Bit Of A Yarn

Whats Doing? $25k Winter Cup and 5 starters??.

Brodie

What on earth is happening with harness when the Winter Cup for 25k only has 5 starters?

You must be kidding if you think all is well with harness, when the mecca of harness can only get 5 horses to line up?

The racing is not that exciting anyway with horses paying under $2 to win and just not worth the effort!
Surely this must be a loss for racing and the tote pools are poor for premier meeting compared to previous years

Punters are getting the stitch!

Bring on Rangiora where at least you get more of an opportunity!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Brodie said:

What on earth is happening with harness when the Winter Cup for 25k only has 5 starters?

You must be kidding if you think all is well with harness, when the mecca of harness can only get 5 horses to line up?

The racing is not that exciting anyway with horses paying under $2 to win and just not worth the effort!
Surely this must be a loss for racing and the tote pools are poor for premier meeting compared to previous years

Punters are getting the stitch!

Bring on Rangiora where at least you get more of an opportunity!

I think we have discussed these issues before but I see mr flash was looking forward to a great nights racing,it's not great for betting as a rule and a lot of it is on a par with watching one tennis player.

Harness racing has issues.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fake News! 1

That race at Auckland just run with those 2 top horses had a tote pool according to the website of 5500 which compares to the race run at Riverton last Thursday which had 5 starters and was for amateur riders and Auckland are racing at prime time, interesting.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

That race at Auckland just run with those 2 top horses had a tote pool according to the website of 5500 which compares to the race run at Riverton last Thursday which had 5 starters and was for amateur riders and Auckland are racing at prime time, interesting.

Lol, I was about to comment as well about the tote pools at both Addington and Auckland Mikey!

I just can not fathom how they can continue to state that turnover is improving, and they are happy with the way things are going??!!!

The big trot that has just been run at Auckland had a stake of $17,500!!!

The tote turnover for win and place was less than half of the stake money at about $8k combined!

Yes there is the other pools but they werent much either!

So how on earth can the clubs be able to offer the stakes at the current levels when they are surely losing money on most if not all of the harness races being run??

You can not convince Brodie that there is more money being invested than what there used to be!

Punters are being restricted if you didnt already know!

Addington turnover is not as high as stake money either but Someone will come on and with their wisdom advise us all how the TAB can be making money on the current racing compared to stake money!

Edited by Brodie

10 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Lol, I was about to comment as well about the tote pools at both Addington and Auckland Mikey!

I just can not fathom how they can continue to state that turnover is improving, and they are happy with the way things are going??!!!

The big trot that has just been run at Auckland had a stake of $17,500!!!

The tote turnover for win and place was less than half of the stake money at about $8k combined!

Yes there is the other pools but they werent much either!

So how on earth can the clubs be able to offer the stakes at the current levels when they are surely losing money on most if not all of the harness races being run??

You can not convince Brodie that there is more money being invested than what there used to be!

Punters are being restricted if you didnt already know!

Addington turnover is not as high as stake money either but Someone will come on and with their wisdom advise us all how the TAB can be making money on the current racing compared to stake money!

As I said before,fixed odds is considerably greater when so many hot favourites are running so it's likely that the TAB are not making actual profit, if the big punters were only betting on the tote then those winners might not even return a dividend.

As for the stakes to turnover,Westport did 1.8 or1.9 mill on Boxing Day but only pay modest stakes, clubs like Westport must be subsidising clubs like Auckland,they must be on a different payout or something.

Dont ever get me wrong,some of those horses racing and winning are top shelf  but a lot of the races are becoming predictable as the All Blacks playing Tonga and Fiji, you kind of know what's going to happen before it's started.

Edited by mikeynz
  • Like 2

It must be Sports Betting that is making the profit for the NZ TAB!

Hard to believe that it is  possible for them to be covering costs as the take out  wouldnt be anywhere near enough!!

It isclearly Sports and Overseas racing that is subsidising!

What I suggest is that they change their business plan and encourage wagering rather than trying to kill it!