NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

KIWI Sunday Theatre Sunday JULY 8

hesi

w28-kiwi.png.2018-07-06T08:39:36+12:00.jpg?width=480&height=270

Kiwi with Ewan Lupton (played by Nick Blake)

Sunday Theatre: Kiwi 
Sunday 8 July, 8.30pm on TVNZ 1

The remarkable story of Kiwi the horse, who ran from last place to first, to win the 1983 Melbourne Cup. 

Kiwi's journey is the stuff of legend. 

This Sunday Theatre special tells the tale of how that win came about, and what it meant to so many people.

Edited by hesi
  • Like 2

• hesi featured and pinned this topic

Ditto

Some great camera work, first time up to speed on the beach

Now that would have to be the greatest story in the history of racing in NZ, why did it take them 35 years to tell.

The sort of story that portrays racing in such a great light

• Like 1

• hesi unfeatured and unpinned this topic
11 hours ago, JackM said:

I think Jimmy overplayed it  with the woman .... I don`t think he could reach the handle bars!

Jimmy gets laid!!

i thought it was very average. Last bit of kiwi winning mel cup, they should have showed more of actual race, rather than the false looking shot of a few horses going halve pace. 

47 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Jimmy gets laid!!

i thought it was very average. Last bit of kiwi winning mel cup, they should have showed more of actual race, rather than the false looking shot of a few horses going halve pace. 

Even Hollywood struggled with trying to recreate race footage.  The race scenes in Seabiscuit and Secretariat looked fake, in the end they just showed Secretariat's 31 length rout in the Belmont

On 8/07/2018 at 11:54 PM, Weasel said:

saw the TV tonite

loved the show.... not overly  or 'over the top' ,authentic recreation of the era..., well acted...hit the right notes

and I felt great empathy for Diane Moseley!

well done to all involved

Yeah the show certainly brought back memories, good Doco ...I have jimmy,s book (and a Laminated local newspaper photo, after he won the cup,with my mum, on my bookshelf.)

Agree Weasle on your Dianne Mosely  comment ...the follow up on TV1 news last night (intended or not ! )...of Sam Collett being NZ,s top jock,

has shown just how far NZ Woman, including Jocks, have come in this country.  That is worth another Doco on its own .

5 hours ago, porky said:

Yeah the show certainly brought back memories, good Doco ...I have jimmy,s book (and a Laminated local newspaper photo, after he won the cup,with my mum, on my bookshelf.)

Agree Weasle on your Dianne Mosely  comment ...the follow up on TV1 news last night (intended or not ! )...of Sam Collett being NZ,s top jock,

has shown just how far NZ Woman, including Jocks, have come in this country.  That is worth another Doco on its own .

good point Porky...as I recall the KiwI doc may have overstated Diane's role as the 'pioneer' at the expense of Linda Jones ...but it's fair to say Diane was one of the most successful female jockeys of her time. I wonder how long she would have kept the ride if she had not been injured.

• Like 1