Bit Of A Yarn

Cole comments

Guest CrossCodes

Guest CrossCodes

Interesting hearing Brendon Coles comments after winning the Auckland Cup yesterday stating he is so disillusioned with the industry that they are giving it away.

If that's true, and it could just be a temper tantrum about something, we just don't know, where would that leave the state of racing in the C.D....

GRNZ have driven away all the owner/trainers, and smaller trainers already, and now Wanganui is back up and running, and the straight track is being built, where are the dogs going to come from to fill fields?

I presume Manawatu, Wanganui, and the straight track will all have at least one meeting a week, so 3 meetings a week in the C.D, for predominantly 2 kennel that potentially could be closing.

Wheras down South, where the majority of the dogs racing come from, they have Addington which gets thrashed, and Invercargill which is a 9 hour drive away.....doesn't make sense at all.....who makes these ridiculous decisions?

All this money building a new straight track for nobody to race on, and a whole new Wanganui, while the South has had Forbury close with no signs of any replacement, makes you wonder whether the South Island representation on the board is doing much, if anything at all for the Sth Island trainers?

Everyone has been able to see the demise of greyhound racing in NZ coming, but it looks like it could be sooner than first thought going by some of these ridiculous decisions they are making.

Edited by CrossCodes

6 hours ago, CrossCodes said:

Interesting hearing Brendon Coles comments after winning the Auckland Cup yesterday stating he is so disillusioned with the industry that they are giving it away.

If that's true, and it could just be a temper tantrum about something, we just don't know, where would that leave the state of racing in the C.D....

GRNZ have driven away all the owner/trainers, and smaller trainers already, and now Wanganui is back up and running, and the straight track is being built, where are the dogs going to come from to fill fields?

I presume Manawatu, Wanganui, and the straight track will all have at least one meeting a week, so 3 meetings a week in the C.D, for predominantly 2 kennel that potentially could be closing.

Wheras down South, where the majority of the dogs racing come from, they have Addington which gets thrashed, and Invercargill which is a 9 hour drive away.....doesn't make sense at all.....who makes these ridiculous decisions?

All this money building a new straight track for nobody to race on, and a whole new Wanganui, while the South has had Forbury close with no signs of any replacement, makes you wonder whether the South Island representation on the board is doing much, if anything at all for the Sth Island trainers?

Everyone has been able to see the demise of greyhound racing in NZ coming, but it looks like it could be sooner than first thought going by some of these ridiculous decisions they are making.

I know multiple trainers in the CD have even refused to trial at Wanganui since its opened due to the amount of muscle injuries occurring there. Apparently the clubs looking at using the straight track for all sprints after its built which is ludicrous because straight tracks are typically for fast and strong 450m dogs, not 300m sprinters.

Sounds like palmy isnt much better now. Hearing broken hocks there every week.

Its no wonder racing in the CD is dead with how Palmy is getting run now. No tote, no places to buy food and drinks. I went to a meeting there recently and its so dreadful and boring. How are you meant to get new people into the industry when the atmosphere is that bad? Especially when its the sole track in the CD for over a year now. You can say what you want about Paul Freeman, the racedays never looked that bad while he was president.

As for Cole, I'd imagine the amount of new regulations would be costly on a trainer with 150+ dogs in his care. Hard to maximise profits in that case. I think some of the regulations are silly but many of them are needed for racing to keep its social license and many of these should have been implemented a decade ago. I think its been to little to late in this regard.

All in all racing is looking miserable everywhere besides Addington. And i dont think those in charge have made things any better. I know I will no longer be investing in any more racing dogs and i know multiple others who will not.

Edited by BitofaLegend
  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

8 hours ago, CrossCodes said:

If that's true, and it could just be a temper tantrum about something, we just don't know, where would that leave the state of racing in the C.D.

The CD numbers have been dwindling for a long time.

Just a few years ago

• There was a 12 to 15 race mixed grade meet on Monday at PN.
  • There was a 15 race low grade meet on Wednesday at Wanganui.
  • There was a 12 race high grade meet on Friday at Wanganui.

Even with all those opportunities, there were still heaps of non-tote (tier 2) races being held to keep the dogs going around the track because they weren't getting starts.

I believe what we're seeing now is the carry on from the RIU's ex-top dog's indiscretions & corruption, ignoring his favoured trainer's mishaps whenever possible & holding all the other trainers to account with an iron fist. He put the Ahern kennel first (now called the Cole kennel) and it now has all the power & say on the future of racing in the CD.

GRNZ has had plenty of time since his departure & has done nothing to correct the damage he had done.

On 27/03/2023 at 9:50 PM, CrossCodes said:

What absolute bullshit. Hes not going to, or would be able to walk away with what he's put into that property and business. It's worth nothing to jo blogs and what greyhound trainers got the money to buy it?

All he's doing is spouting poor me and looking for sympathy, or attention. 

And is disillusioned code for him and Rendel not getting their own way?

• Like 2

Guest CrossCodes
On 29/03/2023 at 5:25 AM, Four shaw said:

I suggest a career in acting 

You are probably correct, as he said a breath after saying he was giving it away that he had just bred another litter with the brood bitch that sired the cup winner, which isn't an action of someone who is quitting the game.

Speaking of leaving, it looks like Gary Fredrickson is out after looking at the classifieds selling all his dogs and pups, and the transfer of Kaw Liga, his kennel star, to the Fahey kennel.

And did I hear correctly last week Andy McCook saying that Janine had her last runner as a trainer? A real shame, someone who you never really heard a bad word against, and someone who has been in the game for a long time and had some very nice dogs.

Appears like it is curtains for the industry, and the last one out to turn off the lights.....such a shame that the demise of greyhound racing is coming, and all because of an inept board, who has done nothing to prevent the decline, in fact has appeared to speed up the process.

Who's the next to hang up their collar and lead?