Bit Of A Yarn

Should inject a bit more into the Harness pools next few weeks hopefully

Nowornever

I hope all of the recent "ute tax" protestors on their tractors, with their working dogs running around them, had read the GRNZ mandate & kept themselves on their home islands. I'd hate to find out one or more of the southerners had decided to stage their protest in Foxton or Palmerston North.

image.png.cb77e21369813e08df0512fb3d9d5825.png

17 hours ago, Yankiwi said:

My opinion on the above advise from GRNZ for what its worth.

It is impractical, it is wrong, and it causes more harm than good. They have a narrow shortsighted view on viru's in the real world. Virus's have been about since God created the heavens and earth, and in all that time man and beast has learn't to live with them. Adopting this approach of trying to defeat virus's by not allowing the recipient, man or beast to become infected from them weakens the biological natural immune system that is inherent in all mammals. Now having said that, I wouldn't adopt this approach with a killer such as the black plague, but for everyday virus's such as common colds, kennel cough, and yes the China virus, my way of dealing with it is, let them run their course and get herd immunity as quickly as possible. By doing this the natural immune system is strengthened and copes much better when the net one comes along.

So this brings me to the impractical advise above no doubt gleaned from Google on best practice, and backed up by Vets that have probably never lived in a real world, never worked on farms and in the field. I say this because I do not know of any Greyhound trainers that have their own inbuilt quarantine centres on their 500 acre farms. The ones I know in the real world have one or two kennel blocks where the animals live side by side. So isolating an infected animal that is displaying kennel cough symptoms is not only stupid, it is about 1 week too late, as all the shedding has been done in the preceding week before the dog displayed the symptoms. You can spend a fortune on deep cleaning and it will not matter one jot as to the spread that will take place. So in summary, following the feel good advise given out by an inept NGRA that wouldn't no shit from clay let alone dealing with good old kennel cough, my approach and the way I dealt with it for 30 odd years was simple and effective.

Each yr especially in winter a doggie kennel cough does the rounds, nothing unusual in this, thats what comes with winter, and sometimes even in summer, just as bugs and virus's do the rounds in the human world, so it does in doggie world. My approach to this as a breeder and trainer was as soon as I had an infected dog on the property was to expose it as quickly as possible to all the other dogs young and old, and if i had a litter of pups on the ground to them as well, although I wouldn't include pups still suckling on a dam. By doing it this way you at least kept up with the virus rather than always playing catchup. The beauty of this method was, your animals got the natural immunity for next yrs virus that is surely coming. It saves money and labour, and the passing of the virus is much quicker and does not linger keeping your dogs from the racetrack. Natural immunity is far superior to vaccines, so having got it and recovered, your race dogs come back stronger.

Be warned though and do not make the mistake that I made. I had a very promising young dog that had kennel cough, and hts were coming up for a once in a lifetime race, I got greedy and thought I could get him through the ht and by the time of final he would be ok. I ruined him, and he was never the same. Always regretted it.

• Like 3

No racing in the south island, therefore headquarters & feds have only 1/2 the work to do.

Surely with all the extra time on their hands headquarters will have ample opportunity to sort the mess they call the Amazing Chase for next year. Maybe they could actually take the time to define a few things in the GRNZ rules as well. I'd suggest they start with the word "race", especially at what point a "race" is completed.

As for the feds, maybe they should use the extra time and visit every trainers property to take swabs from the lure arm in the bull rings. I'm picking they might be quite surprised (not anyone with half a brain however) on what type of biological matter they find there. Poodle, hare, possum & guinee pig would be the first cross checks I'd be doing from evidence I've seen & heard about on BOAY alone.

17 minutes ago, Yankiwi said:

As for the feds, maybe they should use the extra time and visit every trainers property to take swabs from the lure arm in the bull rings. I'm picking they might be quite surprised (not anyone with half a brain however) on what type of biological matter they find there. Poodle, hare, possum & guinee pig would be the first cross checks I'd be doing from evidence I've seen & heard about on BOAY alone.

Wouldn't they be better to focus on promoting Greyhound racing, improving wagering revenue, increasing stakes, fix tracks and thereby making it worthwhile to be professionally involved in the sport?  Or are you happy that it devolves further into an amateur sport akin to pigeon racing?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Wouldn't they be better to focus on promoting Greyhound racing, improving wagering revenue, increasing stakes, fix tracks and thereby making it worthwhile to be professionally involved in the sport?  Or are you happy that it devolves further into an amateur sport akin to pigeon racing?

The Feds (since that's the paragraph you've chosen to quote me on) don't promote Greyhound racing, improve wagering revenue, increasing stakes or fix tracks. So no, I'd prefer if they stuck to enforcing the GRNZ rules, the job they are tasked with doing. Since they now obviously have some down time, they should get on with the sorts of tasks that they have claimed previously they don't have the time or resource to do.

5 minutes ago, Yankiwi said:

The Feds (since that's the paragraph you've chosen to quote me on) don't promote Greyhound racing, improve wagering revenue, increasing stakes or fix tracks. So no, I'd prefer if they stuck to enforcing the GRNZ rules, the job they are tasked with doing. Since they now obviously have some down time, they should get on with the sorts of tasks that they have claimed previously they don't have the time or resource to do.

So you'd have them looking for DNA?

Perhaps a more positive proactive approach would be to spend their extra time visiting kennels to assist with getting good treatment systems and protocols in place.

I know they do that for Thoroughbred stables when asked.