Bit Of A Yarn

Jilliby Kung Fu !!! who is the Fu ?

Now racing out of the leading Luke McCarthy barn , this old boy is a Superstar that missed out on a BIG winning career. 

2018 saw JILLIBY KUNG FU run second in the Miracle Mile running about 1.48 odd himself !!! wow ! and leaving 2 Interdominion winners (and very well known NZ horses Lazarus and Tiger Tara ) struggling to keep up on that occasion . That's WHo the FU is lol.....  now on the injury comeback trail.

Tonight was winning at Albion Park for Luke McCarthy to make it 2 wins from 2 starts at that stable .  Fu has had only 3 starts in past 4 years !!!!! Could of been anything . 

BTW Luke has toweled the locals up completely taking out the feature with ex-pat NZer SPIRIT OF ST LOUIS (has a heap of Aus and NZ owners still , so good on them)

and also MAJOR JELLIS has bolted in again 2 from 2 in QLD for Luke in a solid 1.51 mile rate. Why couldn't Phelan and Barry win much with this horse at Auckland? Only 5th at Manawatu stand before leaving NZ in March . seriously? ?? the 'silver with blue spots' is going Very Ordinary these days since the great Roy Purdon passed away it seems.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Robalan said:

I don't think Barry's that interested these days. Scot Phelan seems to be running the show

Yes after a long and distinguished career Barry deserves a good back-off now these days. done it all really. Nz and Oz too. Chokin and Holmes DG were banging out Miracle Mile wins one after another at one stage.

Doubt any Aussie (probably even most kiwi's) would even recognise S Phelan from a photo . Has he even won a Group 1 there?? 

They had only one runner past 2 northern meetings. A stable of that history should be dominating you would think and have good numbers racing year round.

Credit though for 'MERLIN' to them. training him for 4 out of 4 good 2 yearold wins in Summer for his QLD owner.

Barry still has a lot of loyal owners and is given well bred stock to train. I don't know how long the "Purdon" light will shine, however. Even Mark is in the precess of trying to sub divide his prpoerty and if he is succesful in doing that I think he will pull back his involvement in training

Edited by Robalan

42 minutes ago, Robalan said:

Barry still has a lot of loyal owners and is given well bred stock to train. I don't know how long the "Purdon" light will shine, however. Even Mark is in the precess of trying to sub divide his prpoerty and if he is succesful in doing that I think he will pull back his involvement in training

Yes the boys have had decades of quite astounding success. Alas Barry doesn't seem to have a child to carry on the Purdon name at the famous Clevedon base . 

Mark has son Nathan doing a great job in Australia now training. His Top class filly 'AMORE VITA ' won extremely easily at Albion Park last night to make it 9 wins from 12 starts in Aus.  

Perhaps Mark's Nz-based son Michael could 'Do the Job ' now there ? He seems to have done a good job with the young trotter so far................. and with a bit of staff , and the owners, and a few more horses.... could continue the fine Purdon tradition.? 

55 minutes ago, Robalan said:

Isnt the Rasmussen property under the “Flightpath”?

If it is then doubt it will ever get developed into housing unless they shifting it  and doubt too many other owners will be putting their hand up to have it over theirs!

The whole of Rolleston is under a flight path. I don't know where you got the title Rasmussen property. Purdon purchased the prpoerty years before Rasmussen came on the scene.

Gammalite, I doubt Michael Purdon will ever make it to the heights of his father or brother

2 hours ago, Robalan said:

The whole of Rolleston is under a flight path. I don't know where you got the title Rasmussen property. Purdon purchased the prpoerty years before Rasmussen came on the scene.

Gammalite, I doubt Michael Purdon will ever make it to the heights of his father or brother

Robalan, probably not the place to discuss on here.

Owned a property previously in Rolly for many years and never had a plane fly over the house, not that I was there often 😂 

On 19/06/2022 at 12:35 PM, Gammalite said:

Yes after a long and distinguished career Barry deserves a good back-off now these days. done it all really. Nz and Oz too. Chokin and Holmes DG were banging out Miracle Mile wins one after another at one stage.

Christopher Vance started that ball rolling with a 1st and 2nd.