I miss the 5* days? brutally honest...= nah.

• Haha 1