Bit Of A Yarn

Jacinda Ardern

hesi

Chief Stipe

• Chief Stipe
  • Administrators
  • 3,657 post

As you know I'm a proponent of free speech hence BOAY however can we keep the party political broadcasts to another part of the forum?  E.g. Other stuff or The Vent.

In any event you've nearly driven me to off load on a topic that I generally steer clear of on BOAY - the site is about sport and racing.

But I will say this Arden's minority government is as dangerous to the principles of democracy as is Trumps to the great republic.  Her Government IS a MINORITY government patched together with the looney greens and the reincarnation of a Maori Muldoon whose narcissistic ego is only matched by Trumps.

As far as I'm concerned it is open season on Ardern for the fact of what she has done and is doing to democracy in this country.  She has no principles but has glib shallow political slogans.  There are numerous reasons why I detest her Government but here are a few:

1.  It is a minority Government - the Labour Party did not win the largest percentage votes of any party;

2.  It appears Labour spent 9 years in Opposition sitting on their arses and have no policy instead we now have a plethora of committees and even stage managed conferences to develop policy.  All under the guise of "reaching out", "engaging communities" and "inclusiveness."  See it for what it is - the circumvention of democracy and the determination of government policy and action by committee which reports back to the politburo;

3.  Unilateral policy making by Ardern without consultation of cabinet or her coalition so called "partners".  There has been more than one example of this but the one that sticks in my mind is her decision to stop oil and gas exploration.  That single decision may eventually force us to third world status.  The lower income workers who diligently drive to and from work to help produce the goods we sell to the world won't be able to afford $3 a litre for petrol let alone $5.

4.  Lastly the "first baby".  For a start it isn't the first baby my own is first.  I've always said if there is one thing that do in life it is her to keep my baby safe - nowadays that includes keeping her safe by respecting her privacy.  Neve's mother has used the "first baby" as a political prop, has not defended her privacy, has paraded her on stage at the UN (albeit an empty one) and carted her across the world and all the attendant news media.  What for?  To further the cause of working mothers (real ones are struggling to pay for the fuel to get to work)?  Or further her own cause?  

Geez.....you should see when I really off load on stuff political!

Invariably there is more than one way to see the same thing. Using very strong emotive words such as "detest" to describe the new Government says more about you than it does anything else. The justifications you put forward have to my eye very little or no merit. I don't appreciate your patronizing statement about "Party Political Broadcasts". National Party supporters can and do put up scathing and very personal / insulting derogatory abuse all over the internet all day every day. Of course none of it is motivated by bias or strong resentment at no longer being Government courtesy of MMP. For the record, I couldn't give a flying toss about the Labour Party. I don't defend them. I defend Ardern from the relentless personal attacks the brave souls riddle the internet with. Anyone who defends Ardern is described as being ignorant or a cult member. Clearly, attacking a woman is seen by a disappointing high number of Kiwis as fair play where as defending the same woman is not. I'm also a supporter of Winston Peters. Anyone who puts NZ first has my approval. I will put up a retort to the four affidavit like points in another message or this input will stretch to Africa.   

1.  It is a minority Government - the Labour Party did not win the largest percentage votes of any party;

2.  It appears Labour spent 9 years in Opposition sitting on their arses and have no policy instead we now have a plethora of committees and even stage managed conferences to develop policy.  All under the guise of "reaching out", "engaging communities" and "inclusiveness."  See it for what it is - the circumvention of democracy and the determination of government policy and action by committee which reports back to the politburo;

3.  Unilateral policy making by Ardern without consultation of cabinet or her coalition so called "partners".  There has been more than one example of this but the one that sticks in my mind is her decision to stop oil and gas exploration.  That single decision may eventually force us to third world status.  The lower income workers who diligently drive to and from work to help produce the goods we sell to the world won't be able to afford $3 a litre for petrol let alone $5.

4.  Lastly the "first baby".  For a start it isn't the first baby my own is first.  I've always said if there is one thing that do in life it is her to keep my baby safe - nowadays that includes keeping her safe by respecting her privacy.  Neve's mother has used the "first baby" as a political prop, has not defended her privacy, has paraded her on stage at the UN (albeit an empty one) and carted her across the world and all the attendant news media.  What for?  To further the cause of working mothers (real ones are struggling to pay for the fuel to get to work)?  Or further her own cause?  

1) There is absolutely nothing wrong on principal with a minority Government when the biggest party has enough coalition support parties to create a majority and form a Government. That's what we have now under MMP. We've had exactly the same setup with a National Government. The biggest difference here is that the party with the most votes is not part of the Government. Those with a vested interest blame Winston Peters for that but looking at the bigger picture tells a different story. If National had friends which is critical under MMP, they would still be Government. Why were their coalition support parties sent packing? The answer is because they propped up a Government growing numbers of Kiwi's no longer wanted. National's short sighted and underhanded tactics against Winston Peters orchestrated by Steven Joyce were an epic and extremely arrogant miscalculation. 

2) Labour did sit on their arses for 9 years. You are correct but look deeper. Why? They were completely bereft of meaningful leadership. Being led by inadequate men was extremely unhelpful. Key's Government were gifted a free pass by the likes of Goff, Cunliffe and Little. They were leading Labour into political oblivion. Then, at the last fence, Andrew Little is confronted by the reality he'd been denying that hibernating Labour supporters had been seeing for the entire 30 months he led the party. A hospital pass to Ardern quickly followed. You can ridicule "inclusiveness" etc all you like but that is Ardern's style. That just couldn't be more obvious or more real. It's perplexing that the finger pointers can't see that, in fact they ridicule it.

3) Unilateral policy making? In the words of John McEnroe, "you can't be serious"? Dominant Governments such as the previous National Government made unilateral policy making an art form. There are examples of it everywhere that future generations of New Zealanders will be paying through the nose for until the second coming of Christ. Your example of stopping oil and gas exploration is absurd. If you think that is the off the cuff decision of one person, you are seriously deluded. The doom and gloom about this issue is off the charts. There is every chance this action will lead to enormous benefits for NZ and further afield. It must also be remembered that as has been the case over the last few decades, future employment etc will very likely come from areas that don't yet even exist. An open mind is essential in this area. As for the price of fuel. New Zealanders have been paying through the nose for fuel since Adam was a cowboy. Are we going to blame this on Ardern now? Something had to be done to unclog our motorways. National's answer was to do virtually nothing and just watch the situation worsen. How did that work in an alleged rock star economy?

4) You are in my opinion, 100% wrong about Ardern and her baby. Your screaming bias is on show. Ardern is clearly and unmistakably looking at the big picture. Strongly motivated by the rights and treatment of women and equality. There is considerable evidence of this. She's a breast feeding mother who just happens to be a Prime Minister. She's been a trail blazer and has done more for New Zealand and for women, especially working mothers in the last week than any other NZ women including Helen Clark has done in decades. Obviously, her baby needed to come with her on the US trip. Has she capitalized on that situation for the greater good? Absolutely yes. Should she be ashamed of that? Absolutely not. 

Edited by Gavin
  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 2

• 3 years later...