Bit Of A Yarn

Trackside hosts talking shit!

On a positive note, loved the way he kept talking about the Jewels. It made me smile everytime he would say the word Jewels and it was a lot. Also the lady host too. Lots of early promotion for Jewels. So they should really be aiming to have the highest turnover ever for a Jewels day. No excuses really, its a good test for it. 

Wonder what the Jewels highest turnover is beat ... ??

fox tv GIF by Last Man Standing

Edited by Karrots
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

9 stoushes over 1609.34 metres 😍

how many sleeps karrots ?

Hey Ranga, not sure yet, tell you closer to time. BUT was thinking for those that are against Jewels day, saying it costs too much, was thinking if it doesn't get a high turnover, like HIGH with all this promotion, then perhaps that view can be justified. As said good test for it, with a lot of early promotion from HRNZ, TAB & BOAY. And Cambridge Raceway themselves heard ad on radio. 

Do you know the highest turnover ever recorded for a Jewels Day?

Edited by Karrots

The whale has been the leading harness punter right back before trackside and still probably is the top, he went to trials with his binoculars and made a living out of it and yes he is restricted aswell even though he works for the tab.

If you want a 50 to 1 longshot I am sorry that he has not obliged,

What he has done is analysed the form and giving you 3 horses that you can base your multiples around along with the information WHY!

Do you want the whale to put your bets on for you?  Is he wrong??

Ignore him then, he will still be the leading harness punter in NZ

and you will be still losing overall!

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

i haven't the foggiest

Ok. Hmm someone must know on here?  Needs to be a clear goal. 

Was thinking and not expert in this - and don't really want to get into debate too much, BUT as its come up, if say aiming for a target turnover that you want to get right, well get over, and so doing promotion multiple arms in industry are & clubs spending money on marketing, then knowing that some people will just bet off shore. So you lose that turnover from them, then also those that are restricted too. So lose that too. So before you have started re turnover you have already lost a percent. Wonder what percent that is ... Like how much percentage would it be? And how much is it costing in turnover?

Yes Whale gave a place value tip last nite, Temporale which placed, & also Steel the Show for a place which ran 4th which he also mentioned as being a top 4 chance with the new betting top 4 options 👍

Edited by Karrots

27 minutes ago, Karrots said:

Was thinking and not expert in this - and don't really want to get into debate too much, BUT as its come up, if say aiming for a target turnover that you want to get right, well get over, and so doing promotion multiple arms in industry are & clubs spending money on marketing, then knowing that some people will just bet off shore. So you lose that turnover from them, then also those that are restricted too. So lose that too. So before you have started re turnover you have already lost a percent. Wonder what percent that is ... Like how much percentage would it be? And how much is it costing in turnover?

Yes Whale gave a place value tip last nite, Temporale which placed, & also Steel the Show for a place which ran 4th which he also mentioned as being a top 4 chance with the new betting top 4 options 👍

lets hope someone can

but i am wondering how you will assess the recent figures given the meaning of todays turnover figures will differ from 1991

what will you extrapolate and how ?

from memory in 1991 it was a couple of numbers, total and oncourse, so it was easy peasy lemon squeezy

Edited by Rangatira

7 minutes ago, Karrots said:

Karrots I cant understand why people bag him so much?, there used to be a publication called the trot guide which was published by ex-bookmaker and bloodstock agent and original vip tipster for the jewels Stu bailey who also worked for the Friday Flash at some point.

The whales whispers were invaluable and his selection for the treble cause there was only one then usually r4,5,6  for $2 or $3 (no%) back then, $750.00    $425.00 multiples between  100 and 200

He is that good! I hear people bag him in the pub TABS all the time. He doesnt know shit , he only tips out favourites e,t,c   Back against him then!  He is a form analyzer!  If a $1.40 shot wins it has nothing to do with him , take them and banker them in quaddies trebles and p6.

I admire him and he is a great guy to boot,  let the mockers of the $1.40 shots mock! 

Northern harness drivers used to ring the whale harness hotline to get a breakdown of their particular race.

Take his anchors Karrots and take a 5%  quaddie or p6, he tipped out a jewels p6 , I got it aswell but it made some paper cause he tipped it out to a first time jewels goer in various combos and he got $11000.

If you see him on the day Karrots say hello and just before you run to the tote (ring me!!) (please!)

