Bit Of A Yarn

Mesara Appointed to Review NZ Racing

Chief Stipe

News

Mandated Messara wasting no time

• Fri, 13 Apr 2018
  •  
  • Dennis Ryan

John Messara intends wasting no time in acting on the mandate to head a wide-sweeping review of the New Zealand racing industry announced yesterday by Racing Minister Winston Peters.

Speaking today to www.theinformant.co.nz from his Sydney office, the former chairman of Racing Australia and Racing NSW said that he expected to commence his assignment next week and aims to have it completed before the end of the current racing season.

After being taken to task for a suggested lack of tangible progress on his pre-election promises to the racing industry, Mr Peters made a quantum leap in that direction yesterday with his announcement that Messara will review the New Zealand racing industry’s governance structures, and provide recommendations on future directions for the industry.

“It is vital an assessment is conducted on whether the industry is meeting its full financial potential, and whether its governance arrangements are top heavy,” said Mr Peters.

“His review will also assist the government in determining if the current Racing Act 2003 and the proposed Racing Amendment Bill are fit for purpose.”

Messara, well-known for the determined and well-thought negotiation skills that have been instrumental in Sydney racing becoming the envy of Australia and even the world, understands the gravity of his latest challenge but is determined to give it his best shot.

“It’s a challenge but I realise that the New Zealand racing industry has been under some stress,” he said. “I’ve had many years’ involvement in New Zealand and when I was approached by Mr Peters I agreed to do it.

“I’m excited by it and starting next week I’ll be setting out on a high level exercise aimed at arriving at some recommendations to report back to the Minister with.

“We’ll see how it goes, but I’m expecting it will be completed in three months.”

One has only to talk to stakeholders in the racing industry across the Tasman to get some understanding of the esteem in which Messara is held. As the first lady of Australian racing, Gai Waterhouse, commented between training duties at Randwick this morning, his understanding of the racing industry is complete.

“New Zealand is very lucky to get a person such as John Messara to look at how your industry is run and how it can be done better,” Waterhouse told www.theinformant.co.nz. “He has such a broad understanding of racing, his knowledge and the way he goes about making change is immense.”

Likewise the trainer with the largest team in work at Randwick, Peter Snowden. “Racing in Sydney wouldn’t be what it now is without the input of John Messara and (Racing NSW CEO) Peter V’landys,” he commented. “Look at the stakes we’re racing for here tomorrow, and other huge initiatives like The Everest.

“Not only does he know what’s required, but he makes it happen.”

On the home front, one significant stakeholder to welcome yesterday’s announcement is Garry Chittick, well recognised for his role in building Waikato Stud to become the country’s major breeding operation as well as being a former chair of the Racing Industry Board.

“I’ve been saying for so long that we need an independent approach, either one person or a group of people,” Chittick said. “We’re very lucky to get John, for him to be prepared to spend the time on us and our industry.

“He’s obviously independent, he’s a no-nonsense sort of bloke, and he’s got clout.”

Amongst his observations following yesterday’s announcement, Messara acknowledged the part played by The Informant over recent months, in particular journalist Brian de Lore’s “blank sheet” article that followed an interview with him at the National Yearling Sales in late January.

“It would be fair to say that article by Brian got the ball rolling,” he commented. “Now to have got to this stage with the Minister’s announcement, it says a lot for that level of journalism and the platform provided by your publication.”

Chittick???

If he and his crony Alexander(who as I remember went on from his NZRB disaster to almost root Eden Park as CEO then disappeared) had had their way 20 years ago there would be no NZ industry left to save.  Other than that great article Dennis Ryan - lets bring it on!

A real coup for Peters to convince Messara to take this on.

Where are all the Peters haters now, and there were a few of them

I wonder how this all played out, did Peters read Brian de Lore's article in The Informant, about starting from scratch, getting rid of the NZRB etc etc, and decide that is exactly what we need

I look forward to the outcomes of Mr Messara's recommendation to the Minister.

My expectations are that the focus will be on cost cutting/re-organisation.

But what I'd like to see is what strategy he recommends to take the NZ industry to a self sustainable level. He comes from a jurisdiction where that is possible. Cost cutting and re-organisation alone does not get us anywhere near that level.

So I am interested in seeing how he plans to achieve that. Yet, I believe that is certainly possible.

Agree, must come up with a sustainable growth strategy, although substantial cost savings will greatly facilitate any such strategy.

Peter's ears were probably pricked up, when Messara made the statement that the NZRB should be scrapped and a blank sheet of paper approach taken.

Over $200 million in costs to run NZRB, that's a lot of money.

Surprised ARC still going ahead with it's track renovations in view of this announcement(probably too late to change).

A Strathayr track at Ellerslie, may be one of the things that Messara recommends, so the current expenditure may very well be wasted.

I don't necessarily think NZRB should be scrapped. But I think it's focus should change.

