Bit Of A Yarn

new sires

paleface adios

1 hour ago, paleface adios said:

what new sires will replace the good ones that are getting older

Downbytheseaside, Captaintreacherous Sweet Lou are all doing a great job & are relatively young compared to BD & Art Major.   Breeders & trainers seem to really like Captain Crunch.  I don’t think I have ever seen an unproven sire get so much support.   Time will tell with him.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, With A Dream said:

Lazarus seems to be doing well but it’s still early days.

Will be great to see how they go as 3 year olds when filled out a bit. 

The bloke Nat has in the photo above is ULTIMATE SNIPER . He clean swept the 2019 Interdominion at Auckland 2019 in his last 4 starts showing sprint heat speed wins and good staying ability too. 

Being by Bettor's Delight , like Lazarus, I thought the 'Sniper ' might produce solid foals like himself. 

Just found out he (Ultimate Sniper)  is standing in West Australia this spring 😂😂.

sorry about that . you will need someone else a bit closer to Nz 😂

• 2 months later...

My wifes just got this years standardbred stallions book.

Looks to be a wide range of choices. 

Sweet lou seems very reasonably priced at $7500 plus gst.

king of swing $6,500  lazarus $7,500

bulldog hanover at $10,000. I see hes by shadow play,i don't know whether that will factor in for breeders but a great racehorse.

Bettors delight and captain treacherous still at $25,000.

My wife likes the look of lather up at $4,500. Thats closer to my price range if we were to breed one.

lochaburn the cheapest at $1000 sky major $2500

The trotters seem a lot cheaper,with 9 $2000 or cheaper.

Maybe not the same depth there as the pacers. There doesn't seem any bread and butter type producer in the trotters although majestic son at $5,000 seem one of the better priced. Hes left some good ones but i always think they a bit highly strung.

Father patrick still at $7,500 although personally i'm not a fan,but he always seems popular.

1 hour ago, With A Dream said:

Bettor Wish is doing very well in the States with a small first crop (35) He is leading 2 year old sire on the earnings per foal basis.  Stood for $8,000 + gst here but it’s probably a safe bet that will increase next season 

i see he went 1.47 .8 and 1.47.6 at 3 and 4.The US aged male pacer of his year as a 3 and 4 year old. dexter dunn used to drive him.

His oldest progeny are 2 in the usa.

Those sire stake races can be a bit misleading as far as numbers go. In new jersey in 2022 there were only 13 pacers and 5 trotters stand in the state.

Having said that they had their sires stakes finals for new jersey 3 weeks ago and bettors wish sired the winner of the colts which ran 1.50.4 and the fillies which ran 1.52.2. 

Edited by the galah