Bit Of A Yarn

Not me Malty.  Matches quite nicely with one of my mares but I generally have a fairly cursory look at Waikato's horses as their roster is always richly priced IMO.   

All the best to those who choose to patronise them though - just generally not where I see value when looking for sires myself. 

J.

Exactly...I am very suspicious of the big studs and their pricing policy.

That’s why I’m curious to know who is using him....surely he can’t be full at the listed price? 

Its a make or break year for a few studs...some fees are questionable 

Best value in Australasia is Smart Missile at $12000...where can I get that value in NZ?

I've always liked him and seen some nice types at the sales but he just hasn't kicked on with that good 3yo that all stallions on that sort of fee need to have.

On the value side of things I was asking my self the same question a few weeks ago. I came to the conclusion its gotten more difficult to find value but from a breeding to racing perspective (under $10k in NZ as I see it)  I came up with Alamosa,Bullbars,Zed,Roc De Cambes and R2R on the proven list and of the unproven at a reasonable fee Derryn,Complacent,Wrote and Rageese.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Huey said:

Over 40 in K1 , 1 stakeswinner to date.

Will the Aussies buy them? Must be some good ones out there for that many to get in K1 or is that now the state of the catalogue?

Has had a few winners in Victoria of late!!With the Aussies, you don't but they seem to like him.

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:28 AM, Huey said:

Over 40 in K1 , 1 stakeswinner to date.

Will the Aussies buy them? Must be some good ones out there for that many to get in K1 or is that now the state of the catalogue?

I would think the stud fee would also play a part in the numbers. Since NZB moved to the new Book 1 format last year, they have to fill the numbers somehow. Justifying the "Quality" of Book 1 with more stock by a $30k stailion is more marketable than stock by a $15k stallion.

Book 1 by the numbers:

Savabeel(100k)  71 lots

Tavistock(65k)  84 Lots

Ocean park(30k) 41 Lots

Sacred Falls(30k) 54 Lots

Iffraaj(25k) 29 Lots

Only 3 Fastnet Rocks compared to 12 which averaged $394,167

Karaka Book 1 sales is not looking good at all. I would be expecting all key sales figues to finish downwards.

Edited by Brando

On ‎27‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:07 PM, Brando said:

Karaka Book 1 sales is not looking good at all. I would be expecting all key sales figues to finish downwards.

Ahhh.  Maybe.  But don't hold your breath.  You can do anything with numbers - and frequently people do.  Have you heard the old idiom "Lies, damned lies & statistics" - was it Disraeli who said it? (I stand to be corrected).

I have been surprised before when watching events at Karaka, to then read the glowing and positive report at the end of the day on how it stacked up.  Sometimes I wondered if their media person and I had been watching the same sale ... ?  

• Like 2

On 27/11/2018 at 4:07 PM, Brando said:

I would think the stud fee would also play a part in the numbers. Since NZB moved to the new Book 1 format last year, they have to fill the numbers somehow. Justifying the "Quality" of Book 1 with more stock by a $30k stailion is more marketable than stock by a $15k stallion.

Book 1 by the numbers:

Savabeel(100k)  71 lots

Tavistock(65k)  84 Lots

Ocean park(30k) 41 Lots

Iffraaj(25k) 29 Lots

Fastnet might not matter when there are a few IAI, Zoustars and Snitzels to help the average.  Hard to see with the exception  of Savabeel ,Iffraaj any kiwi stallions in demand. 

Edited by Huey
Spelling

59 minutes ago, Huey said:

Fastnet might not matter when there are a few IAI, Zoustars and Snitzels to help the average.  Hard to see with the exception  of Savabeel ,Iffraaj any kiwi stallions in demand. 

2019 Book 1 numbers (2018 in brackets)

I Am Invincible 4 (3)

Snitzel 3 (4)

Zoustar 5 (4)

So unfortunately no real difference to fill Fastnet's lack of numbers.

I agree that apart from Savabeel, hard to see any other NZ based stallions in demand. The 84 Tavistocks are a huge over supply for a stallion trending downwards in NZ's biggest market, Australia.

5 hours ago, Brando said:

2019 Book 1 numbers (2018 in brackets)

I Am Invincible 4 (3)

Snitzel 3 (4)

Zoustar 5 (4)

So unfortunately no real difference to fill Fastnet's lack of numbers.

I agree that apart from Savabeel, hard to see any other NZ based stallions in demand. The 84 Tavistocks are a huge over supply for a stallion trending downwards in NZ's biggest market, Australia.

My point wasn't  the numbers but the increase in interest  there should be for IAI and Zoustar in particular  might lead to higher prices for those horses. 

Tavistock you'd be worried  unless you had a really nice type. 

On ‎27‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:07 PM, Brando said:

Book 1 by the numbers:

Savabeel(100k)  71 lots

Tavistock(65k)  84 Lots

Ocean park(30k) 41 Lots

Iffraaj(25k) 29 Lots

Iffraaj priced below O.P and S.F.....doesn't make sense at all.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

TAVISTOCK 2018/19 NZ SEASON - WINNERS UPDATE

29 races won; 22 individual winners, 0  Group wins ; 1 Listed win (Tomelilla - Haunui Farm Karaka Classic)

·         22 wins by girls, 7 by boys

·         18 wins 1000m-1400m

·         7  wins @1500-1600m

·         4 middle distance wins (2000m -2100m; 2 of them by Shantav @ Gore)

·         0 x 2yo winners (only 1 runner) ; 6 X 3yo winners (Loose Cannon; Sunny Rose, Upscale, She's A Goddess, Blue Eyed Susie (all fillies);
          Time's Ticking (gelding)

·         19 of the 29 wins are from 5yo or older (incl 6 wins from his first crop ie 7yos) 

·         0 wins in August; 8 in Sept; 5 in Oct; 5 in Nov; 7 in Dec and 4 so far in January 2019