What surprises me is that I still read about the belief that Australia does as well as it does due to the level of state/regional government support. NZ gets far more government support than they do in Oz. And the numbers support that.

2 hours ago, mardigras said:

What surprises me is that I still read about the belief that Australia does as well as it does due to the level of state/regional government support. NZ gets far more government support than they do in Oz. And the numbers support that.

Yes, I'm not sure where they get that illusion (or should that be delusion?) mardigras. Every time I've asked, no evidence has been forthcoming, so I've given up.

Edited by curious

15 hours ago, mardigras said:

Possibly because of the media highlighting state gov assistance on things like their tracks. Compared to things like licence fees, income tax etc.

While that may be right mardigras, it seems to me similar to saying that if I pay 10k a year in income tax and get a $300 refund, and you pay 100k and get a 10k refund, that I am hard done by and deserve more "support" from the state, closer to what you got.

I don't see how I could ask for that when I am already getting the benefit of payments to government at a much lower rate.

Messara's job is to review the current model and make recommendations, not implement anything. He is a competent, successful and smart cookie with significant hands on experience in the industry. I don't think his "blank sheet of paper" comment means overturning anything major necessarily. To me it means first a focus on establishing what a more effective and efficient model should look like and maybe then suggest how we might get from here to there.

Peters is already publicly questioning the proposed amendments to the Racing Act, so those will presumably be on hold at least until Messsara reports. We also have growing moves in the political mix to limit or abolish Class 4 gambling in due course. Racing needs to prepare for that eventuality with a plan leading back to self-sufficiency in my view.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Portfolio said:

With so many punters betting overseas, how can nz racing improve stakes? 

I thought they were stopping punters betting overseas, or was this too hard.

I would have thought improving stakes was a long term goal. I think they need to attempt to bring punters back to betting on NZ racing. Self sustainability and all that. I'd be looking at ways to differentiate NZ racing from overseas racing and go down that path. 

7 hours ago, curious said:

While that may be right mardigras, it seems to me similar to saying that if I pay 10k a year in income tax and get a $300 refund, and you pay 100k and get a 10k refund, that I am hard done by and deserve more "support" from the state, closer to what you got.

I don't see how I could ask for that when I am already getting the benefit of payments to government at a much lower rate.

I guess in the case of New Zealand - the racing industry gets all the income tax, and all the licence fee that might otherwise be paid to a government. Whereas in places like Oz, the racing industry gets a small portion of that back.

6 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

I see there is a group already trying to discredit Mesara and because of his comment about the Informant article written by de Lore the latter as well.

discredit him they are trying to do why  most that are  have a previous bad history

The difference between Oz and NZ was glaring obvious yesterday when we walked onto Beaudesert racecourse. Beau is about one hour's drive from Brizzie, and an hour from the coast......Gold Coast that is......lovely track, good surface, strong betting ring with bookies even betting place only.

The crowd grew during the day, being Anzac Day many of course had been to services and then to their various clubs, still, no signs of being under the influence.

We left just before the last, the crowd was enormous and loud, most under the 30!.....party time, however the betting ring was full and the bookies were doing well........that's the difference. The atmosphere was unreal.......just like I remember back in the 70's/80's when I was training at Flemington. Then we got 20, 30 thousand to Sat race days, not just big day's or carnie days......everyday.......last week at midweek Ipswich the crowd was small, and only a few bookies, that is a sign of the times, the last time I went to Trentham, a few months back, a man and his dog were there, no atmosphere, the members was a room full of drinkers that rarely left the room, no one went down to look at the horses in the tie ups....cos you can't of course.......a lot more relaxed here in the QLD sun.

Let's see what next Sat brings, Doomben, or the Gold Coast......ahh, the options.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rowley Mile said:

The difference between Oz and NZ was glaring obvious yesterday when we walked onto Beaudesert racecourse. Beau is about one hour's drive from Brizzie, and an hour from the coast......Gold Coast that is......lovely track, good surface, strong betting ring with bookies even betting place only.

The crowd grew during the day, being Anzac Day many of course had been to services and then to their various clubs, still, no signs of being under the influence.

We left just before the last, the crowd was enormous and loud, most under the 30!.....party time, however the betting ring was full and the bookies were doing well........that's the difference. The atmosphere was unreal.......just like I remember back in the 70's/80's when I was training at Flemington. Then we got 20, 30 thousand to Sat race days, not just big day's or carnie days......everyday.......last week at midweek Ipswich the crowd was small, and only a few bookies, that is a sign of the times, the last time I went to Trentham, a few months back, a man and his dog were there, no atmosphere, the members was a room full of drinkers that rarely left the room, no one went down to look at the horses in the tie ups....cos you can't of course.......a lot more relaxed here in the QLD sun.

Let's see what next Sat brings, Doomben, or the Gold Coast......ahh, the options.

love beauie been there several times always a great day

• Like 1