Bit Of A Yarn

Verry Elleegant

hesi

Poor Bish was feeling the stress...

Having thought the 600K was nearly in the bank...and it wasn't....

..then the potential buyers pleading with them to not start yesterday..and still no movement...

..would be fairly frustrating...

being by Zed though the November Guineas could be too quick...I'd be hunting them down for that money..and doing what they say...

• 1 month later...
Guest CrossCodes

Agree, she didn't look at all happy being buried on the fence, but once in the clear at the top of the straight it was all over. 

The big Flemington straight should suit her ideally and if she doesn't use too much energy overracing the Oaks is hers to lose.

I hope the former owners got a decent amount of moolah for her!

I think VE is a great example of a Kiwi racehorse that would never have reached her potential if she continued to race in NZ.  There are so many hurdles horses have to jump in order to be successful, I do understand why owners sell out, but I’m at a loss as to why owners just don’t make a decision to race in Australia themselves. Also, I can’t  understand why trainers don’t take horses there more frequently to race...establishing a relationship with trainers in various states...

I can pinpoint several horses immediately that would have picked up great wins which would have made the trip financially successful....

I also believe Aussies have “marked down” the Kiwi thoroughbred to a certain degree and don’t follow the form as closely as they should (with the exception of those dedicated followers of fashion - bloodstock agents)  because the Kiwi horse represents great value. They are tough, they are durable and in the majority of cases improve when they transfer into the hands of Aussie trainers. There are a multitude of reasons why this happens....and having worked on both sides of the ditch, the differences are quite marked.   But that’s a conversation for another day. 

• Like 2

Good post MMS, and it raises the question, what do you do when you have a promising young horse in NZ.

Lots of people in the game on BOAY, what's the consensus

Apparently sold for 600K, wins the VRC Oaks(2.50 FF), and money back already, still with plenty of racing left and a very valuable broodmare

• 3 weeks later...

So VE gets the gear change today and has the freshness taken off her on the backup

A Shadow Roll can work wonders...but maybe the problem is the Oirish Jock who rides on a long reign?

...and she's not used to it?

The cut ground should suit...so fingers crossed the Roll works...

..although over racing can indicate they've had enough...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thomass said:

So VE gets the gear change today and has the freshness taken off her on the backup

A Shadow Roll can work wonders...but maybe the problem is the Oirish Jock who rides on a long reign?

...and she's not used to it?

The cut ground should suit...so fingers crossed the Roll works...

..although over racing can indicate they've had enough...

so if she wins the gear change works wonders and if she dont she gave us a clue last start by over-racing ....looks like you have it covered with way TommyTomTom, I expect you'll make the call once the race is over and say 'told ya so' on your next post. While I'd love to see her win, I think they are being very ambitious/brave running her over 2500m in the Spring anyway and risk ruining her for the autumn .. if she were mine she'd be eating grass after that run last week and be given plenty of time to mature so she's stronger, more confident and more relaxed in 2019, when there are multiple Group 1s avaiable for a horse of her quality. So there. (Posted before the Oaks, cos i'm not a chicken-shite like others i could name)

Guest CrossCodes

I've given her another chance today, she's over-raced in most of her starts, but if she does it over 2500m she might not have much juice left, the last start was just a training run.

TommyTomTom ...you don't get it, do you? Its not especially hard to win despite over-racing - depending on the distance of the race and quality of the opposition. But when VE stepped up to take on the better quality contestants over longer distances, she gave signals that she ain't suited to the Oaks journey (in my humble opinion). Darren Weir sounded a note of caution in the build-up, after her very impressive win in Australia...he was unsure how she'd cope with the extra trip and said words to the effect that "from 2200m to 2300m and from 2300m to 2400m, let alone the extra 100m of the Oaks" is a BIG STEP UP." I reckon he wanted to put her aside and wait for the autumn but the new owners were looking for a more immediate return on their investment. Unkind people would call it 'greed' but I think its an understandable position. I hope they don't even think about 2400m for her in the autumn; plenty of rich pickings over shorter journeys.

What??...of course it's hard to win if your neddy's over racing...

...it's a very bad trait....

...and it also signals a horse has probably had enough for the campaign....

I agreed with Weir the run up race was ok after getting caught wide but running on ok..it was worth another role...change the Jockey 

10 hours ago, Thomass said:

What??...of course it's hard to win if your neddy's over racing...

...it's a very bad trait....

...and it also signals a horse has probably had enough for the campaign....

I agreed with Weir the run up race was ok after getting caught wide but running on ok..it was worth another role...change the Jockey 

..and I disagree on it being 'worth another roll (ie anther race, ) esp a race over a verry long trip for a 3yo filly who has demonstrated a recent history of over-racing, and who has been 'up ' for about 6 months in her first campaign and been exported to another country.

Far better to err on the side of caution and have your horse unscarred after a good summer break, esp when she has form on soft ground..perfect for Sydney.

IM sure the Hurdle Jock knows how to sing an Irish lullaby to try to settle her...

Weiry would hate taking his star pupil off....but he knows all the secrets without my input...

...You however think REDZEL's trainer should take the Blinkers off...after all why waste wear and tear when you don't need them?

F me...do you have no embarrassment trait in your DNA?