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

lets hope someone can

but i am wondering how you will assess the recent figures given the meaning of todays turnover figures will differ from 1991

what will you extrapolate and how ?

from memory in 1991 it was a couple of numbers, total and oncourse, so it was easy peasy lemon squeezy

Yes Ranga lets wait & see if someone can.

There has to be surely.

Eg they have the NZ record times and continuously update those whenever someone beats the latest record.

Not interested in excuses e.g. they run faster now due to faster tracks, technology. The latest highest record is the latest highest record.

Simply looking for the highest turnover ever for the Jewels.

10 minutes ago, whiplash smile said:

He is that good! I hear people bag him in the pub TABS all the time. 

he tipped out a jewels p6 , I got it aswell but it made some paper cause he tipped it out to a first time jewels goer in various combos and he got $11000.

If you see him on the day Karrots say hello and just before you run to the tote (ring me!!) (please!)

Yeah, I notice he gets a bit of grief too Whippy & thought wonder why, he seems alright to me. Don't know much history tho. Wow got the WINNER of EVERY JEWELS RACE. That is something & better still you got it too! 😄

• Like 1

Just now, Rangatira said:

yes he is very approachable and engaging

Iv seen him just once & had to ask him to move out of the way, as he was in way, & he was most obliging, 'excuse me please passing thru" 😄

Anyways Im heading out to enjoy the sunny day. 

Chat later all 😄

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Karrots said:

Yes Ranga lets wait & see if someone can.

There has to be surely.

Eg they have the NZ record times and continuously update those whenever someone beats the latest record.

Not interested in excuses e.g. they run faster now due to faster tracks, technology. The latest highest record is the latest highest record.

Simply looking for the highest turnover ever for the Jewels.

Yeah, I notice he gets a bit of grief too Whippy & thought wonder why, he seems alright to me. Don't know much history tho. Wow got the WINNER of EVERY JEWELS RACE. That is something & better still you got it too! 😄

no it was p6 and that wasnt 11000, he was asked by someone who was a first time jewels goer and he advised him on multiples not just one bet, I didnt actually get the tips of him , it was a john green horse Shiva that paid 9 or 11 bucks all the rest were favoured runners I think shiva 3rd or 4th fav but with the guaranteed P6 s in those days were awesome! now look at it! 

I have seen on a few occasions the Quaddie pay more than the P6, a pathetic terminating p6 doesnt interest me or others it would seem

Enjoy your day Karrots ,

• Like 1

Back briefly look Ranga what I found 😁

https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/articles/nz-jewels-top-turnover-a-welcome-result/

2019 - The combined on and off-course domestic turnover was $2,547,222, of which $974,816 was fixed odds.

That is already the third highest amount ever invested domestically on a Harness Jewels meeting and with the Australian turnover expected to come in at around $750,000 the meeting should have Australasia-wide turnover close to $3.5 million, without counting money bet with corporate bookmakers.

That will mean the meeting has the second highest Australasian turnover in the Jewels’ 13-year history with the only higher one coming when the Queensland Oaks meeting at Eagle Farm and several other Australian fixtures were abandoned in 2016, creating record figures for the Cambridge-run Jewels that season.

(Don’t get why they are counting the Oz turnover. But ok, no problem. Will they still count it with no  Aussie runners … Anyway so the figure including Oz is what they are counting. Like an all up Australsian total. So then that voids what I said about punters punting off-shore re Oz).

So as per the article Camb holds the top as it is in 2016.

And I found this on 2016 figures as below

http://www.harnesslink.com/News/Turnover-boost-plea

Harness Racing bosses are hoping an Australian betting bonanza on the Jewels helps increase premium coverage of the industry there.

Betting with the Australian TABs on the Jewels at Cambridge on June 4 was up over A$1million on last season, jumping from A$663,013 to a stunning A$1,696,1467. That saw it even outperform the Ellerslie and Wanganui thoroughbred meetings run at the same time, a result Australian harness racing bosses wouldn’t dare dream of in their country. The skyrocketing turnover was enormously boosted by the Queensland Oaks meeting at Eagle Farm as well as other Australian gallops meetings being abandoned because of torrential rain, meaning the entire Jewels meeting moved to the premium Australian racing coverage channel, Sky1.

