Bit Of A Yarn

Harness Training Costs Nowadays?? Puzzling!!

Brodie

What are the trainers charging for training nowadays?

There is clearly a huge variance in training costs now and far higher than I was thinking!

Stonewall Stud are doing a great job with their syndicates to get potentially new people into ownership so that it is affordable for the syndicate members!

However it would seem on the face of it a great money spinner!

A current advert seeking new syndicate members for an expensive yearling requires a payment of $3422 for a 1% share, $17,110 for a 5% share therefore valuing the horse at 342,200 so it has to be extremely good to win anywhere near the current value!!!

PLUS the monthly payment for training is $36 for a 1% share $180 per month for the 5% share therefore the monthly income for training  costs for this yearling is  $3,600 or $43,200 per annum whether it is in work or in the paddock spelling!

I appreciate people will say that it is giving people the chance to own a good horse but are training costs really $118 per day all inclusive bearing in mind that the horse wont be in work every day?

No wonder harness can not attract owners!

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

On 9/19/2022 at 8:20 PM, Brodie said:

What are the trainers charging for training nowadays?

There is clearly a huge variance in training costs now and far higher than I was thinking!

Stonewall Stud are doing a great job with their syndicates to get potentially new people into ownership so that it is affordable for the syndicate members!

However it would seem on the face of it a great money spinner!

A current advert seeking new syndicate members for an expensive yearling requires a payment of $3422 for a 1% share, $17,110 for a 5% share therefore valuing the horse at 342,200 so it has to be extremely good to win anywhere near the current value!!!

PLUS the monthly payment for training is $36 for a 1% share $180 per month for the 5% share therefore the monthly income for training  costs for this yearling is  $3,600 or $43,200 per annum whether it is in work or in the paddock spelling!

I appreciate people will say that it is giving people the chance to own a good horse but are training costs really $118 per day all inclusive bearing in mind that the horse wont be in work every day?

No wonder harness can not attract owners!

I know of one trainer who has 10% in horses for $160 a month.  They are IMHO good honest trainers.  I used to pay $700a month cash for whole horse years ago.  About 10 years ago. 

Just saaaaying. 

• Like 1

Seems to me that if someone that only wants 1% share in a horse then they probably wont have over a spare $3k to part with for the initial purchase.

To my mind it would be better to be in a syndicate with a horse that is up and running rather than a $340k unproven yearling!

Still think for many, syndicates are great for racing for affordabilty and enjoyment.