NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

TAB to announce 5th July that they are broke!?

Boxie

The word on the street is that the TAB (NZRB) is in dire financial trouble.  $30+ million spent on the new betting platform, more to be sunk in and unlikely to be running before the end of October.  Plus the reserves have gone having been spent on the increased stakes promise with no increase in revenue.

Anyone else heard these rumours?

The Government will probably have to bail them out or underwrite any further lending.

• Like 1

If this is about the Facebook live date I'm pretty sure this is them going live at a domestic basketball game.

Amazing that Facebook live has now been well and truly picked up by media across the world and our RACING board uses it showcase domestic basketball.

Not live on course on a big Gr1 day to maybe talk to jockeys and trainers. No that's all behind a $80/month paywall on Sky they will say - why would we want to engage younger people anyway when we have all this great sports content they can sink their teeth into.

This is the New Zealand Sports betting board after all. To the credit of long term Sports people like Glenda Hughes (just check what other directorships she has) the cunning and political manoeuvre to make this happen isn't anything short of genius, helped in large part by the fact the New Zealand racing industry lacks any real political nous to stand up and defend it's own court (basketball reference). After all Racing is just another 'sport' in their eyes, why should it get preferential treatment in any of this.

However maybe at the 11th hour we will save our own skins and the DIA sports takeover that John Allen, Hughes and the National Party slipped into the Race Fields legislation will be stopped by Messara and the govt.

I wonder how many racing folk realise just how close we came to this..

Save our own skins..?   ya think?  and how many naysayers campaigned against the racefields legislation?

It will be entirely due to Messara and Peters [ much as it irks me to say so ]  IF anything changes...and that is a bloody big if...

27 minutes ago, Freda said:

Save our own skins..?   ya think?  and how many naysayers campaigned against the racefields legislation?

It will be entirely due to Messara and Peters [ much as it irks me to say so ]  IF anything changes...and that is a bloody big if...

Do you support the racefields legislation Freda?

1 hour ago, Horseboy said:

If this is about the Facebook live date I'm pretty sure this is them going live at a domestic basketball game.

Amazing that Facebook live has now been well and truly picked up by media across the world and our RACING board uses it showcase domestic basketball.

Not live on course on a big Gr1 day to maybe talk to jockeys and trainers. No that's all behind a $80/month paywall on Sky they will say - why would we want to engage younger people anyway when we have all this great sports content they can sink their teeth into.

This is the New Zealand Sports betting board after all. To the credit of long term Sports people like Glenda Hughes (just check what other directorships she has) the cunning and political manoeuvre to make this happen isn't anything short of genius, helped in large part by the fact the New Zealand racing industry lacks any real political nous to stand up and defend it's own court (basketball reference). After all Racing is just another 'sport' in their eyes, why should it get preferential treatment in any of this.

However maybe at the 11th hour we will save our own skins and the DIA sports takeover that John Allen, Hughes and the National Party slipped into the Race Fields legislation will be stopped by Messara and the govt.

I wonder how many racing folk realise just how close we came to this..

Facebook Live?

Mmmmm not a game changer.  Do they truly understand the Facebook demographic?  Or even the Facebook business model?

5 hours ago, Boxie said:

The word on the street is that the TAB (NZRB) is in dire financial trouble.  $30+ million spent on the new betting platform, more to be sunk in and unlikely to be running before the end of October.  Plus the reserves have gone having been spent on the increased stakes promise with no increase in revenue.

Anyone else heard these rumours?

The Government will probably have to bail them out or underwrite any further lending.

I doubt they would admit they are broke but technically that is probably correct.

What I can't understand how anybody in racing could condone the big spend on the so called FOB platform. There just was no logic, business acumen or anything remotely positive in the decision to join (in some obscure way) with Paddy Power, Open bet or the other dubious game developers. If anybody wanted to drive racing to the ground then thats what they would do. Interestingly on racecafe there were racing stalwarts such as poundforpound who actually thought doing the FOB platform better than doing nothing.

I had to point out the makeup of the Racing Board and the maneuverings to hijack it by sports members which Brian de Lore has written in his latest article. There are many who may have been successful in their own business or profession assume  that it gives them a god given right to drive the racing industry. In general they haven't got a single original thought and rather than be shown up locally gravitate to overseas outfits like Paddy Power for advice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Do you support the racefields legislation Freda?

In part,  yes -  I certainly agree in principle with receiving payment for product use and info..but don't see that that will generate very much at all.

Not as much as the figures bandied about anyway.   And the cost of implementation may make the whole thing a bit of a non-event.

It's a bigger cock up than Dunkirk Chief, it works here in Oz, but most don't give a continental about NZ racing, you try to visit TAB.CO.NZ from here and you are blocked, the whole thing is a joke and people should be accountable ........there are more than a few having a laugh, took the gig cos they knew they needn't be accountable. It Will all end in tears and the reserves are gone, finished, bananas.........broke resonate with anyone......the figures bandied about were laughable, still are, just like the strategic plan Purcell mooted back in 2011.

Yes I agree Racefields is a crock of dung.  

Does anyone know where the NZRB is getting the money from now for the new betting platform AND the promised stakes increases?

I suspect they will ask the Taxpayer for a handout on the basis Racefields Legislation has been held up.

19 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Yes I agree Racefields is a crock of dung.  

Does anyone know where the NZRB is getting the money from now for the new betting platform AND the promised stakes increases?

I suspect they will ask the Taxpayer for a handout on the basis Racefields Legislation has been held up.

No idea....scary,  eh.

50 minutes ago, Turny said:

6.45pm trackside radio and probably trackside TV - clever money is free to air to be reinstated

Yes good chance however legally Winston Peters can appoint a new racing Board chairman which would give the new chairman opportunity to work with Messara before the final release of the report. After all the current chairperson is a National Party hack.

• Like 2