So it must be around NZD4-4.5 million …  ish … ??

So if we put it at NZD5 million that would be the 2021 target 😁

Edited by Karrots
  • Sad 1

Ok back & changed mind it needs to be higher as NZ Cup day as per this article was 2020 11.3 million. So it needs to be at least 1/2 that. So lets shoot for 5.65 million. Think that is more fair & reasonable figure I think. Especially including Oz figures.

http://www.harnesslink.com/News/Cup-day-delivers-record-betting

Thought of some ideas for Camb, target Waikato University, to get those general admin GA ticket sales up & also the after party to them as an option.

Also they could create a video, one that is uploaded to a You Tube channel e.g. HRNZ, that sole video link only needs to be promoted. Needs as many shares as poss. I once promoted a video for a company I worked for in the States, never had done it before & have never done it again. Just got annoyed as there were not enough views after a week & I had sold the concept of the video script to this USA company I was working for to focus on Australsia and have a kiwi in it, so I was like look Ill take over the promotion for it. 

Video a well known person in it a Kiwi, it was a funny video, so people that were fans of this person started sharing the video. How? I researched & just started contacting these fan pages on Facebook with big followings e.g. 50k-100k followers, telling them about the video & then gave them $50 company $ to share. Think they were just young people running the page so they loved this extra revenue. Then they started to contact other pages with mass followers on my behalf & every other page that shared that original Facebook page also got another $50. Easy peasy when you have the goods to work with. It helped the person was also known in Oz. So once an Aussie celeb saw it & picked it up and shared it it took off more.

My goal was 100k views. It took 2 weeks to get the 100k views goal. The thing was people were sharing it as they didn’t view it as an TV ad, but a funny video of this person. Was good cheap exposure for the product. And goal accomplished.

Adding a funny element to a Jewels video might be a bit harder … nevertheless, sticking to just 1 video that is promoted and shared online by ALL. But it has to be a REALLY GOOD ONE that people WANT to share.

OMG imagine if you had that USA actor what was he on, umm oh yes lead in Snowdon movie, saying he has been invited and going to the Cambridge 2021 Jewels & a short video of him saying that! BOOM. 100k views no problem. Waiting for the Ludwig down vote special now. WTF is wrong with you LUDWIG. Please stop reading my posts. Chief how do I block Ludwig the negativity person from reading & making bad or sad posts on my positive posts!? I do not want him to be able to read my posts. Whippy might need another of your special posts. I remember you said 2 words to Ludwig, the 1st started with F and the 2nd started with U.

Edited by Karrots

13 minutes ago, Gospel of Judas said:

Think have be a fool trust anything on Trackside! between shit knowledge and presenters working for own tiplines. Cause most likely trying influence price up for own benefit.

Well Gospel as Whippy said don't listen to it. You are YOUR OWN PERSON. And you are part of the team of 2, me and you, in organising this Jewels day special BOAY comp. And thank you again for showing interest. Really. Thank you.  Please don't let politics get in the way of our common interest here. 

Im not sure how trying to influence price for own benefit re Whale, BUT I am all ears, as I am still learning 😄

2 minutes ago, Karrots said:

Well Gospel as Whippy said don't listen to it. You are YOUR OWN PERSON. And you are part of the team of 2, me and you, in organising this Jewels day special BOAY comp. And thank you again for showing interest. Really. Thank you.  Please don't let politics get in the way of our common interest here. 

Im not sure how trying to influence price for own benefit re Whale, BUT I am all ears, as I am still learning 😄

Depends of course, but if there is something they like. Can push others in and one like out, better price, more people rush in on service and make more money. But not really Whale be the main one, Des Coppins presenting was yea, not great look...

12 minutes ago, Gospel of Judas said:

Depends of course, but if there is something they like. Can push others in and one like out, better price, more people rush in on service and make more money. But not really Whale be the main one, Des Coppins presenting was yea, not great look...

Ok I get your drift but watch out for Chief, he will be patrolling nearby and in here like flash. Guess he has to, with certain allegations need evidence, but I do get your drift.

But it seems not Whale whom the topic is about.

Thank you again for your positivity re Jewels and joining in. You will be the count person on the day.

Ill be thinking of more promotions for the day to help them, might even present a super cool video for THEM to PROMOTE but depends on a few things hehe.